Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22192
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 07, 2015 10:01 pm

Key Largo is stinky but tasty, unlike Mixture No. 79 that is malodorous and contemptible in both smell and taste.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18439
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by hugodrax » Thu May 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Thunktank wrote:Key Largo is stinky but tasty, unlike Mixture No. 79 that is malodorous and contemptible in both smell and taste.
Couldn't agree more with the first part of the statement: Key Largo reeks to such an extent that I expose the pipe to fresh air overnight to mitigate the awfulness. Mixture 79, on the other hand, gets the attention of the women folk in a most delightful way for a balding 36 year old dink such as myself. I do not and cannot understand the virulent hatred that blend inspires.

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 22978
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by JimVH » Thu May 07, 2015 10:25 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:Key Largo is stinky but tasty, unlike Mixture No. 79 that is malodorous and contemptible in both smell and taste.
Couldn't agree more with the first part of the statement: Key Largo reeks to such an extent that I expose the pipe to fresh air overnight to mitigate the awfulness. Mixture 79, on the other hand, gets the attention of the women folk in a most delightful way for a balding 36 year old dink such as myself. I do not and cannot understand the virulent hatred that blend inspires.

A voice of reason.

User avatar
gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Posts: 7865
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by gravel » Fri May 08, 2015 1:45 am

JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:Key Largo is stinky but tasty, unlike Mixture No. 79 that is malodorous and contemptible in both smell and taste.
Couldn't agree more with the first part of the statement: Key Largo reeks to such an extent that I expose the pipe to fresh air overnight to mitigate the awfulness. Mixture 79, on the other hand, gets the attention of the women folk in a most delightful way for a balding 36 year old dink such as myself. I do not and cannot understand the virulent hatred that blend inspires.

A voice of reason.
This might be the first time I agree with Hugo.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10290
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 08, 2015 5:53 am

gravel wrote:
JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:Key Largo is stinky but tasty, unlike Mixture No. 79 that is malodorous and contemptible in both smell and taste.
Couldn't agree more with the first part of the statement: Key Largo reeks to such an extent that I expose the pipe to fresh air overnight to mitigate the awfulness. Mixture 79, on the other hand, gets the attention of the women folk in a most delightful way for a balding 36 year old dink such as myself. I do not and cannot understand the virulent hatred that blend inspires.

A voice of reason.
This might be the first time I agree with Hugo.
+1 There's a time and place for any tobacco.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Unkinjoe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 am
Location: North MS

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by Unkinjoe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:13 am

Bibster wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:08 pm
C&D Mississippi Mud matches that description for me. The tin note is pungent and a bit sour, but what a great smoke.
I must agree, I received my first tin of non otc tobacco which was MS mud. When I opened the tin my first thought was WHOA I wasted 13 bucks on some of the foulest smelling tobacco made. I smoked a bowl yesterday morning with a cup of coffee and WOW what a flavor, the coffee really made it come out.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10290
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:27 am

Dark Star smells more and more like rancid ketsup, but is a fantastic smoke.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28435
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:40 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:27 am
Dark Star smells more and more like rancid ketsup, but is a fantastic smoke.
I care. And now I want some.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 8644
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:49 am

GH Coniston Cut Plug is a very strong tobacco, and maybe stinky. I derive some enjoyment from smoking it, but I don't smoke it often.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8579
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am

My neighbor thinks C&D Big N Burley is a stinker...I know it is a powerhouse blend for "N", and can be harsh if smoked to fast, but I do love a big ol bowl
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 8140
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Lexington, NC, near the Walmart
Contact:

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by Steverino » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 am

It's kind of hard to say. They all stink to my wife. I guess I would pick my mainstay, Burley Flake No. 2. Now what really stinks to me (but I don't necessarily love smoking it) is perique. Most perique blends I have smoked seem to leave behind an ammonia note.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8579
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Any blends you find stinky but love to smoke?

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Steverino wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 am
It's kind of hard to say. They all stink to my wife. I guess I would pick my mainstay, Burley Flake No. 2. Now what really stinks to me (but I don't necessarily love smoking it) is perique. Most perique blends I have smoked seem to leave behind an ammonia note.
My wife would agree with your wife...if it were up to my wife the pipes and tobacco would be trashed tomorrow...so I smoke outside in the late evening
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Post Reply