Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Re: Burley lovers

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:13 pm

WSerad wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
WSerad wrote:
Fainn wrote:
A_Morley wrote:The first post from William Serad in over eight months. Why am I the only one who is excited.
Perhaps the rest of us know who Mr. Serad is and realized we have forever blown a good impression with our juvenile humor? And my horrible spelling? They stopped carrying Pipes and Tobacco at my old B & M. I have every issue for ten years, but now I'm three behind.
Please subscribe! I have been here before. I was in an unpleasant theological discussion and I mentioned it was ungracious. I was told that if the heat was too much to get out of the kitchen so I did. But here I am, peeking over to of the trench to see if the shooting has died down.
Thank you for popping in! The last burley guru I corresponded with was Bob Runowski but he has sadly passed on. I had one request for him and it was to make his interpretation of Half & Half using C&D tobacco. He said that he was working on just that very blend but after several PMs went unanswered I saw the obituary. Would you be willing to take on such a project?
Bob was a friend of mine. He lived around the corner from my mother and was a fellow member of the Christopher Morley Club in Philly. We were both friends with Craig Tarler. H&H as a blend isnt hard but the casing is a mystery. Bob's version of Revelation missed the mark to me not because of the blend, but the topping was off. In the old days, manufacturers made their own casing agents, toppings and sauces. There are only about 8 flavoring companies in the entire world now, so these unique flavorings are being lost forever. Some are no longer legal as food products. So whatever it is in H&H that gives that unique aroma is beyond me. The current production from STG is the best it has been in 40 years so I would stick with that, frankly. There are loads of copies that completely miss the mark because of the toppings, not the leaf. Lots of House of Windsor copies, for instance.
Thank you for the education! I have given little thought to the topping but that certainly makes sense. My dad used to smoke Revelation and if I ever smelled that topping again I would know if it's right or not. Sadly Epiphany from C&D missed the mark on the topping as you mentioned but it's still a lovely blend that I enjoy.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:34 am

WSerad wrote:
Fainn wrote:
A_Morley wrote:The first post from William Serad in over eight months. Why am I the only one who is excited.
Perhaps the rest of us know who Mr. Serad is and realized we have forever blown a good impression with our juvenile humor? And my horrible spelling? They stopped carrying Pipes and Tobacco at my old B & M. I have every issue for ten years, but now I'm three behind.
Please subscribe! I have been here before. I was in an unpleasant theological discussion and I mentioned it was ungracious. I was told that if the heat was too much to get out of the kitchen so I did. But here I am, peeking over to of the trench to see if the shooting has died down.
Nice to see you on here Mr. Serad! I tend to just stay out of the Theology thread; I'd just get in trouble.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:36 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:
WSerad wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Nice to see you on here Mr. Serad! I tend to just stay out of the Theology thread; I'd just get in trouble.
Forsooth. The theology threads and the purgatory section are where the most damnable of the damnable rubes who comprise this stupid forum hang out.

Many of the most active participants barely smoke a pipe at all and simply hang out because they have an ax to grind--(cough)Del(cough)--

If any of you rubes cause William Serad to leave again I will find you and there will be more than a reckoning.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:16 am

A_Morley wrote:
dennisthemenace wrote:
WSerad wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Forsooth. The theology threads and the purgatory section are where the most damnable of the damnable rubes who comprise this stupid forum hang out.

Many of the most active participants barely smoke a pipe at all and simply hang out because they have an ax to grind--(cough)Del(cough)--

If any of you rubes cause William Serad to leave again I will find you and there will be more than a reckoning.
If it's anything like the chance to try Mr. Brooks' tobaccos promise, that reckoning will not be painful at all.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

alpol05
Congregation
Congregation

Post by alpol05 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:39 pm
A lot of good ones have been mentioned ... but there is still more.

Try:
Lane Ready Rubbed which is supposed to be Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. The old blue-pouch ERR was great stuff. Cased with chocolate.
The Wessex Burley Slice is very close to the old original Larus Bros. Edgeworth Sliced. The original was molasses cased pressed Burley. The Euro's added more Virginia and a sweetened topping to the late version of Edgeworth Sliced. it's good but it's not quite like the old original one.
Solani's Aged Burley Flake is also very nice if a little pricey.

There is a progression or maturing that applies to smokers. First they smoke aromatic anything then they discover Latakia mixtures and become progressively more antisocial for a decade or so, Then they discover Virginias of all sorts and their tongues get so fat that they no longer converse, so there is plenty of time to think. Finally they discover Burleys and Burley mixtures and it repairs and loosens their tongue and great wisdom comes forth.
Indeed, the last paragraph is a treasure!
Wiktor

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:42 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:55 pm
As I finished typing a deed while smoking Marlin Flake this afternoon, I realized that I am in a phase where I cannot figure why all CPSers are not either smoking sweet dark Virginia flakes or wishing they were. But then, as usual, I overthought the idea.

I like steak, but I like chicken, fish, liver, pork, pasta and even pho.

So you Burley smokers, give me your top Burley tobacco recommendations.
I want the if you don't like ____, then you probably do not like Burley choices.
Please limit choices to stuff that is widely available. I might give it a go next purchase.
I should update, that I have since warmed to some Burleys. PA is a regular smoke and I like the Ready Rubbed I tried. I also smoke several flakes with Burley blended in. Burley is in my current rotation about like Latakia now, which is not everyday, though. I wish I could delete the poll now.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal