Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Last Tin Opened

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:Rich, ripe red virginias are combined with top grade Izmir leaf, pressed and aged in cakes, then sliced into flakes and tinned.

Goooooood stuff!
The tin was swollen likely due to fermentation so after 8 days I still haven't smoked any but will soon. Have only had one tin of this before about 18 months ago so it will be kind of new to me.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rev156
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Rev156 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 am

First time with Orlik's golden slice......very nice in spite of mid pipe temperature drop.....

Rev156
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Rev156 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:54 am

breaking NOS Brigham Calabriar with a new tin of FMOTT......nicw way to start the day off.

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:50 pm

Presbyterian Mixture. I've only had 2 bowls of it so the jury is still out.
"You can call me, Al" - Me

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Me too, another tin of PM.
Love the stuff.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:02 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:24 pm
Me too, another tin of PM.
Love the stuff.
I'm gonna have to soon crack a 30 year old tin a CPS saint sent me.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:14 pm

[/quote]

Would you share a picture of that tin? I'm curious to see how it looks.
"You can call me, Al" - Me

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:29 pm

This is a tin of McClelland Pebblecut I just cracked. I have smoked Pebblecut before and knew it had uneven flakes but was surprised by the enormous flake I found in this tin. A flake of Gawith Hoggarth proportions! Such wonderful looking tobacco. And darn tasty, too. I sure do wish I had learned of this tobacco sooner. It wasn't until just before McClelland suddenly closed that I had begun to buy a few tins. Only have 4.

Selected red mottled leaf from Carolina, rich in flavor and oils, small Oriental leaves from Macedonia of piquant aroma, bright nut-flavored broad leaf from Virginia, and pure Louisiana Perique.
Last edited by Goose55 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:38 pm

arank87 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:14 pm
Would you share a picture of that tin? I'm curious to see how it looks.
[/quote]

Sorry it's so long since your question. Here it is. Notice instead of a stick on paper label, this 30 year old tin of Presbyterian is painted! And it's in absolutely pristine condition. As though it was just manufactured....

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:48 pm

I perused my McClelland cellar to see which blend I have not partaken of in awhile. I chose a 2017 tin of McClelland - Aurora (Collector Series). As usual, I cracked the tin and let it air out for about 1/2 hour, and will continue to decant it for a few minutes over the next week before smoking it. I have some from 2016 I will let continue to sleep.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:11 pm

A tin of 2017 Tudor Castle cracked open today, to begin smoking from it in 4 or 5 days.

Took the label off the tin as I save the McCl labels now. I took a moment to gaze at this narrow strip of paper with McClelland's printing. A real, deep sadness came over me. Hard to put that into words though. Just a grief over loss.

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:11 pm
A tin of 2017 Tudor Castle cracked open today, to begin smoking from it in 4 or 5 days.

Took the label off the tin as I save the McCl labels now. I took a moment to gaze at this narrow strip of paper with McClelland's printing. A real, deep sadness came over me. Hard to put that into words though. Just a grief over loss.

I can fix your sorrows. Send over the rest of your McClelland. Friends help friends rip band-aids off quick. :lol:
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 am
Goose55 wrote:

I can fix your sorrows. Send over the rest of your McClelland. Friends help friends rip band-aids off quick. :lol:
I have labels I can send you but not the tobaccos. :)

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:51 am

Not a tin, but a 1/2 pint Kerr jar of bulk Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Brown Flake, unscented.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Last Tin Opened

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:02 am

Goose55 wrote:
Jester wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 am
Goose55 wrote:

I can fix your sorrows. Send over the rest of your McClelland. Friends help friends rip band-aids off quick. Image
I have labels I can send you but not the tobaccos. :)
Dust and moth will destroy all “good” things we have found on this earth, enjoy them for their time, but look to greater joy my friend, life is too short to mourn over tobacco. You won’t be smoking a pipe in heaven, you won’t need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 pm

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:47 am
Cracked my first tin last evening. It is stamped 2018 so there wasn't much fermentation going on. The tin reads it's a tobacco for a special occasion, but I say it makes any occasion special. It's that good.

Another tin of 40th cracked. Just pure bliss. No other way to describe it. But this won't go on forever. Eventually, all tins of 40th will be gone

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Last Tin Opened

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:59 am

Didn’t open it myself, but a friend decided he didn’t care for the strength of GLP Telegraph Hill so I took it off his hands.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am

Not a tin, but I just cracked open a new tub of PA yesterday.
Sola Deo Gloria

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Cracked open the new C&D Blue Ridge today, I like it!