U***n Square

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
taylor714914
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

U***n Square

Post by taylor714914 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:52 pm

I was reading GLP's The Briat & Leaf Chronicles and came across some musings on this blend. Anyone care to share their experience with this blend? What is it comparable to? I've read the reviews on Tobaccoreviews as well, just curious to hear what you guys say.

thanks!

Biker_Piper
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Biker_Piper » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:58 pm

I've polished off a couple of tins so far , & have a bit over 2 pounds
stashed away to age. for my taste, it's as good as FVF right now.
with 3 or 4 years of aging it will be the stuff of Legends.

taylor714914
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by taylor714914 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:12 pm

No one else has any experience?

USA_traveller
Usher
Usher

Post by USA_traveller » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Biker_Piper wrote:I've polished off a couple of tins so far , & have a bit over 2 pounds
My first tins were on back order and just arrived -- probably because Biker Piper bought up all the original supply! :wink:

I'm in the midst of a half dozen other tins right now, but I plan to smoke this as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer. I'll weigh in then.
"Alone with none but Thee, my God,
I journey on my way;
What need I fear when Thou art near,
Oh King of night and day?
More safe am I within Thy hand
Than if a host did round me stand."
--Attributed to Saint Columba.

taylor714914
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by taylor714914 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:44 pm

USA_traveller wrote:
Biker_Piper wrote:I've polished off a couple of tins so far , & have a bit over 2 pounds
My first tins were on back order and just arrived -- probably because Biker Piper bought up all the original supply! :wink:

I'm in the midst of a half dozen other tins right now, but I plan to smoke this as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer. I'll weigh in then.
Excellent. Thanks

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:44 am

I'm still working my way through a tin. So far it is a solid straight VA. My palate is not so refined that I can tell different nuances between tobaccos. This rates right up there with FVF and Marlin Flake, however I find Marlin Flake to be somewhat of a softer, more delicate smoke.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Re: U***n Square

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 pm

I just popped open a two year old tin of U***n Square. The tin was bulging and sounded like opening a soda can. Wow is it different with age! A lot softer, very creamy tasting. Most of the spice has settled down.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 pm
I just popped open a two year old tin of U***n Square. The tin was bulging and sounded like opening a soda can. Wow is it different with age! A lot softer, very creamy tasting. Most of the spice has settled down.
I am curious to learn what some others here have also thought about U-nion Square. Some reviews seem to say that it is a strong tobacco. With McClelland having vanished, my curiosity is based upon wondering how close a blend like this might be to McCl straight Virginias. I have a tin on the way from 4Noggins so I shall soon have a report on it, too.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am

Just finished decanting a 2nd 2018 tin of GL Pease Un-ion Square and just lit up a bowl of it. Though this is still fresh I definitely can see how this would age beautifully. So I'm not going to touch the three 8 ounce tins I just got. Gonna call around to see if I might find some older tins to smoke.

This is really a very very good straight Virginia. As 'ol Rusty would have said, "It doesn't have any Perique and it doesn't need any."

Last edited by Goose55 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:08 am

Why is the “U” word getting censored? Even in the South, this word is not considered coarse.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:23 am

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:08 am
Why is the “U” word getting censored? Even in the South, this word is not considered coarse.
Not sure, but look into this tobacco Adam. Especially if you liked the McClelland straight Virginias

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:40 am

Goose55 wrote:
Not sure, but look into this tobacco Adam. Especially if you liked the McClelland straight Virginias
I'll add it to my wish list. I've actually never smoked a McClelland straight Virginia. The only blend of theirs I've smoked is Frog Morton. I started smoking about a month after McClelland closed, and by that point their stuff was pretty much gone. I was able to acquire a single tin each of Frog Morton, and Frog Morton's Cellar (haven't popped the tin on the FMC yet).

There are more blends on my wish list of things to try than I have money to purchase - especially when I want to stock up on the stuff I know I love (GH). I think my TAD is a little bit worse than my PAD.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:28 am

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:40 am
Goose55 wrote:
I've actually never smoked a McClelland straight Virginia. The only blend of theirs I've smoked is Frog Morton.
Well, then, you don't know what you missed and perhaps that is good. McClelland produced the finest Virginia and Virginia Perique Flake tobacco the world had ever known. Nothing touched it.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:08 am
The old forum software didn't like the word for some reason and the admins carried it through to the new software simply for old times sake. The old system would simply eat your entire post when you hit submit. Poof! It would just disappear so we learned how to work around it by using close approximations. I always used 'onion'.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe