Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9660
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:18 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm
Ok, I pulled the trigger (to borrow the phrase from Hugo) on a brick of this. I've had one bowl, and so far I dont get the "sweet" part. "Earthy"? Perhaps, depending on your idea of earthy. It sort of triggers my old memories from 40 yrs ago of Five Brothers.

DL, you really want to try a bowl or two of this? Just let me know.
You don’t like it, let me know. I’ll buy it.

Now, to get the sweet? Pull once every thirty seconds. Don’t worry about relighting, it’s dry as a bone and will stay lit. Think angel’s kisses on your draws. Faint little puffs.
Thanks. I liked it, but yes, I probly smoked it much too fast; anxious to discover the reported taste. And I shouldn't have read that NYT piece on semois first. It's an interesting shag, and I'll smoke a few more bowls.

Add:. I picture this paired very nicely with a pale ale.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16972
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:31 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:18 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm
Ok, I pulled the trigger (to borrow the phrase from Hugo) on a brick of this. I've had one bowl, and so far I dont get the "sweet" part. "Earthy"? Perhaps, depending on your idea of earthy. It sort of triggers my old memories from 40 yrs ago of Five Brothers.

DL, you really want to try a bowl or two of this? Just let me know.
You don’t like it, let me know. I’ll buy it.

Now, to get the sweet? Pull once every thirty seconds. Don’t worry about relighting, it’s dry as a bone and will stay lit. Think angel’s kisses on your draws. Faint little puffs.
Thanks. I liked it, but yes, I probly smoked it much too fast; anxious to discover the reported taste. And I shouldn't have read that NYT piece on semois first. It's an interesting shag, and I'll smoke a few more bowls.

Add:. I picture this paired very nicely with a pale ale.
That piece was beautiful, though, yes?

I’ll wager you come to like it. If not, say the word and I’ll make it right.

I’m as surprised as anything else. I didn’t think anything good came out of Belgium, but I love my dog and I love Semois. I draw the line at currywurst, though.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9660
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:57 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:31 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:18 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm
Ok, I pulled the trigger (to borrow the phrase from Hugo) on a brick of this. I've had one bowl, and so far I dont get the "sweet" part. "Earthy"? Perhaps, depending on your idea of earthy. It sort of triggers my old memories from 40 yrs ago of Five Brothers.

DL, you really want to try a bowl or two of this? Just let me know.
You don’t like it, let me know. I’ll buy it.

Now, to get the sweet? Pull once every thirty seconds. Don’t worry about relighting, it’s dry as a bone and will stay lit. Think angel’s kisses on your draws. Faint little puffs.
Thanks. I liked it, but yes, I probly smoked it much too fast; anxious to discover the reported taste. And I shouldn't have read that NYT piece on semois first. It's an interesting shag, and I'll smoke a few more bowls.

Add:. I picture this paired very nicely with a pale ale.
That piece was beautiful, though, yes?

I’ll wager you come to like it. If not, say the word and I’ll make it right.

I’m as surprised as anything else. I didn’t think anything good came out of Belgium, but I love my dog and I love Semois. I draw the line at currywurst, though.
Off topic now, but while we're at it, I had a couple of pretty good looking co-workers from Ghent. I remember one in particular, who told me all about making schnitzel for her husband when Germany won the World Cup in 2014. I don't picture her having anything to do with currywurst, but I can picture her smoking semois. She'd always bring several boxes of seashell shaped chocolates whenever she came to the States. If I'd known back then what I know now.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4816
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:18 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm
Ok, I pulled the trigger (to borrow the phrase from Hugo) on a brick of this. I've had one bowl, and so far I dont get the "sweet" part. "Earthy"? Perhaps, depending on your idea of earthy. It sort of triggers my old memories from 40 yrs ago of Five Brothers.

DL, you really want to try a bowl or two of this? Just let me know.
You don’t like it, let me know. I’ll buy it.

