Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Orlik Golden Sliced

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:35 pm

JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:It has been 10 full years and maybe longer since I tried OGS...at the time I would have said there was almost no topping...it was like smoking wet hay....so I never bought it again. If there is topping on it now...I would have to ask does it taste like wet hay with a topping?
I thought bloodhounds could smell?
Boom.
Wet Hay....that was the smell 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:It has been 10 full years and maybe longer since I tried OGS...at the time I would have said there was almost no topping...it was like smoking wet hay....so I never bought it again. If there is topping on it now...I would have to ask does it taste like wet hay with a topping?
I thought bloodhounds could smell?
Boom.
Wet Hay....that was the smell 8)
Yeah. OGS's tin note does have that. I have nearly 20 tins of it now, since P&Cs end of summer sale on it. Should be set through next summer, and beyond, for a good Virginia to smoke in warm weather
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:17 pm

Sir Moose wrote:So here's another question for you. Since I've only recently tried OGS and it's my first 'sliced,' I was wondering how much (if any) do you break it up before putting it in your pipe? My first instinct was to break it up to the point of being similar consistency to ribbon cut. I've since done it with much less breaking/tearing and it seems to me that it smokes just as well.

What are the thoughts of the more experienced smokers?

ETA: I'm off to smoke a bowl of OGS while I give you folks time to respond.
I am glad someone started this thread, and thanks for reminding us of the "zing" that OGS has, Paul. I had forgotten the zing since my last tin months ago.

Moose, I like to rub my flake out all the way back to ribbon, for I find I get more flavors from the tobacco this way, and it is easier for me to evenly smoke it. Maintains a nice central ember that way, for easy, slow smoking/ sipping.

If the flake is a little too dry for rubbing out, I place them in a 1/2 pint mason jar with a bit of Brandy (small ball of paper towel soaked in it). In a couple days they are all nicely hydrated and with maybe a little brandy flavor.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:47 pm

You can break it up or rub it out as much as you want. Over a number of bowls you may wish to vary the chunkiness just to see what effect that has.

There is another cut that one can make from nice looking flakes. Take a flake or two and lay them out. First cut them length-wise, about a mm thick. If you use a knife they will look like sticks still close together in the shape of the original flake. Now cut the sticks across at 90 degrees to your original cut so that the result is cubes about a mm on a side. This is Virginia cube cut. Just drop them in the pipe bowl and give it a shake. Don't tamp or press or anything else. Light and enjoy.

Instead of cutting all the way to cube you can stay with the stick cut and if you have a dark Virginia flake you can treat that the same way so that you end up with a mixture of light and dark little sticks that can be shortened to the depth of your bowl. Of course it's just fine to have straight OGS sticks too. Then mix them however you want and load them in the bowl vertically (hence the length matches the depth of your bowl). They will be loose in the bowl and that's perfectly ok. Press a little on the top. Now light and enjoy.

And you can also cube cut both and mix in whatever proportions you think might be interesting and again just drop them in the bowl and light.

If you have some cube cut white Burley (you can get this from cutting Burley flake or buy C&D cube cut Burley) then you can make a very nice half and half. You should notice a nutty Burley running through the sweet Virginia. It's very nice. Don't be shy with Burley. Start at about half Burley. Burley delivers a smoke that has more body or mouth feel but low flavour when compared to most Virginia. In small amounts you'd never know it was there, so be generous with the Burley. This is also a good way to tame a Virginia that tends to bite. The Burley changes the nature of the blend. All you've been doing is cutting tobacco to achieve this. You can also dribble Perique into a pile of cube cut & mix if you like that. And/or you can dribble a little Latakia into the cube cut and mix. These are all very nice paths for exploring what else your flakes can do for you.

Ask not, what you must do with your flakes, but what your flakes can do for you. :lol:
You should hear that when read aloud with a Boston accent!

This is all done on a bowl by bowl basis. These are wonderful ways of experimenting without waste. There is no need to commit tobacco to mixtures for jars, say, unless you want to. You may find a mixture that you really like. The first thing you should do is write it down. You get to keep it forever when you do that, especially if you have a little journal for recording these delights - Found by Hound - Tobacco Secrets.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:48 pm

Rusty wrote: Ask not, what you must do with your flakes, but what your flakes can do for you. :lol:
Ha! I was just a very small boy; not quite yet 5, and I remember hearing JFK speaking those words during that very cold snowbound presidential inauguration.

It was the Camelot presidency. Nothing like it ever returned.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote: Ask not, what you must do with your flakes, but what your flakes can do for you. :lol:
Ha! I was just a very small boy; not quite yet 5, and I remember hearing JFK speaking those words during that very cold snowbound presidential inauguration.

It was the Camelot presidency. Nothing like it ever returned.
We choose to smoke flake and the other tobaccos, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because those smokes will serve to organize and measure the best of our tobaccos. Because that challenge is one that we are willing to enjoy and whose enjoyment we are unwilling to postpone and we intend to smoke them.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Bananas! Jack fruit! Fluoridation of our precious bodily fluids! Erm, arrgh, Americans, blasphemous hoodoo that Rust-do so well.

I'd knee him in the balls if he wasn't always right!
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:53 pm

Jocose wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Jocose wrote:F&T make a much better Virginia IMO
forgive my ignorance but, "F&T"?
Surely you jest...

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/br ... e-tobacco/

They make excellent Virginias.
Surely you jest. Fribourg & Treyer make nothing at all. They are long gone. Dead. Caput. Recipes on a page. Memories. Enamel deep truth. McConnell made their tobaccos anyway. And who got all the McConnell assets?

Kohlhase Kopp = Astley's, Ashton, F&T, Robert McConnell, Reiner, Rattray, Solani, Savinelli, Wessex, and probably more

When you see an old iconic brand name, assume they're dead and gone or sold the brand and now make inflatable pool toys. Usually they're dead and gone. Sometimes manufacturing was outsourced. Somebody else is making the tobaccos. And they have changed. There are far fewer exceptions than there are brands so you'll be right most of the time with this assumption. The brands aren't Jesus, ok?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:09 am

Rusty wrote:
Jocose wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Surely you jest...

Surely you jest. Fribourg & Treyer make nothing at all. They are long gone. Dead. Caput. Recipes on a page. Memories. Enamel deep truth. McConnell made their tobaccos anyway. And who got all the McConnell assets?

Kohlhase Kopp = Astley's, Ashton, F&T, Robert McConnell, Reiner, Rattray, Solani, Savinelli, Wessex, and probably more

When you see an old iconic brand name, assume they're dead and gone or sold the brand and now make inflatable pool toys. Usually they're dead and gone. Sometimes manufacturing was outsourced. Somebody else is making the tobaccos. And they have changed. There are far fewer exceptions than there are brands so you'll be right most of the time with this assumption. The brands aren't Jesus, ok?
Yeah, I suppose I shoulda said...

"Go online and look for Fribourg and Treyer tinned Va's, who knows who makes the crap but that's the name on the tin and it's very good"
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:29 am

Jocose wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Jocose wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Surely you jest...

Yeah, I suppose I shoulda said...

"Go online and look for Fribourg and Treyer tinned Va's, who knows who makes the crap but that's the name on the tin and it's very good"
That's a bit lame. You could have said "There are better Virginia's under the F&T brand." The conversation would have gone the same. And Rusty, the tobacco Nazi, would have said "that Jocose, man he has good taste and he's steering clear of making myths about tobacco makers". But no, you gave existence and volition to a dead thing. And in so doing you confuse it all. :egor: Or, and this is another good strategy, you could have followed the verb (making it something from nothing) and just dealt with the makers KK vs. STG or even Rellingen Germany vs. Assens Denmark. Lot of missed opportunities here. :lol:

And BTW you should have transformed a piece of a Jack Kennedy speech in answering. And extra points are awarded if it has a credible Boston accent. 8) How's the math coming? You seem to be a two's kind of guy, right?

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.... guess who?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Recent 100g tin had a surprise inside.

Also, this presentation seems a bit more moist than the usual sliced flakes.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:40 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:31 pm

I don't even know where to start. Perhaps a caption this thread?

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:42 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:40 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:

Looks like the barber cut your mullet off, Alabama.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:55 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:42 pm
JimVH wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Marlin Flake bulk is packaged like this.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm

Looks like a billy-goat beard...perhaps the work of coco

Does it smell like wet goat or wet hay?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:59 pm

I’ve had a couple 100g tins of OGS; they always package them this way. It’s a lot of fun.
Sola Deo Gloria

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:31 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm
Looks like a billy-goat beard...perhaps the work of coco

Does it smell like wet goat or wet hay?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:49 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Cousin Itt!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:20 am

Del wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:49 pm
hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Cousin Itt!
Making out with Thing, to all appearances.

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:17 am

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:59 pm
I’ve had a couple 100g tins of OGS; they always package them this way. It’s a lot of fun.
I had no idea. I've got a couple of those big tins in the cellar, but have never opened one.