These rules are disclosed to clarify the various responsibilities of all community members here on Christian Pipe Smokers. They shall be adhered to by everyone to ensure that our board runs smoothly and provides a fun and productive experience for all of our community members and visitors.
Standard of Conduct
Moderator Actions - If there are any concerns over Moderator actions, the accepted method to address them is via a private message (PM) to any of the Moderators, or using the Contact Admins email address to start the dispute process. Your feedback and concerns are very valuable to the success of this board. Each and every PM will be read and investigated. However, until specifically adjudicated by a Moderator for a reversal, the Moderator action is considered official.
Publicly negative behavior from a member regarding a Moderator's capacity as a Mod, the Moderator Team in general, or Moderator actions are not conducive to addressing your concerns. PM or email are the only acceptable means of staring the Dispute process. #
Baiting/Flaming/Trolling - To bait someone in a general sense is to make a comment with a purposeful intent to coerce some form of response from the individual. In some cases this device can be a useful tool of debate, eliciting responses to highlight a point or reveal an underlying truth concerning someone’s argument. However, in other cases the intent of the bait is less focused on debating. “Flamebaiting” is making statements intended to cause an angry or emotional response/flame from the person. Another form of baiting is known as “derailing” or “thread-jacking”. This is deliberate act of making statements with an aim of diverting the topic of a thread significantly from its main focus. These negative forms of baiting constitute a rules violation that may potentially lead to the Progressive Discipline process.
Essentially, let's keep topics "On Topic" in areas outside of the Youth Room forum.
"Originally, flame meant to carry forth in a passionate manner in the spirit of honorable debate. Flames most often involved the use of flowery language and flaming well was an art form. More recently flame has come to refer to "any kind of derogatory comment no matter how witless or crude."[google] Derogatory flaming is bound to happen. Common sense will prevail, yet this is not an invitation to flame. e.g. "You stupid *****ing moron," is completely unacceptable and will likely lead to a suspension of posting privileges through the Progressive Discipline process. #
- Don't Be A Dink - This simply means what it sounds like. Acting like a Dink is acting like a jerk, and "uncool" person, or one who acts in a senseless, stupid manner. Essentially, don't be a jerk. #
Politics - We want to keep it friendly and fun here on CPS. While Political discussions may start out fine at first, these discussions historically melt into a steaming pile of anger and hurt feelings. Political threads have made it nearly impossible to maintain the type of atmosphere that properly defines CPS, as such Political discussions are forbidden as of 21August2017 permanently.
This ban includes posts, comments, avatars, signatures, and so on containing political content in any form. Such expression of Political content within CPS is prohibited. Moderator interpretation shall hold sway in all instances. Dispute with Moderator decisions may only occur via PMs to the Moderators or via the CPS Admins email link. See also the Moderators rule.
The single exception to this rule are political discussions surrounding tobacco policies and legislation. This is the only exception. These discussions are allowed in the Fellowship Forum.
Violations of the ban will be met with the Progressive Discipline process.
Example topics to be avoided include, but are not limited to:
- Breaking News unrelated to Pipes, Tobacco, or Religion outside of the acceptable posts within the Theology Forum
- Abortion (this is too much of a Politicized topic to allow any sort of acceptable usage on CPS during the ban time period - there are no exceptions). Pro Life versus Pro Choice discussions are encouraged to remain civil and leveled
- Government Spending and Debt
- The Right or Wrongness of Protests or Civil Unrest
- US Partisan Politics, Pro/Con viewpoints of the standing Administration and/or Government, and Political Platforms
- Local, State, Federal, and International Politics unrelated to Pipes, Tobacco, or Religion outside of the acceptable posts within the Theology Forum
- Sex and Sexuality
Progressive Discipline - Users that violate any of the CPS Policy rules may be issued a Warning, either in the thread where the offense took place in or via a Private Message (PM) - whenever possible: both.
In certain circumstances due to excessive violation of rules, see "Advanced Progressive Discipline " in specific CPS rules, Progressive Discipline may advance at the discretion and agreement of Admins where the initial warnings are waived, and Temporary or Permanent Bans may occur as deemed necessary.
