Total votes: 17

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Re: Burley lovers

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:25 am

My favorite burley blends are the C&D burley flakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:00 am

UncleBob wrote:
harkpuff wrote:
Steverino wrote:There is straight burley tobacco (essentially) and there are burley blends. If you are interested in trying straight burley, C&D has several bulks to offer. I smoke both their White Burley and Dark Burley regularly and enjoy it. They're probably thought of more as blending tobaccos but they're good alone too. There are some other choices as well, such as the Cube Cut Burley. Now if you want a good burley blend, try C&D Big and Burley. I'm into my third tin of this and like it just as much as when I started. 7formy mentioned Pegasus, that one is also very good in my opinion. And don't overlook good old Prince Albert. I believe it's mostly burley and it's a good, solid smoke, nothing fancy.
Is Prince Albert a straight Burley?
It's 2016. We don't ask questions like that, anymore.

:chili:
Shut up, Bob.

It's all white burley, yes. It has a slight top dressing, some say chocolate.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:30 am

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Wilke Nut Brown Burley or several from Uhle's
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm new to Pegasus. It's all I've smoked for nearly a week now.

Darned fine stuff, that Pegasus.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:17 pm

WSerad wrote:Wilke Nut Brown Burley or several from Uhle's
The first post from William Serad in over eight months. Why am I the only one who is excited.

We talked about this man at the pipe club today, for Pete's sake.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:47 am

A_Morley wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
harkpuff wrote:
Steverino wrote:There is straight burley tobacco (essentially) and there are burley blends. If you are interested in trying straight burley, C&D has several bulks to offer. I smoke both their White Burley and Dark Burley regularly and enjoy it. They're probably thought of more as blending tobaccos but they're good alone too. There are some other choices as well, such as the Cube Cut Burley. Now if you want a good burley blend, try C&D Big and Burley. I'm into my third tin of this and like it just as much as when I started. 7formy mentioned Pegasus, that one is also very good in my opinion. And don't overlook good old Prince Albert. I believe it's mostly burley and it's a good, solid smoke, nothing fancy.
Is Prince Albert a straight Burley?
It's 2016. We don't ask questions like that, anymore.

:chili:
Shut up, Bob.

It's all white burley, yes. It has a slight top dressing, some say chocolate.
I'm toying with the idea it may be molasses as the first few puffs always seem bittersweet before mellowing out.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:46 am

JimVH wrote:I'm new to Pegasus. It's all I've smoked for nearly a week now.

It certainly is! One of my favorites.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:59 am

A_Morley wrote:
The first post from William Serad in over eight months. Why am I the only one who is excited.

That's why my ears were burning. I hope it was a in a favorable light.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:20 pm

WSerad wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Some guy was there who said that he had collaborated with Ted Gage on some edition or other of Trial by Fire. I said that it was better when you wrote it. Others agreed.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:31 pm

A_Morley wrote:
WSerad wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Some guy was there who said that he had collaborated with Ted Gage on some edition or other of Trial by Fire. I said that it was better when you wrote it. Others agreed.
Thanks! There are stories which will remain untold there.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:47 pm

A_Morley wrote:The first post from William Serad in over eight months. Why am I the only one who is excited.
Perhaps the rest of us know who Mr. Serad is and realized we have forever blown a good impression with our juvenile humor? And my horrible spelling? They stopped carrying Pipes and Tobacco at my old B & M. I have every issue for ten years, but now I'm three behind.

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:26 pm

Fainn wrote:
A_Morley wrote:The first post from William Serad in over eight months. Why am I the only one who is excited.
Perhaps the rest of us know who Mr. Serad is and realized we have forever blown a good impression with our juvenile humor? And my horrible spelling? They stopped carrying Pipes and Tobacco at my old B & M. I have every issue for ten years, but now I'm three behind.
Please subscribe! I have been here before. I was in an unpleasant theological discussion and I mentioned it was ungracious. I was told that if the heat was too much to get out of the kitchen so I did. But here I am, peeking over to of the trench to see if the shooting has died down.

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Fainn wrote:
PS. They sell back issues.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:41 pm

WSerad wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Please subscribe! I have been here before. I was in an unpleasant theological discussion and I mentioned it was ungracious. I was told that if the heat was too much to get out of the kitchen so I did. But here I am, peeking over to of the trench to see if the shooting has died down.
My apologies as I've only been here a few months and was meant only as a joke. There are several back issues I want, but I may have to wait on the subscription because we hope to move soon.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:06 pm

A_Morley wrote:

So happy to see WSerad mention Uhle's in Milwaukee! Although prices are much better if you can avoid the Wisconsin/Illinois state taxes.

Blend 255 is a cube cut burley that is my favorite for big bowl smokes on long road trips.

http://uhles.com/Uhle_blends_out_of_state.htm
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:20 pm

WSerad wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Thank you for popping in! The last burley guru I corresponded with was Bob Runowski but he has sadly passed on. I had one request for him and it was to make his interpretation of Half & Half using C&D tobacco. He said that he was working on just that very blend but after several PMs went unanswered I saw the obituary. Would you be willing to take on such a project?
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:33 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
JimVH wrote:I'm new to Pegasus. It's all I've smoked for nearly a week now.

It certainly is! One of my favorites.
This makes my heart smile.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:49 pm

Del wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

So happy to see WSerad mention Uhle's in Milwaukee! Although prices are much better if you can avoid the Wisconsin/Illinois state taxes.

Blend 255 is a cube cut burley that is my favorite for big bowl smokes on long road trips.

http://uhles.com/Uhle_blends_out_of_state.htm
Love 255. I have a long-running addiction to 300. Perfection was a fav of Bob Runowski and 00 is hard to beat for the purist.

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:01 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
WSerad wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Thank you for popping in! The last burley guru I corresponded with was Bob Runowski but he has sadly passed on. I had one request for him and it was to make his interpretation of Half & Half using C&D tobacco. He said that he was working on just that very blend but after several PMs went unanswered I saw the obituary. Would you be willing to take on such a project?
Bob was a friend of mine. He lived around the corner from my mother and was a fellow member of the Christopher Morley Club in Philly. We were both friends with Craig Tarler. H&H as a blend isnt hard but the casing is a mystery. Bob's version of Revelation missed the mark to me not because of the blend, but the topping was off. In the old days, manufacturers made their own casing agents, toppings and sauces. There are only about 8 flavoring companies in the entire world now, so these unique flavorings are being lost forever. Some are no longer legal as food products. So whatever it is in H&H that gives that unique aroma is beyond me. The current production from STG is the best it has been in 40 years so I would stick with that, frankly. There are loads of copies that completely miss the mark because of the toppings, not the leaf. Lots of House of Windsor copies, for instance.