wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 pm

+JMJ+
Rusty wrote:
wosbald wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Spyderweb wrote:Is there an equivalent in bulk for the tinned McClelland Blackwoods Flake? I'd like to buy a pound if there is.
Nope. Each McClelland blend is exclusively either tinned or bulk. The tinned blends do not occur in bulk packaging. Nor do the bulk blends occur in McClelland tin packaging. The packaging is almost part of the blends identity.

Blackwoods Flake has no similar blend in the bulk line.
I don't think that he expects the exact same blend but just something close enough for govt. work.

#5120 is pretty close, overall. It may not be a flake (though with a lot of flakey bits, that prolly should be broken up), but it should still satisfy the urge as a rough analogue, methinks.
My goodness. These discussions over such prolonged period of times are weird.

You can't have tried #5120 if you're saying that it's similar to Blackwoods. I understand the way it reads. But the flavours are quite different. I think they're not mistakable for each under any circumstances. I've played with them trying to get something even remotely close to three McClelland tinned blends, that feature red & black Va: Dominion Glory Maduro, St. James Woods, and Blackwoods. Not even in the same ball park. I think the bulk combos available & that one can make are not even in the same city!

I think those three tinned blends are extremely good. BTW I add about 8-10% Perique to the Dominican Glory Maduro (mine is now 10 yo by McCl tin stamp date) and it really makes that one shine.
Yeah, I have and I don't think it's all that much different. But no point arguing about it. I say try it; he might like it.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:29 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Rusty wrote:
wosbald wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Spyderweb wrote:Is there an equivalent in bulk for the tinned McClelland Blackwoods Flake? I'd like to buy a pound if there is.
Nope. Each McClelland blend is exclusively either tinned or bulk. The tinned blends do not occur in bulk packaging. Nor do the bulk blends occur in McClelland tin packaging. The packaging is almost part of the blends identity.

Blackwoods Flake has no similar blend in the bulk line.
I don't think that he expects the exact same blend but just something close enough for govt. work.

#5120 is pretty close, overall. It may not be a flake (though with a lot of flakey bits, that prolly should be broken up), but it should still satisfy the urge as a rough analogue, methinks.
My goodness. These discussions over such prolonged period of times are weird.

You can't have tried #5120 if you're saying that it's similar to Blackwoods. I understand the way it reads. But the flavours are quite different. I think they're not mistakable for each under any circumstances. I've played with them trying to get something even remotely close to three McClelland tinned blends, that feature red & black Va: Dominion Glory Maduro, St. James Woods, and Blackwoods. Not even in the same ball park. I think the bulk combos available & that one can make are not even in the same city!

I think those three tinned blends are extremely good. BTW I add about 8-10% Perique to the Dominican Glory Maduro (mine is now 10 yo by McCl tin stamp date) and it really makes that one shine.
Yeah, I have and I don't think it's all that much different. But no point arguing about it. I say try it; he might like it.
It's fascinating that we expect some duplication (that's really what it is) in the McClelland tobacco line. Cheap seats. And we can argue about it too. What else do we need? No it isn't/Yes it is No it isn't/Yes it is No it isn't/Yes it is .... Fun eh? This is the reserve of personal taste. And we have no measures at all.

I've played mixing 5100 & 5105 and none are like 5120. I expected otherwise. Also the mix of 5100 + 5105 wouldn't be as popular as it is because it would duplicate an available orderable bulk. There is something else in 5120 that makes it different. And it didn't seem to be at all like Blackwoods, nor, with Perique, was it even close to St. James. Frankly, I was little surprised about 5120 but I'm not surprised that the mentioned tin blends are so good and generally not replaceable by the bulks.

I say try it too. There! We agree. Done.

Recommendations to try it are sort like recommendations to try reading the descriptions. So if you see something that appears to be a similar description it's worth trying. But in general there is no duplication.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm

{ADMINS: you may create new Thread if this shouldnt be here}

About 8 months ago, I asked for a snail mail catalog from McClelland. I had given up on hearing from them until today's mail came.

I received a thick envelop with lots of shiny flyers (some duplicates) and tobacco descriptions. It applies mostly to tinned tobaccos.

More fertilizer for TAD!
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:01 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:{ADMINS: you may create new Thread if this shouldnt be here}

About 8 months ago, I asked for a snail mail catalog from McClelland. I had given up on hearing from them until today's mail came.

I received a thick envelop with lots of shiny flyers (some duplicates) and tobacco descriptions. It applies mostly to tinned tobaccos.

More fertilizer for TAD!
I think they should not only create the thread but dredge the forum for other likely posts that would be much happier here.

But I think your post is fine right where it is, judge.

Did the McClelland package come with a small box that has an experimental blend instantiation capability? It looks like a small gum ball machine. One deposits a coin and selects among the various elemnt tobaccos and it instantiates a mature smokable sample of the blend. The only odd thing is that no ash remains after smoking it. It's like it never existed. But it's great for trying stuff. Mine has an old English manufacturers plate on it that seems to indicate that it originated in London England in 1852.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Rusty wrote:Did the McClelland package come with a small box that has an experimental blend instantiation capability?
There was a photo and description of that machine, but it had an X over it and the word DISCONTINUED stamped over it.

Actually there was an in depth flyer describing oriental tobaccos and it seemed like you may have written it.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: McClelland Bulk

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 pm

McClelland Oriental Cavendish = High Class Lane's HGL. Thus endeth the review.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.