Tacos
18%

Total votes: 17

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Re: Burley lovers

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:48 pm

I opened a tin of Wessex Burley Slice yesterday that I've had in my possession for 18 months. One of my all time favorites is Edgeworth Sliced and I was hoping this blend was close in flavor. I folded and stuffed a flake into a Pete African meer pipe. Two applications of flame and it was going nicely. For the next 45 minutes I enjoyed a deep, nutty bowl of burley bliss. I would be quite content if this were the only tobacco I was able to smoke. I plan on stocking up on this. I have a tin of Solani Aged Burley in the mail and can't wait to compare this to the Wessex.
Last edited by GaryInVA on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:38 pm

GaryInVA wrote:I opened a tin of Wessex Burley Slice yesterday that I've had in my possession for 18 months. One of my all time favorites is Edgeworth Sliced and I was hoping this blend was close in flavor. I folded and stuffed a flake into a Pete African meet pipe. Two applications of flame and it was going nicely. For the next 45 minutes I enjoyed a deep, nutty bowl of burley bliss. I would be quite content if this were the only tobacco I was able to smoke. I plan on stocking up on this. I have a tin of Solani Aged Burley in the mail and can't wait to compare this to the Wessex.
Yesterday, I received my first tin of this blend. It's on deck to be popped.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:51 pm

Del wrote:
A_Morley wrote:I, for one am happy for this thread in that it has helped me to discover some burley blends if which I was previously unaware. It is still a mixed and an incomplete kind of joy in that that statement from this supposed "Father" Rick still enrages me greatly.
During the Late Middle Ages and throughout the English Renaissance/Reformation, all of the noble gentlemen wore hats for their portraits.

We can assume that they wore their hats indoors as well.

Perhaps we should restore the noble custom of wearing well-chosen hats indoors, as we enjoy our leisure and tobacco.

Where is my fez?
Again, shut up, Del.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:07 am

A_Morley wrote:
Del wrote:
A_Morley wrote:I, for one am happy for this thread in that it has helped me to discover some burley blends if which I was previously unaware. It is still a mixed and an incomplete kind of joy in that that statement from this supposed "Father" Rick still enrages me greatly.
During the Late Middle Ages and throughout the English Renaissance/Reformation, all of the noble gentlemen wore hats for their portraits.

Perhaps we should restore the noble custom of wearing well-chosen hats indoors, as we enjoy our leisure and tobacco.

Where is my fez?
Again, shut up, Del.
I prefer to wear a 'boggan while smoking.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:39 am

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:45 am

MrPiper wrote:Here is an interesting thread diversion... When smoking outdoors, I rarely smoke without a wearing a western hat. Straw Stetson in summer, Leather or Felt in winter... Hmmmmm...
Just can't dial down that "cool" factor, can you?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:03 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:54 pm

C&D Pegasus was given to me when I mentioned I wanted to start into burley...it was a good starting place for me...but then I am still starting...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:44 pm

Wessex Burley Slice is not available @ P&C at this time.
I am not amused.
DL Jake

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:12 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Wessex Burley Slice is not available @ P&C at this time.
I am not amused.
Yes, we understand...but the important question is when you get it, will you smoke it while wearing a hat indoors?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:46 pm

MrPiper wrote:
Fainn wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Del wrote:

Where is my fez?
Again, shut up, Del.
I prefer to wear a 'boggan while smoking.
Here is an interesting thread diversion... When smoking outdoors, I rarely smoke without a wearing a western hat. Straw Stetson in summer, Leather or Felt in winter... Hmmmmm...
Y'all are friggin' strange. Please don't talk about hats anymore.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:26 pm

I just opened a 6 year old tin of C&D Burley Flake #2. Covered in sugar crystals. Was a really nice smoke.
hugodrax wrote:

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:41 pm

GaryInVA wrote:I just opened a 6 year old tin of C&D Burley Flake #2. Covered in sugar crystals. Was a really nice smoke.
good on ya, mate
DL Jake

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:43 pm

I googled Burley lovers hat and this came up.
DL Jake

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:52 pm

I would like to again mention C&D Big and Burley and Cube Cut Burley. I have smoked 3 or 4 tins of B&B and I like it very much even though it has a little latakia in it. I think many of you latakia guys might enjoy it. I smoked a couple of ounces of the Cube Cut recently and was pleasantly surprised at its smoothness. I really think this one would make a good all-day blend if you're into such things.

To my taste, there is a significant difference between the burlies C&D uses and the ones used in some of the other blends such as Solani and Wessex. In the latter, I taste something like lumber. It might be fir or cedar, definitely not pine. The C&D burlies do not exhibit this characteristic and I like them better.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 pm

Rusty wrote:A lot of good ones have been mentioned ... but there is still more.

There is a progression or maturing that applies to smokers. First they smoke aromatic anything then they discover Latakia mixtures and become progressively more antisocial for a decade or so, Then they discover Virginias of all sorts and their tongues get so fat that they no longer converse, so there is plenty of time to think. Finally they discover Burleys and Burley mixtures and it repairs and loosens their tongue and great wisdom comes forth.

Rusty, your wisdom and experience shines through. This is EXACTLY the progression I have experienced and I have finally progressed into the realm of the Burley world.
Up til recently I have always equated Burley with that nasty stinking cigarette habit that makes clothing, home, auto and myself smell like an ashtray, so have avoided anything Burley like the plague.
An acquaintance suggested I try a good OTC Burley just to get my feet wet and suggested Carter Hall. Long story short....I did and was in love. After a while I discovered that I prefer Burley/Virginia blends over just straight Burley's.
Do you have any Burley/Virginia favorites that you could suggest?

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:22 pm

Steverino wrote:There is straight burley tobacco (essentially) and there are burley blends. If you are interested in trying straight burley, C&D has several bulks to offer. I smoke both their White Burley and Dark Burley regularly and enjoy it. They're probably thought of more as blending tobaccos but they're good alone too. There are some other choices as well, such as the Cube Cut Burley. Now if you want a good burley blend, try C&D Big and Burley. I'm into my third tin of this and like it just as much as when I started. 7formy mentioned Pegasus, that one is also very good in my opinion. And don't overlook good old Prince Albert. I believe it's mostly burley and it's a good, solid smoke, nothing fancy.
Is Prince Albert a straight Burley?

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:34 pm

harkpuff wrote:
Steverino wrote:There is straight burley tobacco (essentially) and there are burley blends. If you are interested in trying straight burley, C&D has several bulks to offer. I smoke both their White Burley and Dark Burley regularly and enjoy it. They're probably thought of more as blending tobaccos but they're good alone too. There are some other choices as well, such as the Cube Cut Burley. Now if you want a good burley blend, try C&D Big and Burley. I'm into my third tin of this and like it just as much as when I started. 7formy mentioned Pegasus, that one is also very good in my opinion. And don't overlook good old Prince Albert. I believe it's mostly burley and it's a good, solid smoke, nothing fancy.
Is Prince Albert a straight Burley?
It's 2016. We don't ask questions like that, anymore.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:37 pm

I sat on the side porch Sunday smoking some C&D Burley Flake #2 in a Pete meer. I was watching the bees and hummingbirds feed on the flowering bush we have on the corner of the house. As I sat there puffing away a hummingbird came towards me and hovered in front of my face maybe 6 inches away. I continued to puff away and it hovered there as if it was taking in the smoke. I thought it was going to land on the bill of the hat I was wearing. Another one came over and they both flew off.

So, it seems that hummingbirds like burley pipe tobacco.
hugodrax wrote:

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:16 pm

[
I've come to find that I like burleys with a little something extra. Typically perique and Virginias but I don't mind a smidgen of Latakia or unsweetened cavendish. I'm telling you Old Joe Krantz and Pegasus from C&D are the places to start :wink:[/quote]

I think this is why I'm not a straight Burley lover. Boring and a little on the harsh side. The smidge of Virginia that is in Carter Hall pops through occasionally giving it an interesting nice aroma and sweet note.