IT'S ALIVE!!! (Resurrecting Vintage Tins)

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: IT'S ALIVE!!! (Resurrecting Vintage Tins)

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:58 pm
Rusty wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 am
You can always try. But that product hasn't been made in over 30 years. That's the youngest it can be. It's older than you. Even in a sealed tin it's unlikely to be as good as it was the year it was made. That it is open suggests much worse. It depends how long it has been open though. After a month open tobacco noticeably loses flavour. After a year open to the air it's a lost cause. It's not just moisture lost but the complex organics that make flavour. Also being open it tends to absorb scents and perhaps other things from its environment over longer periods of time. It comes to equilibrium with its environment. The prospects aren't great. I've never had any luck even resurrecting year-open "lost seal in the cellar tins".

That it still has a tobacco scent is promising. GL Pease talks about this challenge in a couple of articles.

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=28
http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=49

GLP suggests dumping the dry tobacco into a kitchen bowl and putting a very damp towel over the bowl (not in contact with the tobacco and not dripping). It's going to be days at this. Some suggest spritzing the tobacco directly with water. But since it was open I would guess that there is even a better chance of mold growing.

The American Tobacco Co. was the last manufacturer and they ceased manufacturing by '94. I think Blue Boar was discontinued in the mid-80's or so and the original never returned. The 80's were very bad years for pipe tobacco. We lost a lot. Bob Runowski was a very vocal fan of Blue Boar. If you look around you'll find some of his old posts from about 2000 through to 2011 on various forums. He passed away in 2011, I think. He posted under the name Morleysson, even here on CPS. He's the author of C&D's Morley's Best as a replacement for Blue Boar. So you might try that. It's available. He's the author of many of the great C&D Burley mixtures eg Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, and many others.
Fitting! I got a tin of Presbyterian Mixture from Rusty which was unfortunately unsealed. It is now verrrry dry. So I searched for ways to rehydrate Rusty's tobacco, and the man himself gives me an answer.

I'm trying to figure out if the seal was loosened sometime ago, or if perhaps in shipping. It's so dry that I'd think it was a long time ago, however it still has plenty of scent to it. So I'm wondering if maybe it occurred in shipping; with no seal, and freezing in the postal truck across Canada, it would have dried it out plenty in that time.

I'm going to give the bowl/towel trick a shot I think.
Save out a portion of the very dry and try it in a pipe with a large bowl. You may like it.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:37 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 am
ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:
You can always try. But that product hasn't been made in over 30 years. That's the youngest it can be. It's older than you. Even in a sealed tin it's unlikely to be as good as it was the year it was made. That it is open suggests much worse. It depends how long it has been open though. After a month open tobacco noticeably loses flavour. After a year open to the air it's a lost cause. It's not just moisture lost but the complex organics that make flavour. Also being open it tends to absorb scents and perhaps other things from its environment over longer periods of time. It comes to equilibrium with its environment. The prospects aren't great. I've never had any luck even resurrecting year-open "lost seal in the cellar tins".

That it still has a tobacco scent is promising. GL Pease talks about this challenge in a couple of articles.

GLP suggests dumping the dry tobacco into a kitchen bowl and putting a very damp towel over the bowl (not in contact with the tobacco and not dripping). It's going to be days at this. Some suggest spritzing the tobacco directly with water. But since it was open I would guess that there is even a better chance of mold growing.

The American Tobacco Co. was the last manufacturer and they ceased manufacturing by '94. I think Blue Boar was discontinued in the mid-80's or so and the original never returned. The 80's were very bad years for pipe tobacco. We lost a lot. Bob Runowski was a very vocal fan of Blue Boar. If you look around you'll find some of his old posts from about 2000 through to 2011 on various forums. He passed away in 2011, I think. He posted under the name Morleysson, even here on CPS. He's the author of C&D's Morley's Best as a replacement for Blue Boar. So you might try that. It's available. He's the author of many of the great C&D Burley mixtures eg Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, and many others.
Fitting! I got a tin of Presbyterian Mixture from Rusty which was unfortunately unsealed. It is now verrrry dry. So I searched for ways to rehydrate Rusty's tobacco, and the man himself gives me an answer.

I'm trying to figure out if the seal was loosened sometime ago, or if perhaps in shipping. It's so dry that I'd think it was a long time ago, however it still has plenty of scent to it. So I'm wondering if maybe it occurred in shipping; with no seal, and freezing in the postal truck across Canada, it would have dried it out plenty in that time.

Save out a portion of the very dry and try it in a pipe with a large bowl. You may like it.
I actually did the other day while turning a pen :) It was still "good" to me. But bone-dry tobaccy like that sure burns quick!
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:05 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I get the same results with a Tupperware bowl. It works a lot faster and there are no worries of air or towel borne contaminants. Put the tobacco in the bowl in a donut shape. Put a small container of distilled water in the middle. Burp the lid. Just don't forget about it long term. It will mold if it gets soggy.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:22 am

Sometimes I'll just blend old dried out tobacco with fresh, same or similar, tobacco. It can make an interesting smoke.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:12 pm

I just soak a paper towel folded into a small square in distilled water, squeeze it out and toss it into the tobacco for about 12 hours and then remove it and mix the tobacco up and there you have it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis