Help - my cheap Vanilla Cavendish doesn't seem so Vanilla...

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
dmrey
Congregation
Congregation

Post by dmrey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:43 pm

coco wrote: or bacon
When I get a chance - I might infuse some liquid smoke (mesquite) flavor into a bland cheap tobacco and see if it tastes like bacon ... :lol:

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:51 pm

dmrey wrote:
When I get a chance - I might infuse some liquid smoke (mesquite) flavor into a bland cheap tobacco and see if it tastes like bacon ... :lol:
You might want to add a pig, too.
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:37 am

dmrey wrote:
Please post your results
:D
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Hauser
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Hauser » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:55 pm

coco wrote:
dmrey wrote:
Please post your results
Ohhh yeah!!!! Killer idea. You might want to roll the tobacco with paper thin slices of prosciutto after you liqiud smoke it.
"Christians are like manure: spread them out and they help everything grow better, but keep them in one big pile and they stink horribly" - Crazy Love    A tattoo on a beautiful woman is like graffiti on a Ferrari

dmrey
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Help - my cheap Vanilla Cavendish doesn't seem so Vanill

Post by dmrey » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:30 pm

dmrey wrote:Besides blending with a stronger vanilla blend, how can I take a cheap CVS Vanilla Cavendish blend and make it more Vanilla tasting/smelling? I ask because I can't tell the difference in smell between it and the Black and Gold Cavendish, but the CVS Cherry Cavendish stands out nicely, and is detectable, albeit mild.
Is the problem that Admirals Choice Black and Gold Cavendish is also cased with some Vanilla? maybe I don't know what Vanilla is supposed to taste/smell like?

Anyhow - I'll post my findings here about Vanilla (& Mesquite) flavored Cavendish when I get a chance to.

Happy piping...

JungleBiker
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Help - my cheap Vanilla Cavendish doesn't seem so Vanilla...

Post by JungleBiker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:54 pm

I'm looking into this because last time I checked, PNG still wasn't receiving mail from the USPS (due to some stupid pandemic thing), and the 2 pounds I tried to have mailed through Australia were seized and destroyed, which did some pretty serious damage to my opinion of Australia. I can get locally grown tobacco, but it is pretty strong stuff--strong enough that when experimenting with it in the past I have actually cut it with tea leaves. Not terrifically satisfactory, as you can imagine.

Hmmmmmmm. What about just taking a fresh vanilla bean and putting it in the bag with a bland tobacco? Fresh vanilla beans have a strong vanilla smell to them that I imagine would get into the tobacco, though honestly I have no idea what flavours a bean might impart.

Living in PNG and having access to fresh vanilla beans from time to time, I may have to try this. A friend who used to work here suggested misting using a mix of whisky and honey, then sun drying, which he says worked pretty well for him. Perhaps a variation on his technique (I'd let the stuff sit "wet" for a few days in a sealed container, then dry it, for example) followed by storing in a container with vanilla beans...?

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re:

Post by JimVH » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:43 am

coco wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:37 am
dmrey wrote:
Please post your results
Any update?

I miss dmrey.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:46 am

Just posting a more 'live' link to the original link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100406003 ... apy_en.htm

Great read; I'm going to have to experiment some!!

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:24 pm

The solution to getting a cheap tobacco to not taste cheap is to buy better quality tobacco instead of the cheap tobacco. Problem solved. Next question.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:18 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:24 pm
The solution to getting a cheap tobacco to not taste cheap is to buy better quality tobacco instead of the cheap tobacco. Problem solved. Next question.
A novel idea.

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TheShepherd » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:48 pm

If it's dirt cheap, I wouldn't count on it tasting very authentic.

I did find this though, might be worth a try: