What was your last tobacco purchase?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Re: What was your last tobacco purchase?

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:04 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:43 am
Packet of antico toscani. Deliciously stinky.
They are stinky and they are delicious. They are also expensive and I'm not rich so I have a box of Kentucky Cheroots enroute.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:30 pm

A small box form Peretti containing 1oz of Black Virginia, Coffee Cavendish, Crown and D-7485 along with 2oz of 110.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Another tin of blackjack.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:09 am

Sun Bears and Stonehenge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:25 am

A 50g tin of MacBaren Vanilla Flake.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:04 am

Adam Z wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:25 am
Douce man.

50 g of Blackjack, which I watched a man at Pipe Club take half of to “sample.” Off my desk. In the back room. Before he bought a pack of pipe cleaners for a dollar thirty five.

I banned him. Some Jews give other Jews a worse name.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:16 am

hugodrax wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Douce man.

50 g of Blackjack, which I watched a man at Pipe Club take half of to “sample.” Off my desk. In the back room. Before he bought a pack of pipe cleaners for a dollar thirty five.

That’s stupid, my cellar keeps growing because I want to support the shop more than I actually smoke, but I’m ok with it. I try to buy a tin at least a couple times a month for like $15 bucks or so. It’s easier to spend money when smoking cigars, but I just haven’t been in the cigar mode lately.

Also Blackjack is good stuff!

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Ordered a tin of Burley Flake 2, and a couple oz of PS Peaches and Cream, for the remainder of summer.

I have email notifications set for Blackjack, and Sansepolcro.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:54 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:16 am
hugodrax wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Douce man.

That’s stupid, my cellar keeps growing because I want to support the shop more than I actually smoke, but I’m ok with it. I try to buy a tin at least a couple times a month for like $15 bucks or so. It’s easier to spend money when smoking cigars, but I just haven’t been in the cigar mode lately.

You're wise. The online concerns are going to put the little guys out and then the government is going to ban mail order shipments of tobacco and then we'll all be boned. Please keep the little guys in business even if it means not buying as much.

I let fellows sample out of my tin all the time. Take a bowl and see if you like it. That doesn't mean get a baggie and raid my desk to smoke a few bowls at home, homiestein. There's a popular perception that pipe smokers are more cerebral people and I think, taken one at a time, it is probably true. But pipe clubs are pretty much glorious freak shows, full of autists and goonie birds all in full mating display doing random goonie bird things all over the shop...good company all, but it's enough to make one prefer the noise and penis-measuring competitions among the cigar guys. There's just something about piles of unsmoked tobacco ground in to the carpet and dirty pipe cleaners dropped between the chairs and close-talking, no-showering comic book guy standing two inches away chattering at you while you're clearly working with someone else that can annoy the crud out of far more equable men than me.

Anyway, I bought another tin of blackjack. Nobody is smoking this but me.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:10 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:16 am
hugodrax wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Douce man.

You're wise. The online concerns are going to put the little guys out and then the government is going to ban mail order shipments of tobacco and then we'll all be boned. Please keep the little guys in business even if it means not buying as much.

I let fellows sample out of my tin all the time. Take a bowl and see if you like it. That doesn't mean get a baggie and raid my desk to smoke a few bowls at home, homiestein. There's a popular perception that pipe smokers are more cerebral people and I think, taken one at a time, it is probably true. But pipe clubs are pretty much glorious freak shows, full of autists and goonie birds all in full mating display doing random goonie bird things all over the shop...good company all, but it's enough to make one prefer the noise and penis-measuring competitions among the cigar guys. There's just something about piles of unsmoked tobacco ground in to the carpet and dirty pipe cleaners dropped between the chairs and close-talking, no-showering comic book guy standing two inches away chattering at you while you're clearly working with someone else that can annoy the crud out of far more equable men than me.

Anyway, I bought another tin of blackjack. Nobody is smoking this but me.
Goodonya, yea you have the hippie pipe guys and the old geezers, I prefer to hang with the geez crowd, but we have some eclectic weirdos too. There’s this one guy who dresses like the Ken doll cowboy and talks about horses constantly, we call him Howdy Doody.

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:57 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Goodonya, yea you have the hippie pipe guys I resemble this - long hair, tie-dye, etc., and the old geezers, I prefer to hang with the geez crowd Me too - call me an old soul, or whatever... but we have some eclectic weirdos too. There’s this one guy who dresses like the Ken doll cowboy and talks about horses constantly, we call him Howdy Doody.

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:36 pm

G. L. Pease: Penny Farthing 2oz
G. L. Pease: Fillmore 2oz
Cornell & Diehl: Opening Night 2oz
G. L. Pease: Haddo's Delight 2oz

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Adam Z wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Goodonya, yea you have the hippie pipe guys I resemble this - long hair, tie-dye, etc., and the old geezers, I prefer to hang with the geez crowd Me too - call me an old soul, or whatever... but we have some eclectic weirdos too. There’s this one guy who dresses like the Ken doll cowboy and talks about horses constantly, we call him Howdy Doody.

I can dig it.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm

ChildOfGod wrote:G. L. Pease: Penny Farthing 2oz
I like all 3 of those Pease blends, smoking Fillmore right now! Haven’t tried C&D ON

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm
I like all 3 of those Pease blends, smoking Fillmore right now! Haven’t tried C&D ON
I've had some great Fillmore bowls in the past. I really like it when that "creamy" quality in the description comes through. I don't get that every time but when it does it's like no other Va/Per.

Opening Night is one of my all time faves. I haven't had it in a few years, so things may have changed, but it was one of the "fuller" blends out there, like an old Dunhill before Murray's blended for Dunhill. Just really full and wonderful Va. Hoping it's the same.

I had done a search for "Italia" here and notice that you'd tried it. I just got back from a vacation in Italy and picked up a couple pouches of Italia while there. Really like it. It's been one of my favorite Va/Bur's. Unfortunately it seems that there's no way for me to get it stateside.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Quick stop at the store before vacation.
Sola Deo Gloria

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:12 am

50g tin of HH Bold Kentucky & another of HH Burley Flake. Both purchased at the local B&M, and going into the cellar.
- C.S. Lewis

ChildOfGod

Post by ChildOfGod » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:38 am

ChildOfGod wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 am
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm
I've had some great Fillmore bowls in the past. I really like it when that "creamy" quality in the description comes through. I don't get that every time but when it does it's like no other Va/Per.

Opening Night is one of my all time faves. I haven't had it in a few years, so things may have changed, but it was one of the "fuller" blends out there, like an old Dunhill before Murray's blended for Dunhill. Just really full and wonderful Va. Hoping it's the same.

I had done a search for "Italia" here and notice that you'd tried it. I just got back from a vacation in Italy and picked up a couple pouches of Italia while there. Really like it. It's been one of my favorite Va/Bur's. Unfortunately it seems that there's no way for me to get it stateside.
I got that Opening Night and it was wonderful, just as I’d remembered it. Very satisfying. Opening Night and Fillmore are both wonderfully full blends with a full spectrum of notes (basses and trebles).

A note on fullness from a good exchange that I recall: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17651&p=407236&hilit=fuller#p407236