Progressive discipline is as follows:
- Warnings within the post itself, and/or a PM to the author
- A First Warning through the Forum software that will last 30 days - any violations occurring within that 30 day period will incur a Second Warning (see below), and will reset to a non-Warned state at the expiration of the 30 days assuming no Second Warning
- A Second Warning through the Forum software that will last an additional 30 days assuming the previous warning has not expired within the 30 day time frame it was issued, and will reset to a non-Warned state at the expiration of the 30 days. This is the last state in which warnings will reset automatically - all other will be tracked by the Admins
- One Week "Time out", a one-week temporary ban, if the next instance occurs before the expiration of the Second Warning's 30 day duration. One year's time after the One week "Time out" will reset the User's warning tracking state
- One Month "Time out", a one-month temporary ban, if the next instance occurs within one calendar year of the One Week "Time out". One year's time after the One Month "Time out" will reset the User's warning tracking state
- Permanent Ban if the next instance occurs within one calendar year of the One Month "Time out"
Spamming - What constitutes spamming can be, but is not limited to, "A message (typically an advertisement) sent indiscriminately to a wide set of discussion lists [forums] or newsgroups."[google] in Forums where they are not wanted. Also, any message or series of messages promoting a product, site or service made by a member who does not demonstrate the intention and willingness to participate in the normal discourse of the CPS can be considered spamming. Spamming and/or spam bots will not be tolerated and can result in immediate banning of the spammer.
Acceptable advertisement may be placed in the Classifieds portion of the site only, and is preferred to be CPS appropriate. Advertisement material must also follow the CPS Policy rules for Acceptable Behavior. #
- Avatars - Offensive avatars will be removed summarily. #
English - All threads will written be in the English language. Threads and posts which are not written in English may be edited or deleted at the discretion of a Moderator.
Please include translations with any posts that are not in English with a credible translation. #
- Bypassing the Word Censor - In the interest of maintaining civility, profanity is strongly discouraged here at CPS. As such, certain words are censored by our software. When censored words are entered into a post, they will show as *asterisks* or a replacement word/phrase. Attempts to bypass the Word Censor includes but is not limited to: letter substitutions, inserting extra letters, using special characters or symbols, using BBCode, or using HTML formatting. If you bypass the word censor will be met with the Progressive Discipline process. Basically there are two viable choices available: either choose an innocuous word, or use the intended word and allow the software to auto-mask. If a word is not censored and you feel that it should be, please PM a member of the Moderation Team and we will consider your suggestion. The list of censored words has been scaled back and made more consistent. #
Copyrighted Material - All material posted from copyrighted material MUST contain a link to the original work.
Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 US CODE: Title 17,107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
Copyright and Digital Millennium Act Laws are in effect for the contents of CPS posts due to the Geolocality of the Database CPS uses.
Please Review the following helpful articles in determining how best to judge "Fair Use" as we've had quite a few instances where that has been exceeded, terribly:
- http://www.dailyblogtips.com/copyright- ... and-donts/
- http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... 30100.html
- https://www.copyright.com/Services/copy ... rules.html
- Fair-Use - A limitation of two (2) medium-sized paragraphs ( three to four sentences each) per thread is allowed for the quoting and display of any external "same-source" material. Same-source material is considered to be material borrowed from the same author, the same internet article, the same web page, the same web site, or the same publication. Do not exceed this limitation, nor attempt to bypass this limitation via consecutive/subsequent/plagiarized thread postings. Proper format is to Copy & Paste a maximum of two medium-sized paragraphs of same-source material and offer a link to the material source page for further reading. Moderator discretion shall prevail here. Repeated violations will be met with the Progressive Discipline process. #
Advertisements - Advertisements are allowed only in the following forums:
- Private Sales - Only *Personal* Trades or Sales Here in the Forums between CPS Members (No eBay or external sales)
- Vendor Sales - Here's the place for Vendor Sales, business ads and EBay links
Privacy - Posting personal email addresses, full names, places of employment, and phone numbers (etc.) for any purpose will not be tolerated. This is a breach of privacy, and will be met with an accelerated Progressive Discipline process.
The posting of PMs sent to you from another poster are considered private and will not be posted publicly. On occurrence, the post will be deleted and the offense will be met with the Progressive Discipline process.. This does NOT apply to posting PMs with each other. #
Hate Messages - Hate Messages delivered via threads, posts, signatures, or PMs are forbidden at CPS. The Moderator Team defines a hate message as a comment using one of the following towards a “protected group” or an individual based on their identity in a “protected group” in an extreme manner:
A) The support for or a call for violence
B) The suggestion of removal of essential civil liberties
C) Claims of severe dehumanization
D) Claims of illegal behavior across the entire group
Protected groups under this rule:
c) Religion including those of an Atheistic or Agnostic belief
d) Sexual orientation
e) National origin
f) Gender (including transgendered, non-gendered, etc)
Depending on the degree of the infraction, the offense will be met with the Progressive Discipline process or an advanced Progressive Discipline process. #
Pornography / Nudity / Graphic Images - Instances of clear and purposeful sexual or lewd nudity, or sexual acts, may not be posted or linked to anywhere on the site. Instances of extreme images, such as severe violence or grave injury, may not be posted anywhere on the site.
