Help - my cheap Vanilla Cavendish doesn't seem so Vanilla...

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
dmrey
Congregation
Congregation

Help - my cheap Vanilla Cavendish doesn't seem so Vanilla...

Post by dmrey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Besides blending with a stronger vanilla blend, how can I take a cheap CVS Vanilla Cavendish blend and make it more Vanilla tasting/smelling? I ask because I can't tell the difference in smell between it and the Black and Gold Cavendish, but the CVS Cherry Cavendish stands out nicely, and is detectable, albeit mild.

TNLawPiper
1-800-LAW-DAWG
1-800-LAW-DAWG

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:45 pm

This problem is common with aromatic tobacco. I don't know how you could revamp the flavors without adding foreign substances that you might not want to inhale. Unfortunately, this is one of the main reasons why most of us don't smoke aromatic tobacco anymore.
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Has anyone ever tried sprinkling a little vanilla extract onto the tobacco?
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:11 am

coco wrote:Has anyone ever tried sprinkling a little vanilla extract onto the tobacco?
I remember reading somewhere that you can, but vanilla is EXTREMELY potent stuff. I'd probably steep a Vanilla bean in some good rum or bourbon, and then mist the baccy with it using a cheap misting bottle. That, however, is pure conjecture- experiment at your own risk. At the very least, you'll have to jar it up for a while to let it infuse, then dry it out a bit again.
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

Pat1075
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Pat1075 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:24 am

MacGuru wrote:
coco wrote:Has anyone ever tried sprinkling a little vanilla extract onto the tobacco?
I remember reading somewhere that you can, but vanilla is EXTREMELY potent stuff. I'd probably steep a Vanilla bean in some good rum or bourbon, and then mist the baccy with it using a cheap misting bottle. That, however, is pure conjecture- experiment at your own risk. At the very least, you'll have to jar it up for a while to let it infuse, then dry it out a bit again.
this method would actually work quite well I've had some success topping englishes with whiskies in a similar manner
However if you want a very sweet vanilla blend mosey on down to your local tobacanist get yourself some BLWB. Then its off to the liquor store to get something already infused vanilla liquor (vodka, rum whatnot you know chick stuff) and infuse it with more vanilla (this takes months and add lots of sugar). Then soak the tobacco in this concoction then dry it back out to a smokable state. Or if you don't feel like taking this amount of time or don't like keeping alcohol around the house anymor like me just water down some torani vanilla syrup and do the same thing. This method is called casing.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:11 am

I'm not really into aromatics, but the process is interesting to me. Lots of things will release flavor and aroma into a neutral clear liquor like vodka. Presumably things other than vanilla could be steeped in vodka and then misted onto tobacco, for those who were so inclined. Like chutney.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:47 am

I know I might be missing something here, but it seems like the obvious/easiest solution would be to try some other vanilla-flavored tobaccos. I think C&D has some blends that would qualify and you might also check some of the Gawith Hoggarth aromatics. In addition, Samuel Gawith 1792 has a decidedly vanilla signature though it is a good bit stronger than the typical aromatic, don't know if that's something you'd want or not. Good luck getting it sorted out.

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:24 am

Any time I’ve spoken to Rusty about adding any sort of flavoring to home blends and mixes using any sort of moisture he cautions me about introducing a mold producing condition to the mix, which of course would ruin the experiment.

But, and I have not tried this yet, I think if you just tinkered with a small amount of ‘baccy (like 18-25 grams) and see what happens and if you’re successful step up the process very slowly to see where it leads you. But this is just an idea I have not tried for myself yet.

When I do try it this is what I think might work.

Measure out 15 grams of whatever leaf I am working with. Spread it out on dry paper. Add toping (in this case I think the vanilla bean soaked in rum is a good idea or a drop or two of extract added to small amount of rum – taste it so see the flavor by finger dip) by lightly misting. Put the topped leaf in a bowl and mix it by tossing. Re spread it out and let it dry to the moisture level you would smoke. Jar it and let it meld for 30 days or better and then try it. Go from there.

Painfully long process, but anticipation is sometimes worth the wait.
DL Jake

It's the closest I have ever come to being in a Soviet bread line. - MrsCoco

7formy1911
Colt = PERFECTION
Colt = PERFECTION

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:49 am

Here's what you do... take all the Vanilla cavendish, bag it up, toss it in your next campfire and then go down to your local 'baccy store and pick up some Prince Albert. Problem solved :wink:

Honestly I've never messed with anything like that so good luck in whatever you decide to do!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

TNLawPiper
1-800-LAW-DAWG
1-800-LAW-DAWG

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 am

7formy1911 wrote:Here's what you do... take all the Vanilla cavendish, bag it up, toss it in your next campfire and then go down to your local 'baccy store and pick up some Prince Albert. Problem solved :wink:

Honestly I've never messed with anything like that so good luck in whatever you decide to do!
+1 :lol:
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:56 am

There are a TON of vanilla blends out there. I'd say keep sampling till you found something that pleases the tongue.

You may want to start HERE <---- CLICK HERE!! GO ON, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!! JRUEGG WAS NICE ENOUGH TO FIND A LINK FOR YOU.
:D :lol: :D

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:50 am

Here is a diy method of topping your own aromatic blends. Though most basic would be mix some vanilla extract (go for an all natural extract) with an alcohol (could be vodka as a neutral base or rum for a bit of additional flavor or whatever you have or prefer) Mist the the tobacco with this mix, toss together and pack in a jar for a day or two for flavors to meld and then take it out and let it air dry to a decent moisture level and then store in jars.

Actually it might be easier and potentially cheaper to toss and get a pouch of captain black or maybe a tin of various vanilla blends outs there.

Or try smoking slower and less hot, this effects the quality and level of flavor (or try a different pipe)
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:27 pm

jruegg wrote:There are a TON of vanilla blends out there. I'd say keep sampling till you found something that pleases the tongue.

You may want to start HERE <---- CLICK HERE!! GO ON, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!! JRUEGG WAS NICE ENOUGH TO FIND A LINK FOR YOU.
Link? Where? What? Can't find it... Image
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 pm

MacGuru wrote:
jruegg wrote:There are a TON of vanilla blends out there. I'd say keep sampling till you found something that pleases the tongue.

Link? Where? What? Can't find it... Image
Click on the "HERE" above. Or was that a joke? Cause if it was, YA GOT ME!

sleepinggecko
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sleepinggecko » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:45 pm

I agree with "try smoking more slowly".

Personally, I enjoy aromatics, and I mostly smoke cheap blends (a little bit of Squadron Leader or some other now and then, but I mostly stick to aro's and PA). I do enjoy the sweetness on a topped blend, but I usually can't smell the vanilla or other room note while I'm smoking. Occasionally, I can get a bit of the flavor in my smoke, but not too often.

For example, switching between a "Rum and Maple" and a "Vanilla" from the same brand, I can tell a difference, but will only get occasional R&M flavors from the former and V flavors from the latter.

Seems to work better when I'm not thinking about it :lol:
Please pardon any typos...I probably typed this message one-handed while holding a baby.

dasmokeryaget
Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero

Re: Help - my cheap Vanilla Cavendish doesn't seem so Vanill

Post by dasmokeryaget » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:41 pm

dmrey wrote:Besides blending with a stronger vanilla blend, how can I take a cheap CVS Vanilla Cavendish blend and make it more Vanilla tasting/smelling? I ask because I can't tell the difference in smell between it and the Black and Gold Cavendish, but the CVS Cherry Cavendish stands out nicely, and is detectable, albeit mild.
MAcBArens VAnilla Flake.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:04 pm

coco wrote:I'm not really into aromatics, but the process is interesting to me. Lots of things will release flavor and aroma into a neutral clear liquor like vodka. Presumably things other than vanilla could be steeped in vodka and then misted onto tobacco, for those who were so inclined. Like chutney.
or bacon

HBR
Congregation
Congregation

Post by HBR » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Think I'd try your first idea (mix the CVS with a stronger vanilla blend) before moving to the more complex fixes. I've found that a bit of Lane's BCA (Black Cavendish Aromatic) often helps a limp vanilla blend. BCA is a (relatively) inexpensive bulk tobacco sold under various local names at most B&M pipe stores and widely available from online vendors. Some folks also like BCA "straight." There are about 60 reviews of BCA at http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/ so you can "learn before you burn."

dmrey
Congregation
Congregation

Post by dmrey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:37 pm

thanks for all the replies...

I dripped a few drops of artificial vanilla that I had in the spice cabinet, and shook up the container after mixing it by hand.

I think I'll try to get some of the Lane BCA.

Slightly off topic - but being more interested in cheaper aromatics - could I do worse than buying a sample of each of the Lane blends available online from WV Smokehouse?

Also - I picked up a very nice blend from a local B&M called 'Berries & Cream - and it's wonderful stuff. I can't imagine them buying and reselling a similar blend from Boswell - and I'm wondering if maybe I should just skip Lane's basic aromatics and spend twice as much on Boswells aromatics?

Thanks for any more feedback I get from this wonderful group. I guess I'm just at the point of a new pipe smoker who wants to put up a few pounds but needs to figure out what I really enjoy and can afford.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:40 pm

Have you tried Just For Him's Shortcut To Mushrooms? Nice natural vanilla taste, not overpowering, with a bit of Latakia.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1