Any good books lately?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Nature of a Man
Congregation
Congregation

Any good books lately?

Post by Nature of a Man » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:49 pm

I'm an avid reader, I consider myself an autodidact (though others might assume I overestimate my intelligence).

The most recent books I read are Math Makes Sense by Ana Helvia Quintero and Hector Rosario. It was a good book for brushing up on the basic mathematical concepts that are neglected in education. I've always had an interest in the more 'philosophical' side of mathematics as opposed to just the 'number crunching' aspect.

I'm also reading The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky - I'm not a poker player but I enjoy mental games (e.x. competitive video gaming) and understanding how the underlying concepts can be applied universally - some interesting things I gleaned from it are how at the core, the basic strategy of games like poker is based on very simple premises, and much of success in the game boils down to playing consistently, and being able to mentally filter through the distractions around you, rather than "luck", or "tricks", as is commonly perceived.

---

I didn't see a reading thread in forum search, but I'd be interested in hearing what books others have read, and their reviews or summaries.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: Any good books lately?

Post by John-Boy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Reading Lord of the Flies with my son.

I think this is the longest of the book threads: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1601&p=21195
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:40 pm
Reading Lord of the Flies with my son.

I think this is the longest of the book threads: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1601&p=21195
I read The Hobbit to the girls recently. :)
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Nature of a Man
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:17 am

My idea of "good books" probably differs from most, lol

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:59 am

I just finished the new translation of Van 1915. Excellent!

Preacher1611
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Preacher1611 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:05 am

I'm finishing up The Lord Of The Rings series and then moving on to The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. Also reading Johns Wonderful Gospel by Ivor Powell. And of course the Bible! I've actually cut WAAAY back; I used to read around 6 books at a time.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." - Eccl. 12:13

plhildy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plhildy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:09 am

Just finished "Welcome to a Reformed Church" by Daniel R. Hyde. Followed quickly by "Steve McQueen The Salvation of an American Icon" by Greg Laurie with Marshall Terrill. Yes I recommend them both.