Other instances of sexually suggestive imagery, non-sexual nudity, or graphic content may be removed if deemed too far outside of good taste for CPS and/or is not directly related to the discussion at hand. Threads started with a topic focusing on such imagery will be closed. Repeated instances of an individual posting such images will result in an advancement of the Progressive Discipline process. #
Harassment - Harassing a poster inside or outside of CPS (unsolicited) will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to:
- continuing to send unwanted PMs after being asked to stop
- unwanted contact via calling members at home or work
- attempts to hack into their personal e-mail
- attempts to hack into a personal website or account
- sending anything through the mail/UPS/Fed-Ex, etc... that is unwelcome.
Violations will be met with the Progressive Discipline process, and may be further met with an AdvancedProgressive Discipline process depending on the level of the infraction. #
- Slurs - Slurs delivered in an offensive manner via threads, posts, signatures, or PMs are forbidden at CPS. The Moderator Team defines a slur as a known and highly "charged" term directed at one of the “protected groups” identified in the Hate Messages rule. Violations will be met with the Progressive Discipline process. #
- Post Editing - Posts you make may be edited within a twenty-four (24) hour period after posting. After this point, editing is disabled. If you have a need to edit a post after this twenty-four hour period, you may request an Admin or Mod via a PM to modify the post if you can provide sufficient rationale as to why. Please make it a practice to make these requests infrequent. #
Thou shalt not Catch Errors - Do not Catch Errors as they are none of your damned business.
Catchable fatal error: Argument 1 passed to phpbb\notification\type\base::__construct() must implement interface phpbb\db\dr ...
Should this occur, thou shalt recite Four Our Fathers, Eight Hail Marys, an Act of Contrition, and keep it to yourself. #
- Moderator Actions - If there are any concerns over Moderator actions, the accepted method to address them is via a private message (PM) to any of the Moderators, or using the Contact Admins email address to start the dispute process. Your feedback and concerns are very valuable to the success of this board. Each and every PM will be read and investigated. However, until specifically adjudicated by a Moderator for a reversal, the Moderator action is considered official.
New User Rules
- Acknowledgement of Binding Rules of Conduct and Terms of Service - By accessing “Christian Pipe Smokers” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “Christian Pipe Smokers”, “http://christianpipesmokers.net”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms as well as the Code of Conduct. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “Christian Pipe Smokers”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “Christian Pipe Smokers” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended. #
- Acknowledgement of the Board Software - Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Limited”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “GNU General Public License v2” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions; phpBB Limited is not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: https://www.phpbb.com/. #
- Acknowledgement of Acceptable Interactions with CPS and Limitation of Liability - You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Christian Pipe Smokers” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Christian Pipe Smokers” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Christian Pipe Smokers” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised. #
- Acknowledgement of the Preservation of Posts and Waiving the Right to IPR Posted on CPS - By your initial or continued use of the forums You also agree that: any posts made on the “Christian Pipe Smokers” forum will remain as-is without editing twenty-four hours after posting AND “Christian Pipe Smokers” remains the Custodian of any posts made here - that You relinquish any and all claim to the materials posted within after posting as it will be held for the benefit of the community at large. #
Acknowledgement of Copyright and Fair-Use Compliance - Also Users of the “Christian Pipe Smokers” forum shall comply with US Copyright and Digital Millennium Act Laws for the contents of “Christian Pipe Smokers” posts due to the Geolocality of the Database the forum uses. Please Review the following helpful articles in determining how best to judge "Fair Use":
http://www.dailyblogtips.com/copyright- ... and-donts/
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... 30100.html
https://www.copyright.com/Services/copy ... ules.htmli
Warnings to the offending User and edits will occur regardless of the location of the post if it fails to meet compliance. #
Acknowledgement of the New User Process - Finally, at the time you are registering for a new account, you agree that you will respond to all emails sent by our Administrators as well as the site itself after you have registered and after you have been initially approved for access inquiring particular questions regarding your registration (there are two question you must answer fully and completely). We also require you to you to introduce yourself to the Community. Failure to respond to the questions or failure to respond to the questions in a manner acceptable to the Administrators will result in eventual deletion of said registration, deletion to occur at the discretion of the Administrators. Approval of membership is solely reserved by the Administrators of this forum. Further, as you agreed at Approval of membership is solely reserved by the Administrators of this forum and may occur within a day to a week of responding to the initial welcome email generated by the site.
In the meantime, your password has been securely stored in our database and cannot be retrieved. In the event that it is forgotten, you will be able to reset it using the email address associated with your account. Thank you for registering! #