Escudo and other coins for that matter...

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Escudo and other coins for that matter...

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 pm

do you rub them or fold them or? I dug into my tin (that is about 3/4 gone) of Escudo last night and I realized that I have loaded my pipe differently every time I have smoked from this tin. That being said, I am not consistent with Flakes either...its all based on the pipe for me...but I wondered is there a way that I should be loading coinage? I know that in the same pipe I get different burn rates and thus different experiences with the flakes...but I haven't noticed this as much with the coins...the rub out is my favored method and is likely where I will settle.

how do you do it?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Escudo and other coins for that matter...

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:50 pm

I always fold them.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Another folder here. I will add some rubbed out to the top to help with lighting.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Fold and smush a bit to get some airflow. Otherwise, fully rubbed out.

If they're little coins, I stack them loosely.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Only coin I smoke at the moment is Luxury Bullseye Flake.
I fold it, but often the Cavendish center separates. When that happens, I rub out the Cavendish and sprinkle it on top.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:06 pm

I started with the folding, but the coins come apart and then they get rubbed...maybe I'll do better with the next tin :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:19 pm

Does anyone remember Mac Baren Latakia Blend? That was a coin cut. I'm glad that I was able to get in on that one before production ceased. It was really more of an aromatic Virginia than anything else, but it was rather tasty, despite its seemingly dishonest amount of Latakia.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:29 pm

A_Morley wrote:Does anyone remember Mac Baren Latakia Blend? That was a coin cut. I'm glad that I was able to get in on that one before production ceased. It was really more of an aromatic Virginia than anything else, but it was rather tasty, despite its seemingly dishonest amount of Latakia.
I remember its sale, but never tried any. I do, however, fondly remember Roll Cake and lament the passing of Burley London Blend. One of the few baccies I've bought in bulk.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:13 am

hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:Does anyone remember Mac Baren Latakia Blend? That was a coin cut. I'm glad that I was able to get in on that one before production ceased. It was really more of an aromatic Virginia than anything else, but it was rather tasty, despite its seemingly dishonest amount of Latakia.
I remember its sale, but never tried any. I do, however, fondly remember Roll Cake and lament the passing of Burley London Blend. One of the few baccies I've bought in bulk.
Wait, wait, wait. Burley London Blend is gone?

I bought that in bulk as recently as last year.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:40 am

A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Wait, wait, wait. Burley London Blend is gone?

I bought that in bulk as recently as last year.
I didn't realize it was gone, either. I only have a couple of tins left in the cellar.

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Mac Baren intends to relaunch that with more Latakia and less sweet at some point.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

WSerad
Congregation
Congregation

Post by WSerad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:05 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Burley London was only available in the US and Germany. It was dropped in the interest of MB moving their line into more natural or less sweetened directions.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word "darkness" on the walls of his cell. - C. S. Lewis

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 pm

I'm not a big Virginia/Perique fan. I have a jar of PS LNF and a couple of jars of C&D Exclusive that have been sitting since 2015, not because I was trying to age them but because I only rarely smoke either one. Tonight I smoked a bowl of Escudo that I bought a month or so ago and I really liked it. It's good stuff but I will stick to burleys for the most part. I am impressed though.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:50 pm

I now roll the coins and insert into the bowl.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:52 pm

I'm not much of a VaPer guy either, but sometimes it'll hit the odd spot on the rare occasion that I may have a hankering for it, but I try to stay away from the peppery variety because I can't handle the spice.

I haven't tried many of the different coins, but there ain't much to choose from in the dept.

I wish they still made the small curlies --- I think 3 Nuns is the only one? Any others?

I do make my own though. I cut up Hoggarth black pigtail.

Small curlies are the ideal size to load them pancake stack style, just on whole curly on top of another...

...just like as prescribed in the old 3N adverts:

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:07 am

philofumo wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:52 pm
I'm not much of a VaPer guy either, but sometimes it'll hit the odd spot on the rare occasion that I may have a hankering for it, but I try to stay away from the peppery variety because I can't handle the spice.

I haven't tried many of the different coins, but there ain't much to choose from in the dept.

I wish they still made the small curlies --- I think 3 Nuns is the only one? Any others?

Small curlies are the ideal size to load them pancake stack style, just on whole curly on top of another...
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro is small coins and it's very good tobacco too. It sounds like something you would like. In fact, I heard about it here and it sounded so good, I tried it. Here's the description from Tobacco Reviews.

"The choicest Virginias, burleys and dark fired Kenyan leaf are enhanced with an impeccable addition of spicy perique, then aged to perfection before being spun into enticingly beautiful, zesty coins"
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:18 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:07 am
philofumo wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro is small coins and it's very good tobacco too. It sounds like something you would like. In fact, I heard about it here and it sounded so good, I tried it. Here's the description from Tobacco Reviews.

"The choicest Virginias, burleys and dark fired Kenyan leaf are enhanced with an impeccable addition of spicy perique, then aged to perfection before being spun into enticingly beautiful, zesty coins"
Thanks.
I may try some at some point. It is reputed to be a more accurate match to the 3N of yore than the current 'official' 3N.
Both made by Mac Baren.

A while back I found an oddball private-label tin of some curlies that I suspect was made by Mac Baren. It hadn't aged well plus it was bitey on top of that. They were a little bigger than the size of a quarter.

I also have a tin of SG Cabbies stewing away in the cellar, might need to open it soon.

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:04 pm

philofumo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:18 am
I also have a tin of SG Cabbies stewing away in the cellar, might need to open it soon.
SG Cabbies is a favorite of mine. I found it to be a decent stand in for 3 Nuns.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Post by arank87 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:53 am

How is everyone buying SG? I’m on the email alerts and always seem late to the party. I’m going to try folding flakes and coins as I feel running gives a very inconsistent cut.
"You can call me, Al" - Me