Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8927
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Anyone have one? A comparison, that is.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:08 am

I like them both.

Generally I prefer Maltese Falcon.

I think Lauren Bacall's sultry look is a big plus for Key Largo.

ETA: I just noticed that this is in the Tobacco Hut, so I'm now suspecting that you might not have been referring to the movies. :oops:
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8927
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:08 am
I like them both.

Generally I prefer Maltese Falcon.

I think Lauren Bacall's sultry look is a big plus for Key Largo.

ETA: I just noticed that this is in the Tobacco Hut, so I'm now suspecting that you might not have been referring to the movies. :oops:
Is ok. Ive always loved Bacall, and now I have a mental pic of her smoking a delicate pipe filled with KL.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by StoicDetective » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm

I've got Falcon by Pease on order. Should get to my place tomorrow.
Pending the weather is acceptable to smoke. I'll attempt my first review on Falcon here ... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8927
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:19 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
I've got Falcon by Pease on order. Should get to my place tomorrow.
Pending the weather is acceptable to smoke. I'll attempt my first review on Falcon here ... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
Whoa! You're off to a fast start, on several fronts. BTW, let me know if you wish to trade some Falcon for some KL.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21072
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
I dig the Falcon and hope you get the same result. To me, it's one of the few truly unique blends out there.

Even if you agree with me, I'll probably still heckle you.

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by StoicDetective » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:41 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
I dig the Falcon and hope you get the same result. To me, it's one of the few truly unique blends out there.

Even if you agree with me, I'll probably still heckle you.
Heckling is understood if I start referring to taco spices, pork rinds, and mustard notes.
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21072
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:41 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
I dig the Falcon and hope you get the same result. To me, it's one of the few truly unique blends out there.

Even if you agree with me, I'll probably still heckle you.
Heckling is understood if I start referring to taco spices, pork rinds, and mustard notes.
I don't know, I'd probably try a taco scented aromatic.

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by StoicDetective » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:13 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:41 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
I dig the Falcon and hope you get the same result. To me, it's one of the few truly unique blends out there.

Even if you agree with me, I'll probably still heckle you.
Heckling is understood if I start referring to taco spices, pork rinds, and mustard notes.
I don't know, I'd probably try a taco scented aromatic.
:barf1: :barf1:
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:24 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:13 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:41 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
I dig the Falcon and hope you get the same result. To me, it's one of the few truly unique blends out there.

Even if you agree with me, I'll probably still heckle you.
Heckling is understood if I start referring to taco spices, pork rinds, and mustard notes.
I don't know, I'd probably try a taco scented aromatic.
:barf1: :barf1:
Are you familiar with the works of Marcus Aurelius?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 3559
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: USA, USA!!!

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:41 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
I dig the Falcon and hope you get the same result. To me, it's one of the few truly unique blends out there.

Even if you agree with me, I'll probably still heckle you.
Heckling is understood if I start referring to taco spices, pork rinds, and mustard notes.
I don't know, I'd probably try a taco scented aromatic.
Crunchy or soft?
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:41 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
I dig the Falcon and hope you get the same result. To me, it's one of the few truly unique blends out there.

Even if you agree with me, I'll probably still heckle you.
Heckling is understood if I start referring to taco spices, pork rinds, and mustard notes.
I don't know, I'd probably try a taco scented aromatic.
Crunchy or soft?
Mmmm...chicharrones taco con lakatia.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8927
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:19 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
I've got Falcon by Pease on order. Should get to my place tomorrow.
Pending the weather is acceptable to smoke. I'll attempt my first review on Falcon here ... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
Whoa! You're off to a fast start, on several fronts. BTW, let me know if you wish to trade some Falcon for some KL.
NM, I just included a small tin of Falcon in an order.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by StoicDetective » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:41 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm
StoicDetective wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
... and subject myself to the CPS peanut gallery comments.
I dig the Falcon and hope you get the same result. To me, it's one of the few truly unique blends out there.

Even if you agree with me, I'll probably still heckle you.
Heckling is understood if I start referring to taco spices, pork rinds, and mustard notes.
I don't know, I'd probably try a taco scented aromatic.
Crunchy or soft?
Mmmm...chicharrones taco con lakatia.
second only to menudo aromatics
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14317
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 am

Maltese Falcon is reminiscent of apple smoked bacon, though it has been a while. I've got some unopened tins from '08. First person to PM me will get a tin for a compare and contrast: new vs aged. Make sure you have a new tin for comparison.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by StoicDetective » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Got my 2oz tin of falcon and 2oz tin of speakeasy in the mail today.

I crack open the falcon and my wife said it smelled like medicinal leather. She said the speakeasy smells like sweet feed (horse food/supplement). She asked if she could have some in a bag for air freshener in her car.

I try to smoke both over the next couple of days and write a thought or two about each

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8927
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Key Largo vs Maltese Falcon Comparison

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Why compare these two in the first place? The short story is that I had smoked a few bowls of both several years ago; samples from a box pass (~2008 or 2009). They were both good smokes, but one had some very nice nuances that I particularly enjoyed. But which?

They are similarly described. Red Virginias, Cyprian Latakia, orientals and "bright flu-cured leaf (MF), or cigar wrapper leaf (KL). The Maltese Falcon lists an additional "discreet and mysterious spice". They have very similar tin notes. Of course, the Falcon is ribbon cut and KL is broken flake.

I purchased a tin of each. Both are dated 2017, a few months apart. I've smoked each in a pipe similarly-ghosted with Latakia, swapping out back and forth. The MF was very moist, and remains so even with multiple openings and at least 1/4 of the tin gone now. But it doesn't seem so while smoking, curiously. It stays lit, and burns to a light ash in the bowl. Not a complex smoke at all; a good smoke.

The KL, however, is the one I remembered and was looking for. It's not as moist but requires a re-light or two, fairly typical of flakes perhaps. It's more stout than MF to say the least. Smoke it slowly to capture the subtle cigar taste, which lingers after you set the pipe down. Smoke it too fast and I'll find myself laying on the couch from the effects of vitamin N. Not as severe as with, say, Lancers Slices, but enough. Towards the bottom of the bowl is when I get the exotic flavors, clove being the strongest, like the flavors you can get when approaching the end of a good Macanudo Prince Philip Cafe, for example. It could very possibly compete with McC's Dark Star for pronounced "bottom-of-the-bowl" flavors.

MF is good. But KL is the one.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Post Reply