Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Last Tin Opened

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:05 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:58 pm
C&D Sam's Blend from my Secret Santa
And? This is definitely one of my favorite tobaccos. Solidly in the #2 spot all time for me, so I'm always curious what other's think since it's not a very common or talked about tobacco. (And I repeat, I am not your SS, even though those are my initials.)

There's a funny story how I came to find this tobacco, which I'll save for when we finally meet.
Sam's Blend

I was surprised to see how black the tobacco is. I feels moist, but it lit easily. Lots and lots of smoke...I smoke mostly in the evening on the patio in the moonlight, so I enjoy a tobacco that gives plenty of visible smoke...the problem normally is that along with lots of smoke you get an ashy taste. NOT with Sam's blend. It is a mild English and no ashyness. You need to sit and contemplate this one, its tastes are subtle and to delv into them, you need to be in tune with the the peace of a quiet smoke. It would also make a great fishing/working in the yard/bird hunting... smoke...it smoked easy and well and stayed lit through the bowl...no muss no fuss. A good find in the tobacco world.

Thanks again Sneaky Secret Santa.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:25 am

Two year old 100 gram tin of McClelland Frog Morton On The Town
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 am

A 50 gram tin of McClelland - Pebblecut (Ashton Revival). Wonderful stuff and with hardly any of the McVinegar tin note.

Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Sola Deo Gloria

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:49 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:35 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:05 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:58 pm
C&D Sam's Blend from my Secret Santa
And? This is definitely one of my favorite tobaccos. Solidly in the #2 spot all time for me, so I'm always curious what other's think since it's not a very common or talked about tobacco. (And I repeat, I am not your SS, even though those are my initials.)

There's a funny story how I came to find this tobacco, which I'll save for when we finally meet.
Sam's Blend

I was surprised to see how black the tobacco is. I feels moist, but it lit easily. Lots and lots of smoke...I smoke mostly in the evening on the patio in the moonlight, so I enjoy a tobacco that gives plenty of visible smoke...the problem normally is that along with lots of smoke you get an ashy taste. NOT with Sam's blend. It is a mild English and no ashyness. You need to sit and contemplate this one, its tastes are subtle and to delv into them, you need to be in tune with the the peace of a quiet smoke. It would also make a great fishing/working in the yard/bird hunting... smoke...it smoked easy and well and stayed lit through the bowl...no muss no fuss. A good find in the tobacco world.

Thanks again Sneaky Secret Santa.
I have noticed in the last year that Sam's Blend has gone away in the 8 oz. tins. Worried this would become a has-been blend for C&D as they experiment and keep coming out with more and more new tobaccos, I sent them an email to voice my concerns. The master blender sent me a personal email reply to ensure me Sam's Blend would remain on their production list but it wasn't a strong enough seller to warrant the 8 oz. size anymore. Makes me sad I never snatched one up while I had the chance.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:21 pm

Just opened a tin of Kendal Cream deluxe flake. It’s my first time with this. I was expecting more Burley, this seems to be mostly VA. Smells fantastic out of the tin; we shall see.
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:21 pm
Just opened a tin of Kendal Cream deluxe flake. It’s my first time with this. I was expecting more Burley, this seems to be mostly VA. Smells fantastic out of the tin; we shall see.
I view you as a man of style and Grace. You'll like it.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Heh, updating my resume now. :)
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Heh, updating my resume now. :)
I had a law clerk who had "International Man of Mystery" listed under hobbies. I liked him before he ever got into the room.

How was the Kendal Cream? Delicious, right?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Actually, yes. I enjoyed it enough to sneak in a couple of bowls yesterday. So far so good.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:54 pm

First time with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:34 pm

100g tin of McClelland St. James Woods VaPer

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 pm

A tin of Celtic Mist.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue May 17, 2016 4:51 pm
I just opened a nine year old jar of McCl #5115 Old World Classic Cake.
Having not touched this stuff in a long time I just opened one of a few 2 year old 1/2 pint jars of 5115 I have and all I can say is wow. Maybe my palate has changed over time, but this blend now tastes sublime. Many thanks again to Rusty for 1st telling me about McClelland Virginias.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Note the unique sheet of clear plastic over the tobacco. Ritzy. I am presently smoking a large bowl fresh out of the tin and it is a little Meh. But Russ Oulette himself told me tinned Virginias need to be decanted to become sublime. So, I'll loosen the compacted tobacco in the tin up and put it in a 1/2 pint Kerr jar so it can get aired out for some days.

Don't see any MClelland like broad ribbon Red in the mixture but maybe they cut it special for Russ because he wanted an easy burn shag cut, which it is.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:47 am

Cracked my first tin last evening. It is stamped 2018 so there wasn't much fermentation going on. The tin reads it's a tobacco for a special occasion, but I say it makes any occasion special. It's that good.

driftedshank
Congregation
Congregation

Post by driftedshank » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Just opened a tin of Gawith Hoggarth Mahogany. I ordered it along with Germain's Rich Dark Flake from across the pond. The Mahogany reviews I've read, have not been great, but I must say I like it. An almost stringy broken flake that rubs out easily and burns slowly, it's mildly flavored with an almond-like Lakeland essence.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Rich, ripe red virginias are combined with top grade Izmir leaf, pressed and aged in cakes, then sliced into flakes and tinned.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:Rich, ripe red virginias are combined with top grade Izmir leaf, pressed and aged in cakes, then sliced into flakes and tinned.

Goooooood stuff!

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Finally opening this little gem from my CPS SS. Tin note is of a VA forward English. First bowl is burning now. Excellent first impression.

Sola Deo Gloria