The Joys Of Visiting My Pipe Tobacco Cellar

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

The Joys Of Visiting My Pipe Tobacco Cellar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:21 pm

The other day I spent some time inspecting the many tins of various pipe tobaccos I have procured since taking the pipe back up in January 2016. Tins and Kerr jars. All the tin lids still had their concave appearance indicating a seal.

I think it is one of the real joys of pipe smoking to visit the cellar every so often. I saw that single jammed pack full jar of Sam Gawith BBF that's getting on to a year. And it was nice to hold the jar and look through the glass at the aging flakes, thinking of how good it will be to crack that jar one day. And there was the jar of Old Joe Kranz I put away last summer after smoking a couple bowls from a bulk order. And then of the over fifty 1/2 pint jars in storage, I saw 3 jam packed jars of Peter Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake,... only to discover underneath that cardboard tray, another 3 jars!

And the tins! The many, many tins! It felt good to see I had 21 tins of Dunhill Flake, some with nearly a year on them now. And the many tins of McClelland Tudor Castle, Aurora, and St. James Flake,... all slumbering, tucked away neatly in their cool, dark place.

What are some of the joys of visiting your cellar?

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: The Joys Of Visiting My Pipe Tobacco Cellar

Post by hugodrax » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:21 pm
The other day I spent some time inspecting the many tins of various pipe tobaccos I have procured since taking the pipe back up in January 2016. Tins and Kerr jars. All the tin lids still had their concave appearance indicating a seal.

I think it is one of the real joys of pipe smoking to visit the cellar every so often. I saw that single jammed pack full jar of Sam Gawith BBF that's getting on to a year. And it was nice to hold the jar and look through the glass at the aging flakes, thinking of how good it will be to crack that jar one day. And there was the jar of Old Joe Kranz I put away last summer after smoking a couple bowls from a bulk order. And then of the over fifty 1/2 pint jars in storage, I saw 3 jam packed jars of Peter Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake,... only to discover underneath the cardboard tray, another 3 jars!

And the tins! The many, many tins! It felt good to see I had 21 tins of Dunhill Flake, some with nearly a year on them now. And the many tins of McClelland Tudor Castle, Aurora, and St. James Flake,... all slumbering, tucked away neatly in their cool, dark place.

Cool thread, Goose.

The joy of visiting the cellar for me is pretty much nonexistent. I don't have one, you see. I used to, but then kids came and expenses shot up (apparently, you don't just have kids anymore and send them to good schools, they also are reasons to join clubs to socialize them well and then you have to have big ol' birthday parties and celebrate every achievement--all of it right and just) and now I rarely buy more than a 1/2 lb of tobacco or two tins at a time.

People that cellar deeply have my respect. The one thing I wish I had done when I was cellaring was periodically open one to make sure I liked where it was going. Astleys 44 and 88 aged well (found a stash of the 88 yesterday), some others became disappointing.

The only joy of my cellar these days is it's where we keep the vino.

Nice looking collection. I know from our discussions I'd happily smoke anything you have!
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:52 pm

The joy of my cellar is that I actually have one now. 2 tins of Prince Albert, 2 ounces of Lane Hazelnut, 2 tins of Dunhill Aperitif, 2 tins of 965, and 2 pouches of John Bull in mason jars.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:41 pm
Cool thread, Goose.

The joy of visiting the cellar for me is pretty much nonexistent. I don't have one, you see. I used to, but then kids came and expenses shot up (apparently, you don't just have kids anymore and send them to good schools, they also are reasons to join clubs to socialize them well and then you have to have big ol' birthday parties and celebrate every achievement--all of it right and just) and now I rarely buy more than a 1/2 lb of tobacco or two tins at a time.
I'm there with you Hugo. I once had a decent collection of pipes and tobacco. Kids came along (along with being laid off) and I sold all my tobacco and most of my pipes through Pipestud on Ebay.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Cigarson was home for a visit, and we stepped downstairs to pick out something special to smoke.

After a bit of shopping through the inventory, Cigarson said, "I like looking at tobacco."

Me too.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:41 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:21 pm

I think it is one of the real joys of pipe smoking to visit the cellar every so often. I saw that single jammed pack full jar of Sam Gawith BBF that's getting on to a year. And it was nice to hold the jar and look through the glass at the aging flakes, thinking of how good it will be to crack that jar one day. And there was the jar of Old Joe Kranz I put away last summer after smoking a couple bowls from a bulk order. And then of the over fifty 1/2 pint jars in storage, I saw 3 jam packed jars of Peter Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake,... only to discover underneath the cardboard tray, another 3 jars!

Cool thread, Goose.

People that cellar deeply have my respect. The one thing I wish I had done when I was cellaring was periodically open one to make sure I liked where it was going. Astleys 44 and 88 aged well (found a stash of the 88 yesterday), some others became disappointing.

The only joy of my cellar these days is it's where we keep the vino.

Nice looking collection. I know from our discussions I'd happily smoke anything you have!
I know we'd like cracking a tin of the Kohlhase Kopp McConnell Scottish Flake. You were the one who sent me a sample of it.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:53 pm

I went to visit your cellar and could not get in. Next thing I know five-oh is rolling up all in my junk, yo. Hasteling me about trespassing and poop. So they gotta pay me down, right? Because why? Oh the trespassing thing. Well. I told the very large and sterned face officer I had no wespons at all and gladly submitted to the pat down. Well, I had just come back from walking the dogs and still had the little plastic dogshit bag, filled with fresh ones, in my pocket.

