Orlik Golden Sliced

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Orlik Golden Sliced

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:38 am

I thought I'd interrupt your regularly scheduled evolution, abortion, food and/or drink recently consumed, and mindless provision of links without explanation threads to discuss pipes and tobaccos. Rusty has Christianity covered in his Encouragement thread.

So I bought a tin of this Golden Sliced shiz the other day (see recently purchased tobaccos thread for source, Bob). It was one of my go to tobaccos a fee years ago and I'd neglected it's purchase. Popped the tin and immediately noticed the topping. Sort of a honey-anise kind of deal. And heavy.

Not knocking it. It's still delicious. I love flavored flakes. But I do find it interesting that for years upon years I would have said this was very lightly flavored, almost undetectably so. Either I was wrong, they upped the flavor, or my nose is detecting things it didn't when I was still smoking the coffin nails.

I love it. I'd like to think I'm a shrewd judge. I mean, the tin is telling me I am, and who am I to argue, right? But I wonder. Can anyone tell me if the topping has gotten a little stronger on this one?
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies

Re: Orlik Golden Sliced

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:12 am

Now that you are sans facial hair, there's no filter under your nose. Or no filter that may have other flavoring notes, like leftover Pho or something like that.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:31 pm

ugh. I've had this saved in my Smoking Pipes shopping cart for a week. Not helping me stay away ...
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Orlik Golden Slice is a good tobacco I enjoy, and the price is fair, compared to Dunhill Flake.

As for Virginias, I just ordered a pound of McClelland 5100 broken red "cake" because a CPS fellow said it was very similar, if not the same as McClelland tinned Aurora, which I absolutely loved. I also have read many reviews on 5100 and it is ranked among the highest. A lot of folk love it. Hoping for a good Virginia experience with 5100.

I have some McClelland 5115 and 2010 in jars, and they are good. And I have tried their 2015, but something about the Perique in that one didn't sit right with me. But I will get some more one day and give it another go.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:43 pm

I always lined Orlik Golden Sliced myself. I haven't had it in years, though. Chances are, I will buy it once again sometime soon.

Thank you, once again, for your continued though seemingly futile efforts to make the yahoos on this stupid forum talk about pipe smoking.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:10 pm

F&T make a much better Virginia IMO
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:26 pm

I haven't had any in a while, though the last I tried had almost no added flavor, as you have said.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Jocose wrote:F&T make a much better Virginia IMO
forgive my ignorance but, "F&T"?
DL Jake

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:39 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Surely you jest...

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/br ... e-tobacco/

They make excellent Virginias.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:51 pm

I likeswhat this reviewer posted on Pipes & Cigars about Dunhill Flake Virginia flake tobacco.

The Benchmark
Dec 26, 2015
I’ve tried a good many straight Virginia tobaccos and have liked most of them. My two favorites are Capstan (Blue) and Dunhill Flake. Of the two, the Dunhill gets my highest rating. Smoking a bowl of Dunhill Flake is one of the classic pipe smoking experiences. The blend of Virginias in it deliver all the aspects of that leaf, but without going overboard. There’s some hay there, some citrus, some sweetness, but no over emphasis on any of these. What you get is a clean, high quality Virginia that smokes cool and satisfyingly. It says clearly, “you are smoking the Benchmark Virginia blend.”
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:21 am

Jocose wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Surely you jest...

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/br ... e-tobacco/

They make excellent Virginias.
Oh those guys. I just popped some blackjack by them. Thanks, jo
DL Jake

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Opened a new tin today.

Recently, I have smoked some OGS, and some of my other favorite Rattray's Marlin Flake, that had aged for several years.
To me, both of these tobaccos are as good, or better, without aging.

OGS is one of the few tobaccos that has consistently provided a satisfying smoke for me straight from the tin, regardless of pipe choice or any user error.
I will try to keep some in my possession henceforth.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:14 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:Opened a new tin today.

Recently, I have smoked some OGS, and some of my other favorite Rattray's Marlin Flake, that had aged for several years.

OGS is one of the few tobaccos that has consistently provided a satisfying smoke for me straight from the tin, regardless of pipe choice or any user error.
Yes, it's good stuff. But interesting that it does not only not improve with age, but worsens.

I just bought many many tins for next summer, as I have heard it is a good warm weather smoke.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Goose55 wrote:

Yes, it's good stuff. But interesting that it does not only not improve with age, but worsens.

I just bought many many tins for next summer, as I have heard it is a good warm weather smoke.
There's good news on the aging front, sir. A year or two won't make much difference either way, in my experience. With Virginias, worsens is a relative term. It depends on your tastes. If you like a mellow, uniform tobacco without high or low notes, you might think aging really helps. If you like the fact that OGS is a bright, fruity tobacco with a little zing, you might miss the zing. I've never had an aged tobacco that I liked originally that grew to be horrid, but I've had a few that just got a little tired.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:31 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

There's good news on the aging front, sir. A year or two won't make much difference either way, in my experience. With Virginias, worsens is a relative term. It depends on your tastes. If you like a mellow, uniform tobacco without high or low notes, you might think aging really helps. If you like the fact that OGS is a bright, fruity tobacco with a little zing, you might miss the zing. I've never had an aged tobacco that I liked originally that grew to be horrid, but I've had a few that just got a little tired.
^He may be an evil chemical weapons meglomaniac, but his analysis here is spot-on.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:18 am

So here's another question for you. Since I've only recently tried OGS and it's my first 'sliced,' I was wondering how much (if any) do you break it up before putting it in your pipe? My first instinct was to break it up to the point of being similar consistency to ribbon cut. I've since done it with much less breaking/tearing and it seems to me that it smokes just as well.

What are the thoughts of the more experienced smokers?

ETA: I'm off to smoke a bowl of OGS while I give you folks time to respond.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:41 am

Sir Moose wrote:So here's another question for you. Since I've only recently tried OGS and it's my first 'sliced,' I was wondering how much (if any) do you break it up before putting it in your pipe? My first instinct was to break it up to the point of being similar consistency to ribbon cut. I've since done it with much less breaking/tearing and it seems to me that it smokes just as well.

What are the thoughts of the more experienced smokers?

ETA: I'm off to smoke a bowl of OGS while I give you folks time to respond.
I almost always rub it out to some extent. Fully for indoor or sedentary smoking, increasingly chunky for windy weather. Occasionally, but rarely, I fold, stuff, and twist for gales or golf.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:49 am

It has been 10 full years and maybe longer since I tried OGS...at the time I would have said there was almost no topping...it was like smoking wet hay....so I never bought it again. If there is topping on it now...I would have to ask does it taste like wet hay with a topping?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:16 pm

Bloodhound wrote:It has been 10 full years and maybe longer since I tried OGS...at the time I would have said there was almost no topping...it was like smoking wet hay....so I never bought it again. If there is topping on it now...I would have to ask does it taste like wet hay with a topping?
I thought bloodhounds could smell?

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:32 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:It has been 10 full years and maybe longer since I tried OGS...at the time I would have said there was almost no topping...it was like smoking wet hay....so I never bought it again. If there is topping on it now...I would have to ask does it taste like wet hay with a topping?
I thought bloodhounds could smell?
Boom.