Let us talk of Balkan Sobranie 759

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Let us talk of Balkan Sobranie 759

Post by A_Morley » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:42 pm

I will admit that I never smoked it and chances are that I never will. I know a good deal about this mixture and am told that it was the true favorite of every true pipe man . Has anybody here ever smoked of Balkan Sobranie 759? Does it indeed live up to its reputation?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Munkey
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Post by Munkey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:49 pm

Two years ago in Chicago I was given a bowlful. Unfortunately I had already done a couple days worth of tobacco sampling, some of which scorched my mouth. I could tell I was smoking a latakia blend, but the finer nuances were lost on my abused palate. :cry1:

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:19 pm

It was my favorite tobacco back in the '70s till I couldn't get it anymore. I also liked the Balkan Sobranie regular mixture in the black and white tin. Current favs are GLP's Abingdon, Dan Tobac's London Blend 1000, S. Gawith Squadron Leader, you get the idea.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Jeff
Minister of Lengthy Posts
Minister of Lengthy Posts

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:04 pm

A generous owner of a local pipe shop gave me a healthy sample of both the 759 and standard white when I asked if I could buy him out. He had a pair of old, old 8 oz. tins that were each approximately half-full of well-dried Sobranie. I was happy to have these free samples, rehydrated with a little water and the desert heat, and smoked them both. I'd had white before and enjoyed it a great deal, but the 759 had lost a lot of its flavor by the time it reached me. So, my experience with the real deal was not so good--no doubt, due to its age and condition upon discovery. However, I do know that Smoker's Haven of Columbus, OH had some house blends that used to be made by Sobranie; Our Best Blend was B.S. White, and Exotique was 759. The recipes and processes were identical. Premal, the current owner, has worked with the company that purchased all of Sobranie's old equipment and recipes, and has relaunched these blends. Whether or not Exotique is true to the original, it is, hands down, my absolute favorite tobacco currently produced. The room aroma is excellent, and will likely please your company more than most english blends. More importantly, the tobacco is rich, powerful, and incredibly smooth. I would highly recommend having your name added to the waiting list (and there is a rather sizeable one, if I'm not mistaken) so that you might have a chance to buy when the next big order arrives in a few months.

I hope you give it a whirl, as I am quite sure you will be pleased.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:28 pm

No tobacco lives up to its legacy once it is discontinued. Everyone remembers with advantage.

That being said, I had one bowl of Dunhill's Baby Bottom at a trade show. I still cannot find it so, of course, it is the greatest blend ever. If I ever again smoke a bowl, I know that I will be disappointed.

-UB

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Re: Let us talk of Balkan Sobranie 759

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:18 pm

I tried the P&C Match 759 today.

Didn't make it through 1/3 of the bowl and then I angrily threw the remainder into the trash bin.

I should have known.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:07 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Didn't make it through 1/3 of the bowl and then I angrily threw the remainder into the trash bin.

I should have known.
You can't ever go home, they say.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:39 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:07 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:18 pm

I should have known.
You can't ever go home, they say.
I was so looking forward to it. The pouch nose was pretty good too. As soon as my mouth recovers :barf2:, I'm popping a fresh english tin. In fact, I'm headed to the cellar right now. I can still sniff a freshly opened tin. I'll need to dry some out.

I have a pitchfork. Can I get at least one torch bearer to storm the cellar with me?

There's GH Balkan Mixture in there somewhere .........
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50