I didn't get arrested. But damn I just could not stop laughing when Me. Badass came out with a hand full of poo.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:11 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:53 pm
I went to visit your cellar and could not get in. Next thing I know five-oh is rolling up all in my junk, yo. Hasteling me about trespassing and poop. So they gotta pay me down, right? Because why? Oh the trespassing thing. Well. I told the very large and sterned face officer I had no wespons at all and gladly submitted to the pat down. Well, I had just come back from walking the dogs and still had the little plastic dogshit bag, filled with fresh ones, in my pocket.

I didn't get arrested. But damn I just could not stop laughing when Me. Badass came out with a hand full of poo.
So, I'm visiting my daughter in upstate NY, where everyone walking a dog carries a plastic bag. I'm ok with that in town, so I go along and pick up my dog's deposit.
My dog looked at me like I was crazy. Wouldn't come near me until I threw that plastic bag away. Much later, actually. Country dog, I suppose.
Tobacco cellar? Sure, I'd visit yours, any day.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:28 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:11 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:53 pm

So, I'm visiting my daughter in upstate NY, where everyone walking a dog carries a plastic bag. I'm ok with that in town, so I go along and pick up my dog's deposit.
My dog looked at me like I was crazy. Wouldn't come near me until I threw that plastic bag away. Much later, actually. Country dog, I suppose.
Tobacco cellar? Sure, I'd visit yours, any day.
You know, I've said for years that the reason city dogs are so badly behaved is that no animal can respect another animal that collects its poop.

Al_S_
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Al_S_ » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:17 am

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:26 am

Go ahead, hijack the thread.
Last edited by Goose55 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:22 pm

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:14 pm

I'll bring it back, Goose. I'd be happy to share a smoke of SF with you anytime.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Al_S_ wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:17 am
and
Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:22 pm
Best damn thread jack ever. Kudos, boys.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

saltedplug
Usher
Usher

Post by saltedplug » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 pm

I have a big cellar, much it jarred, ~150 lbs, featuring :

Dark Flake and Plug
FVF, 2012
St. James Flake
Haddos Delight, 2013
Cumberland
Christmas Cheer 2012
Peter Heinrich Curly, 2003, 2012
Escudo, 2013, 2015
Old Dark Fired
GH brown and black rope

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:41 am

saltedplug wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Dark Flake and Plug
FVF, 2012
St. James Flake
Haddos Delight, 2013
Cumberland
Christmas Cheer 2012
Escudo, 2013, 2015
Old Dark Fired
GH brown and black rope
Do you need some help smoking that down?
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:41 am
saltedplug wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Dark Flake and Plug
FVF, 2012
St. James Flake
Haddos Delight, 2013
Cumberland
Christmas Cheer 2012
Escudo, 2013, 2015
Old Dark Fired
GH brown and black rope
Do you need some help smoking that down?
Surely, 150 lbs is far too great for two men. Perhaps, three is enough. ;)
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

424cat
Congregation
Congregation

Post by 424cat » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:52 pm
The joy of my cellar is that I actually have one now. 2 tins of Prince Albert, 2 ounces of Lane Hazelnut, 2 tins of Dunhill Aperitif, 2 tins of 965, and 2 pouches of John Bull in mason jars.
Your cellar is much larger then mine. I have about 1/2 tin Dunhill de luxe navy rolls, that's the extent of the cellar. The good thing is I got about 12 oz. on order along with a new pipe.
on bended knee

saltedplug
Usher
Usher

Post by saltedplug » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:00 pm

I bought 90% of it in the first six months of 2013 hoping to avoid paying exorbitant prices for tobacco in anticipation of onerous FDA regulation. Since then I've probably smoked 20 lbs. of Dark Flake, 5 of 1792, 3 of Cumberland, etc.

On the other hand I've bought 8 lbs of Dark Plug,
800 g La Brumeuse,
40 tins Royal Yacht,
10 tins Commodore.

So maybe I have more than the 2013 buy.

As regards getting help in the smoking of it, though I do appreciate the offer, I chose to divest myself of these goods intermittently to aspiring smokers that I meet in the swim of daily life.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:07 pm

saltedplug wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:00 pm
I bought 90% of it in the first six months of 2013 hoping to avoid paying exorbitant prices for tobacco in anticipation of onerous FDA regulation. Since then I've probably smoked 20 lbs. of Dark Flake, 5 of 1792, 3 of Cumberland, etc.

On the other hand I've bought 8 lbs of Dark Plug,
800 g La Brumeuse,
40 tins Royal Yacht,
10 tins Commodore.

So maybe I have more than the 2013 buy.

As regards getting help in the smoking of it, though I do appreciate the offer, I chose to divest myself of these goods intermittently to aspiring smokers that I meet in the swim of daily life.
You have an arsenal of pipe tobacco. I have never had the Royal Yacht, but I understand it has a baked bread like flavor, which I think I like. Wow. 40 tins. You are set for the pipe tobacco apocalypse.

Anyone else visit/ peruse their cellar lately?