Now, to get the sweet? Pull once every thirty seconds. Don’t worry about relighting, it’s dry as a bone and will stay lit. Think angel’s kisses on your draws. Faint little puffs.
What he said. It's not a consistent sweetness, like a lot of VAs, it's just a touch.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9660
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:03 am

It's a good smoke this morning, in a small cw packed tightly, smoked more slowly, with morning coffee. Thanks for the advice.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4816
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:45 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:03 am
It's a good smoke this morning, in a small cw packed tightly, smoked more slowly, with morning coffee. Thanks for the advice.
Glad you enjoyed it. I need to buy more myself. I have maybe 3 bowls left.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11576
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:51 pm

I picked up a generous sample of Samois a few years ago at the Chicago show. I remember enjoying it, it was fairly unique - earthy, cigar-ish (in a good way), and somewhat subtle are what I remember. Very good, but I never did purchase more.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 37685
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Del » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:36 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm
Ok, I pulled the trigger (to borrow the phrase from Hugo) on a brick of this. I've had one bowl, and so far I dont get the "sweet" part. "Earthy"? Perhaps, depending on your idea of earthy. It sort of triggers my old memories from 40 yrs ago of Five Brothers.
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:03 am
It's a good smoke this morning, in a small cw packed tightly, smoked more slowly, with morning coffee.
I have noticed that virginia tobacco has some sort of voodoo to it.

When I first try a bowl, it appears has no flavor. But later... half-way through the first bowl, or maybe not until another bowl the next day... it starts to taste sweet, with the other flavors appearing as well.

With SG Best Brown, it was nutty & and full.
With Newminster Straight Virginia, it was sweet, grassy hay.
With McClelland 5100 and 2015, it was zingy with citrus spices.

But that first bowl.... nothing but hot air. I have no idea what causes this phenomenon. All I know is to be patient with a virginia blend until it decides to reveal itself.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21200
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Jocose » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:25 am

Image

Getting ready to fire up a bowl..
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21200
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Jocose » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Image

This is an excellent tobac.

Earth, soil, grass, nuttiness of a Burley, barn like with the occasional sweetness that comes across almost to the point of being like an aromatic, although it is not.

Sometimes it vaguely reminds me of the Old Iwan Reis 3 Star Blue but in a good way.

Burns like 5 Brothers so a tight pack and sipping are a must.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21200
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Jocose » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:24 pm

The more I smoke the more I enjoy this stuff.

Pick some up boys.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
ryland
More of this
More of this
Posts: 3481
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 pm

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by ryland » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Every time I've added this to a cart I decide not to pull the trigger because of the $25 for 100g. I can get a lb. of other blends I know I like. I might get it soon.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21200
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Jocose » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:06 pm

ryland wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 pm
Every time I've added this to a cart I decide not to pull the trigger because of the $25 for 100g. I can get a lb. of other blends I know I like. I might get it soon.
It's well worth the money. Its on the dry side so yer paying for the tobacco and not the water weight like in other tins.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4816
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:06 pm
ryland wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 pm
Every time I've added this to a cart I decide not to pull the trigger because of the $25 for 100g. I can get a lb. of other blends I know I like. I might get it soon.
It's well worth the money. Its on the dry side so yer paying for the tobacco and not the water weight like in other tins.
Yup. I'd say a 100g brick is about equal to 200g of something from someone else. It's a lot of tobacco...
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28685
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by coco » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 am

Do you guys hydrate it, or smoke it as is?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16972
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:06 am

coco wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 am
Do you guys hydrate it, or smoke it as is?
I smoke it as is. I don’t think it would be as good with hydration.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4816
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 am

It's meant to be smoked dry. Hydrating it makes it lose its essence. It smokes fast, so do a roll pack and sip.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21200
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin

Post by Jocose » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Image

Le Petit Robin

Reserve du Patron

Brian Madsen Eskimo
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

Post Reply