The Effects of Humidity on Lighting.

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
PineyWoodPiper
Congregation
Congregation

The Effects of Humidity on Lighting.

Post by PineyWoodPiper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:24 pm

I am currently visiting my family in South East Texas, and needless to say the humidity here is nearly unbearable.

Earlier this evening I was sitting outside smoking a favorite house blend from my local B&M in Little Rock, in my Savinelli and I noticed that the pipe was smoking different than usual. The tobacco seemed to have trouble staying lit, could this have been due to the humidity or am I just imagining this and perhaps didn't pack well enough this time around?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: The Effects of Humidity on Lighting.

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:02 am

PineyWoodPiper wrote:I am currently visiting my family in South East Texas, and needless to say the humidity here is nearly unbearable.

Earlier this evening I was sitting outside smoking a favorite house blend from my local B&M in Little Rock, in my Savinelli and I noticed that the pipe was smoking different than usual. The tobacco seemed to have trouble staying lit, could this have been due to the humidity or am I just imagining this and perhaps didn't pack well enough this time around?
Nothing crazy here. Humidity definitely impacts the burning of tobaccos. We've all been there.

PineyWoodPiper
Congregation
Congregation

Post by PineyWoodPiper » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:36 am

hugodrax wrote:
PineyWoodPiper wrote:I am currently visiting my family in South East Texas, and needless to say the humidity here is nearly unbearable.

Nothing crazy here. Humidity definitely impacts the burning of tobaccos. We've all been there.
Okay great. I move away for a few months and forget what it is like in 120% humidity.

Haroldt
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Haroldt » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:36 pm

To remove the smell of "stinky pipe" from the house, I've moved my pipes on to the back porch. Living in Florida, the summers are hot and humid. To make it easy, I brought some of my tobacco out there as well. Interestingly, I found the added humidity to the baccy actually improved my smoke.
Mr T

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:25 am

Off Topic
Lacking sufficient coffee I read the thread as, "The Effects of Humanity on Lighting."

Carry on.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:14 am

I thought this was going to be about problems with high-efficiency LED bulbs in humid tropical environments.

I'm glad that it's a smoking thread.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:07 am

I thought I read the title as "The effects of humidity on Lightning". It's fairly disappointing compared to that.

You should start a thread on the effects of changing locale on pipe smoking. Things not only light different but actually taste different in different places. With enough coverage we could make a map of the world with pipe smoking as a metric.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Rusty wrote:I thought I read the title as "The effects of humidity on Lightning". It's fairly disappointing compared to that.
Same here.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:19 pm

Rusty wrote:I thought I read the title as "The effects of humidity on Lightning". It's fairly disappointing compared to that.

You should start a thread on the effects of changing locale on pipe smoking. Things not only light different but actually taste different in different places. With enough coverage we could make a map of the world with pipe smoking as a metric.
My no. 1 spot for enjoying a pipe was in the hills of central New Mexico. The Jack Daniels wasn't too bad there either. This was in the summer, btw. Your map would have to be seasonal, of course.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

saltedplug
Usher
Usher

Post by saltedplug » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:37 am

Del wrote:I thought this was going to be about problems with high-efficiency LED bulbs in humid tropical environments.
:):)

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:02 pm

My issue where I live, in S. Arizona, is low humidity (except for monsoon season; July - Sept)

I am just getting back to smoking pipes, and in a learned way. I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge about the subject out there. And I love the new terminology I am learning: "Room note." "Cake." Dottle."

I love Captain Black white package, and got a couple 12 ounce tubs

I see 4Noggins sells bulk in this, to 5 pounds. $160. Skeptical me. I wonder if they are selling a copy cat Captain Black in this volume.

Anyway, I've read mason jars are the best way to store baccy.

And I guess the moist Captain Black will do OK sealed up like that?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Goose55 wrote:My issue where I live, in S. Arizona, is low humidity (except for monsoon season; July - Sept)

I am just getting back to smoking pipes, and in a learned way. I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge about the subject out there. And I love the new terminology I am learning: "Room note." "Cake." Dottle."

I love Captain Black white package, and got a couple 12 ounce tubs

I see 4Noggins sells bulk in this, to 5 pounds. $160. Skeptical me. I wonder if they are selling a copy cat Captain Black in this volume.

Anyway, I've read mason jars are the best way to store baccy.

And I guess the moist Captain Black will do OK sealed up like that?
Don't be skeptical. Try the Lane bulk. Great to see you dive in.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.