Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Post by Zed » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:10 pm

Anybody heard of this? Is this strong in nicotine or have latakia? Is it aromatic? I emailed Boswells and they ran out of the Mac Barren Navy Flake and offered this as an alternative.

thegreatswalmi
Sandblasted Canadian
Sandblasted Canadian

Post by thegreatswalmi » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:56 pm

i like it. it's tasty, but can bite you big time. It's a virginia/perique mix that's probably average in taste and smoothness (maybe a little less smooth)...i'd try to stick with macbaren if i were you...but that's just me :)
Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.
-Jack Handey

Zed

Post by Zed » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:57 pm

thanks.

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:05 pm

Personally, I like the MacBaren's Navy Flake much better.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:06 pm

Actually, if you really need a substitue you might try the Stokebbye Twist Flake. It is a different cut, but it does come in slices and it is closer in flavor.

-UB

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:49 pm

I just tried some of the Stokkebye luxury navy flake tonight (thanks, bal!) -- it was my first VaPer flake experience, and won't be my last. It was a complex and evolving smoke, beginning with a delicious sweetness (fig and plum came to mind), and then working into a fragrantly grassy and spicy smoke. It's very good stuff, with a medium to strong nic hit (though understand that I'm a bit wimpy on that front).

I really liked the sliced flake format, too. I just folded a plug, stuffed it into my bowl and it burned beautifully.

Can anyone give a more detailed comparison/contrast with McClelland 2015? Any suggestions for a flake that sustains more of the sweetness throughout?
"you haven't lived until you see a man camouflaged in bejeweled ghillie suit" - Thoth
"okay, so I'll blow it up" - Monarchist, of esteemed memory
"Watch me eat this entire pony" - Sysiphus

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:14 am

Having smoked even more of this, I would only note that it smokes best slowly. I had a bowl outdoors in a strong, cold Virginia breeze that turned my Boswell into something inbetween a kiln and a blowtorch, and noted the need to sip carefully, to avoid bite. Still, this is a very fragrant, tasty flake, and I think I'll be ordering my own stash of this.

Munkey
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Post by Munkey » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:40 pm

Dug wrote:Can anyone give a more detailed comparison/contrast with McClelland 2015?
No, but I can include some 2015 in the next batch of samples headed your way in our sample exchange program.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:34 pm

Munkey wrote:No, but I can include some 2015 in the next batch of samples headed your way in our sample exchange program.
[sigh] If you must....

Gregor
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Gregor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Dug wrote:
Munkey wrote:No, but I can include some 2015 in the next batch of samples headed your way in our sample exchange program.
[sigh] If you must....
Dug,
Sorry about all your troubles with, ya know, free samples and everything. I'm sure most of us around would be willing to help you out and take some off your hands LOL

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:01 pm

Hmm. Well, having exhausted the wonderful sample of this that I received from bal, I ordered my own stash which arrived today. Sadly, it smoked nothing like the delicious stuff he sent me. Could've been that I was breaking in a brand new pipe, or I'm wondering whether perhaps bal aged his or let it dry out a bit. I'm hoping that it's that, and not inconstancy in production quality. Any ideas? I want the mellow, sweet, grassy stuff I had before!

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:30 pm

Well, after a year and a half of aging, I popped (or, more accurately, strained and pried) open my heat and paraffin-sealed jar of this blend.

Time has mellowed it, but more as a matter of degree than metamorphisis. In the jar, it still does not evoke the deep, fermented VA sweetness of, say, McC 2015, but is robustly assertive in ways that suggest tomatoes and metal (think sun-dried tomatoes and the taste of keys, or a low-voltage battery on the tongue, if that makes any sense).

I'm smoking it well rubbed-out tonight, and am finding it a reputable and economical -- even if not superlative -- example of a VaPer flake. It shifts and develops throughout the bowl, beginning with a the sour brightness of cut grass, before settling into broader mid-tones that intermittently suggest yeast and toasty figs. The perique tickle is there throughout and -- although it has been friendly to me -- hints that modest sipping is advisable (sort of the tobacco equivalent of PnP's provisional welcomes to newcomers). Toward the end there are insistent murmurs of a sour mash tang, punctuated by momentary flashes of Eggo waffle left in the toaster a bit too long.

All in all, it credibly (though temporarily) fits the niche of the one non-latakia blend that I try to keep open in my home rotation, even if it doesn't threaten to supplant any of my beloved English and Balkan blends. As something "different" it fits the bill just fine. If you're a VaPer afficianado, you may want to buy, age, and try some for the experience, particularly given the bulk price. It has earned my respect, even if not my raves. I would enjoy it more if it were sweeter.

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:56 am

Have you tried Solani's 633 or GL Pease Fillmore? They certainly aren't as economical as Stokkebye, but they are delightfully sweet and consistent blends.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:05 am

I never did much like the Stokkebye Navy Flake. It always smoked a bit harsh for me. I do like the Twist Flake but it has no perique. The Bullseye Flake has perique and is overall better than the Navy Flake to me.

I actually mixed some Twist Flake with some 2015 one time and really liked it. The 2015 was good but still a little harsh for me. The Twist Flake toned it down a bit.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Newly discovered flake for me.

I dig it.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:14 pm

I smoked many tins of Gawith NF, but it's been a while now, and I need to order a tin. I tried a sample of PSLNF from a box pass once and it just didn't speak to me.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)