Gawith & Hoggarth twists, ropes, and the like

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Gawith & Hoggarth twists, ropes, and the like

Post by A_Morley » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:25 am

To my knowledge, Gawith and Hoggarth are among the few manufacturers to still produce twists and ropes. Oh, yes, I think that Samuel Gawith does as well. In fact, I know that they do. Nevertheless. Which, among these ropes and twists, do you think are the best? Which need to be avoided?

I'm making a stockpile, you see.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Gawith & Hoggarth twists, ropes, and the like

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:09 pm

All I know is to avoid Cottonboll Twist.

I'll skip the details.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 pm

I enjoy the Sweet Coconut Twist from time to time. I usually keep a few ounces on hand.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:18 pm

The only rope I've smoked was SG Black XX. After half a small bowl I had to lay down for a while. Great taste but powerful stuff.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:02 pm

I like (that might be too strong a word) the black cherry and coconut twists. The rest are more bitter than I am.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:05 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:02 pm
I like (that might be too strong a word) the black cherry and coconut twists. The rest are more bitter than I am.
Over-roasted coffee steeped with myrrh?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:09 pm

I am much interested in the topic.

Brown Rope #4 is the only one I have sampled. I smoked through 2 ounces of it. Thick smoke. I found the flavor straightforward (I apologize, I am trying to think of a less negative description than "bland"). I could not taste any sweetness from the Virginia. The description on TR says there is cigar leaf and Kentucky in the blend; that probably explains the lack of high and low notes I was looking for.
It did not have any hint of a topping or flavoring.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Skip wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:02 pm
Over-roasted coffee steeped with myrrh?
You've been to an Ethiopian coffee shop?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:36 pm

I have barely a coin or two on a couple ropes.

A box pass focusing on ropes might be interesting. I'd have to pass for I have nothing to add or trade. But you rope guys, think about it.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Brown Rope #4 is the only one I have sampled. I smoked through 2 ounces of it. Thick smoke. I found the flavor straightforward (I apologize, I am trying to think of a less negative description than "bland"). I could not taste any sweetness from the Virginia. The description on TR says there is cigar leaf and Kentucky in the blend; that probably explains the lack of high and low notes I was looking for.
That could be because there is no Virginia in it. None at all. There is no cigar leaf in it either. What is Kentucky?
SG description: "Spun dark-Fired tobaccos in their natural form give No.4 a slow, full flavoured and full strength smoke."

Here's a fairly good one page summary of the tobaccos of the world: http://www.tobacco.yaia.com/types.html
Note that dark-fired is another kind of tobacco. TR is at variance with standard tobacco terminology (ie its blend content descriptions and blend-type are wrong, vague, and/or misleading in many cases).

Skill developing question: Which kind of tobacco is in S Gawith's 1792 flake and what does this have to do with Gawith twist?
Answer here: http://www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk/pipe-to ... cco.p.aspx
Now check TR and see what it says. Terms like "Virginia Based" and Kentucky, are misleading or vague. The TR content description and blend type for 1792 is wrong. It's very odd because they have included the manufacturer's product description at the top but it's as if that is not understood. Talking about dark leaf appears to be similar to talking about God at an atheist summer camp. It's better to check the manufacturers description and ignore TR for content info. The twists are all dark-fired tobacco as is 1792 Flake.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:20 am

Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 am
JudgeRusty wrote:

That could be because there is no Virginia in it. None at all. There is no cigar leaf in it either. What is Kentucky?
SG description: "Spun dark-Fired tobaccos in their natural form give No.4 a slow, full flavoured and full strength smoke."

Here's a fairly good one page summary of the tobaccos of the world: http://www.tobacco.yaia.com/types.html
Note that dark-fired is another kind of tobacco. TR is at variance with standard tobacco terminology (ie its blend content descriptions and blend-type are wrong, vague, and/or misleading in many cases).

Skill developing question: Which kind of tobacco is in S Gawith's 1792 flake and what does this have to do with Gawith twist?
Now check TR and see what it says. Terms like "Virginia Based" and Kentucky, are misleading or vague. The TR content description and blend type for 1792 is wrong. It's very odd because they have included the manufacturer's product description at the top but it's as if that is not understood. Talking about dark leaf appears to be similar to talking about God at an atheist summer camp. It's better to check the manufacturers description and ignore TR for content info. The twists are all dark-fired tobacco as is 1792 Flake.
I suppose the good news response to all that is that my taster is working as intended.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:27 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:20 am
Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 am
JudgeRusty wrote:

I suppose the good news response to all that is that my taster is working as intended.
Yep that's true. But there is also more out there than you were perhaps aware of. That's always a nice discovery. There may also be other ways of serving it up that interest you more. I always found this one a little brutal and there are others that are more appealing. Some of the flavoured ones are interesting. Also this is a pertinent example of weirdness on TR. TR is great for reviewer impressions but can be really misleading for tobacco information. Many of the reviewers think that it's Virginia tobacco too. It's crazy and it propagates the misunderstanding.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm

I once had one of those guillotine-like choppers that was specifically intended for cutting rope and plug tobacco. It was over a century old.

What ever happened to that thing? Not the sort of thing I would think was easy to misplace.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:10 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 pm
I enjoy the Sweet Coconut Twist from time to time. I usually keep a few ounces on hand.
I too enjoy GH Sweet Coconut Twist. I had a good stock laid up and my 2016 years secret santa sent me a good bit more. I don't get a sweet coconut taste, but I enjoy the tobaccos on it's own merits. I have not tried any other ropes. My wife finds the sight of a jar full of this rope off putting but I confess that I feel a little like a pirate each time I cut a few slices.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:20 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm
I once had one of those guillotine-like choppers that was specifically intended for cutting rope and plug tobacco. It was over a century old.

What ever happened to that thing? Not the sort of thing I would think was easy to misplace.
I always look for those when I am junking--no luck yet. I use a cigar cutter to cut into medallions.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 pm

So no one has experience and reviews to enlighten us about Brown Irish X, Rum Twist, Sweet Whiskey, Black XX, Happy Bogie or Sweet Maple Twist?

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:48 pm

I had a sample of rum twist once a few years ago. I remember liking it, good flavor and just a mild hint of rum if I recall correctly.
I do have some Brown #4 for trade, still have most of the tin, I just did not like it.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Maple Twist is one of the ones that the description has tempted me to purchase. Any of you have experience with that one?

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 pm

I love the Happy Brown Bogie. Especially in a cob or clay pipe. The black twists aren't my cup of tea right now. Someone on tobacco reviews described it as " tasting like a coal miner's armpit," and I thought that was apt haha. It's just the cooking process that makes it really oily and greasy tasting. The brown ones are terrific though.

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Oh, and they don't have that much nicotine either, that is a myth. The C& D Burley blends are stronger in nicotine, so if you can handle those you will be fine.