Pipe Tobacco Cellar, 2018

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
plainview
Usher
Usher

Pipe Tobacco Cellar, 2018

Post by plainview » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm

How'd you best describe your pipe tobacco cellar, in terms of size?

A) Under a pound stashed away in a closet - a few loose mason jars and open tins.

B) Over 100 pounds taking over the spare bedroom meticulously logged in a spreadsheet.

C) Or somewhere in between A and B?

Bonus questions:

A) How does your cellar lean? Virginia, perique, burley, latakia, oriental, etc.

B) Cellaring goals for 2018?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Pipe Tobacco Cellar, 2018

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:10 pm

A.) Maybe two to four lbs.

Second A.) Virginia

B.) Buy what you folk sell off.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:16 pm

C but way closer to A.

My cellar leans burley then latakia.

I want to double my cellar in 2018. I only have On The Town now but I eventually want to keep the entire Frog Morton series in my cellar.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:31 pm

Since it's on-topic, thought I'd drop in a great quote from Rusty about cellaring from an earlier thread:
Rusty wrote: IMO pipe tobacco products do not improve with age. They do change with age and whether we like the result of long age is largely a matter of taste, that can vary with the product and of course our experience and expectations, but they were all at their best in the first year after they were made, I think. So pipe tobacco products that still provide a smoking experience quite similar to off the shelf 1st year flavour (to be readily recognizable) at a decade or more are unusual. The most usual affliction from longer age (ie at about a decade or more) is a noticeable loss of flavour in the tobacco itself and of course loss of toppings. Most of the beneficial changes have occurred in the first year after manufacturing and thereafter there is a long slide to something less.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Somewhere between A and B, leaning a little bit toward B in the past two or three years. Rusty’s other thought on cellaring was to stock up on tobacco you love because the future of pipe tobacco is uncertain.

I’ve discovered that the changes that take place in a tin of aged Virginia or VaPer are generally changes that I like.

Consequently, my cellar is mostly tinned straight Virginias and VaPers.
Some tinned English.

Maybe 30% jarred bulk roughly evenly divided between Virginias, VaPers, English, Burley and aromatics, but these are technically not “cellared.” The jarred tobaccos don’t usually sit around more than a few months to a couple of years - with the exception of some jarred Peter Stokkebye bulk flakes and coins that are aging.

And the recent McClelland news has caused my stock of McClelland to grow considerably in the past few weeks. My expected last addition of 40th Anniversary is arriving today.

Most of my cellar is at home, but some of it is on a shelf at work in a temperature controlled office.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm

I used to keep everything logged and tracked, but realized pipe smoking was becoming work and I was doing it wrong. My cellar is somewhere between 40 and 45 pounds, I suspect. I would also guess, in order of volume, it's VAs, burleys, and Latakia blends. There's a fair amount of random stuff that I will likely never smoke from when I first started and had even less of a clue than I have now.

I don't have any cellaring goals for '18. I haven't purchased serious volumes of anything in two or three years now, limiting my purchases to stuff being sold here or anecdotal amounts of something one of y'all brags about or brings-up for discussion. It was my tradition to buy a few tins of Christmas Cheer each July, but I guess that's all jacked-up now.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 pm

For all of you guys with big old cellars, remember to make appropriate provisions in the event of your demise. Now, I don't mean that in terms of give it to me if something unfortunate happens, although it would be much appreciated, of course.

I mean, make sure your loved ones know where it's located and its resale value, and about reputable gents like pipestud who can sell it off for them. I don't mean to be morbid, but I've benefited from ignorance a couple of times at estate sales. Make sure people you trust know about all of your collections.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:30 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 pm
For all of you guys with big old cellars, remember to make appropriate provisions in the event of your demise.
Great advice. I've got a plan, but need to expand it some. We've got a thread about this issue somewhere around here.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Good thread. I would guess maybe 15 - 20 pounds. Tins and jars. Virginia, and Virginia-perique. No goals other than to keep buying Gawith Hoggarth, & Co Brown Flake 500 gram bricks. That does have 13% Malawi burley
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 pm

I have a stash of 2-3 lbs perhaps. Most if not all are english, orientals, etc. Most if not all are blends that are either no longer available or soon will be no longer available. All are in a special cabinet in my office.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:For all of you guys with big old cellars, remember to make appropriate provisions in the event of your demise. Now, I don't mean that in terms of give it to me if something unfortunate happens, although it would be much appreciated, of course.

I mean, make sure your loved ones know where it's located and its resale value, and about reputable gents like pipestud who can sell it off for them. I don't mean to be morbid, but I've benefited from ignorance a couple of times at estate sales. Make sure people you trust know about all of your collections.
Then my wife will find out what I actually spent ... She'll kill me again.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:For all of you guys with big old cellars, remember to make appropriate provisions in the event of your demise. Now, I don't mean that in terms of give it to me if something unfortunate happens, although it would be much appreciated, of course.

Then my wife will find out what I actually spent ... She'll kill me again.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
My biggest fear is that my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Fortunately, I was able to add to my cellar recently. It constrains the bakky I like, though not all the bakky I like or want. Sam’s cellar i far more manly than mine. I don’t have cellar envy. I am happy for Sam and Sam’s Massive sized cellar,
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm certain that I have a couple of lifetime's supply of PT. I started my cellar a few years before joining here on CPS.

I've always suggested that after tithe, giving alms, sponsoring a child, paying your bills first etc etc that you should store up PT that you enjoy.

I continue to add just a wee bit here and there.

Be responsible first and then cellar and enjoy the hobby.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:56 am

I have a little over 33 lbs cellared at my parent's house. Most have at least some form of Latakia blended in, but I have a decent variety (6% of VAs apparently, so I need to expand upon that). The issue I have is getting my cellar to me in Kenya. I am only to bring 250g in at a time, and I typically smoke it all before half the year is up. There have been some very kind CPSers though that send me a tin here and there, which helps.

I need to order more to be honest of the stuff I like, particularly Germain and McConnell stuff, but that stuff seems rarer than gold these past few years.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:10 pm
A.) Maybe two to four lbs.

Second A.) Virginia

B.) Buy what you folk sell off.
Almost ditto.
About 25 half pint jars containing anywhere from a half ounce to 2 ounces each. More Latakia blends than I need/desire as a percentage (maybe 20%). Mostly Virginias though.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 pm
Good thread. I would guess maybe 15 - 20 pounds. Tins and jars. Virginia, and Virginia-perique. No goals other than to keep buying Gawith Hoggarth, & Co Brown Flake 500 gram bricks. That does have 13% Malawi burley
Is there Lakeland essence in the Gawith Hoggarth, & Co Brown Flake? I've never tried this blend.

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:06 pm
Somewhere between A and B, leaning a little bit toward B in the past two or three years. Rusty’s other thought on cellaring was to stock up on tobacco you love because the future of pipe tobacco is uncertain.

I’ve discovered that the changes that take place in a tin of aged Virginia or VaPer are generally changes that I like.

Consequently, my cellar is mostly tinned straight Virginias and VaPers.
Some tinned English.

Maybe 30% jarred bulk roughly evenly divided between Virginias, VaPers, English, Burley and aromatics, but these are technically not “cellared.” The jarred tobaccos don’t usually sit around more than a few months to a couple of years - with the exception of some jarred Peter Stokkebye bulk flakes and coins that are aging.

And the recent McClelland news has caused my stock of McClelland to grow considerably in the past few weeks. My expected last addition of 40th Anniversary is arriving today.

Most of my cellar is at home, but some of it is on a shelf at work in a temperature controlled office.
Thanks. Ever since the news about the red Virginias, I have had my eye on the McClelland's 40th Anniversary, too. I am hoping a couple of things - one, the 40th sticks around for a while, and two, Smoking Pipes has a great IPSD sale so I can stock up on it.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

I have between 3 & 5 pounds stashed away. It leans to the Balkan side of things and I am hoping to add some more Penzance, Presbyterian Mix, Blockade Runner and Black Frigate.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:21 pm

I have between 3 and 5 lbs and everything is pretty much burley with some combination of Virginia, perique, Latakia or dark fired leaf. Consider me a codger :D
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."