Down to my last tin of FMOTT

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Down to my last tin of FMOTT

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:23 am

I don't now whether to go ahead and open it and enjoy then order some more. OR tap into my Trinity mixture( a collection of odds and ends of Latakia, Oriental and British mixtures amassed over time, hence it's named Trinity as whats exactly in it is a mystery) OR try a few sample bowls at the local B&M until deciding on a course of action, OR order a sampler of McClelland Orientals to try as I've become a fan of Oriental tobaccos.

I considered trying an aromatic just to mix things up----C&D Autumn Evening ----but I got stuck driving behind someone vaping at the wheel and the sickening sweetness sort of turned me off to over the top aromatics.

Any suggestions? Guidance?

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Down to my last tin of FMOTT

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:10 am

I always keep a 3.5 oz tin of FMotT on the shelf, and if or when the shelf empties, the very last tin remaining will be FMotT. It'll be my last smoke when someday I lay my pipe down.

So, my opinion is to go ahead and open your tin, and then order another.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:05 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:10 am
I always keep a 3.5 oz tin of FMotT on the shelf, and if or when the shelf empties, the very last tin remaining will be FMotT. It'll be my last smoke when someday I lay my pipe down.

So, my opinion is to go ahead and open your tin, and then order another.
Great idea!

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:18 am

I have a 3.5 ounce tin of FMOTT I purchased in the Spring of 2016 along w/ the regular FM. Haven't felt to urge to smoke either. I got them after having smoked a small tin of On The Bayou. There has just been other tobaccos I've enjoyed.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:27 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:18 am
I have a 3.5 ounce tin of FMOTT I purchased in the Spring of 2016 along w/ the regular FM. Haven't felt to urge to smoke either. I got them after having smoked a small tin of On The Bayou. There has just been other tobaccos I've enjoyed.
Very helpful advice, Goose.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:53 pm

I am not a Froggie nut.

I don't dislike them. I enjoy several of their blends. Just not a booster.

Please enjoy yer Froggie, homeslice. Enjoy it greatly, I say.

Thumb your nose at the naysayers. Ball your fists tight and place them on your hips. Puff your chest and stick your nose in the air.

Sigh deeply and pause a pause that would make Captain Kirk drool.

Then stick your nose to the air and gently close your eyes and calmly exclaim in a deep low tone.

Send money to DL.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:08 pm

It's the Basma that brought the Frog to my attention.
Fine stuff, Basma.
My mission is to rescue all Basma from the black hole of the Middle East.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:21 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:08 pm
Fine stuff, Basma.
It's not there. LOL! Sid is probably thinking it's better that you go to the middle east, rather than eastern Greece (western Thrace, near Xanthi) where it's really from. Are you looking for trouble and do you need directions? Write and let us know how you're doing. Good luck & Bye bye!

There are quite a few blends in McClelland's product line that have Basma or Xanthi (yes, Xanthi). Maybe it's time to try them too, before going, and before they go?

In the Grand Orientals there are two - Both Yenidje blends. One of the two has latakia too. The grand orientals are a showcase for village orientals so others in the series are good too.
Balkan Beauty (likely but not explicitly mentioned)
There are at least four in the Club blends - CPCC New Century, CORPS Cyprian Star, GKCPC English Woods, GKCPC Syrian Star (prob gone).
Bulk #2020 Matured Cake (the title is misleading). I like this one too.
Ashton Old Dog in the Ashton revival line (Xanthi is something like a grade of Basma). Old Dog is very good. Try it. Only the dogmatically bizarre wouldn't trade three nuns for an old dog. :D
Others that I think have Basma or Xanthi are Presbyterian (Madly Lutheran according to moi) & Peterson Old Dublin.
Sid might have more recs too. You never know.

Check McClelland's site - http://mcclellandtobacco.com/
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:21 am
Hovannes wrote:
Fine stuff, Basma.
It's not there. LOL! Sid is probably thinking it's better that you go to the middle east, rather than eastern Greece (western Thrace, near Xanthi) where it's really from. Are you looking for trouble and do you need directions? Write and let us know how you're doing. Good luck & Bye bye!

There are quite a few blends in McClelland's product line that have Basma or Xanthi (yes, Xanthi). Maybe it's time to try them too, before going, and before they go?

In the Grand Orientals there are two - Both Yenidje blends. One of the two has latakia too. The grand orientals are a showcase for village orientals so others in the series are good too.
There are at least four in the Club blends - CPCC New Century, CORPS Cyprian Star, GKCPC English Woods, GKCPC Syrian Star (prob gone).
Ashton Old Dog in the Ashton revival line (Xanthi is something like a grade of Basma). Old Dog is very good. Try it. Only the dogmatically bizarre wouldn't trade three nuns for an old dog. :D
Others that I think have Basma or Xanthi are Presbyterian (Madly Lutheran according to moi) & Peterson Old Dublin.

Are other McClelland Grand Orientals soon to disappear like Yenidje Highlander?

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:13 am

plainview wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:55 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:21 am
Hovannes wrote:
Fine stuff, Basma.

Are other McClelland Grand Orientals soon to disappear like Yenidje Highlander?
Where did you hear that (other than my poking at Hov)?

There is an FDA grandfather date - Feb. 15, 2007 for tobacco products. Anything on the market (distributors shipping it) then is grandfathered and it stays subject only to the manufacturer's whims. Anything introduced or reintroduce after that date is considered vulnerable. To keep it on the market they have to show substantial equivalence with a grandfathered product so it's subject to more investment and FDA approval. Its product availability is at risk. But the FDA delayed all this until 2021 so ... On this list the post-Feb. 15, 2007 intros include the McClelland Club blends (2010), Ashton Revival blends (2010), Grand Orientals (2007 July), Balkan Beauty (2016).

Other than the FDA issue tobacco products may disappear from the market if key ingredients disappear eg we saw this with Syrian Latakia blends, which would have affected Yenidje Highlander; it had Syrian Latakia. I haven't heard that any other the Grand Orientals are in this state (it would not be because of Syrian Latakia) but it is possible. McClelland has a selection of village Orientals that doesn't seem to be common at all.

There's a good reason why they call America "The land of the free and the home of the brave."
The free stuff is long done and they're going after staples now. You better be brave.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:56 pm

[/quote]

In the Grand Orientals there are two - Both Yenidje blends. One of the two has latakia too.
[/quote]

Just to verify, the one that had the latakia was "HighLander" and it HAD Syrian and Cyprian latakia and is now no longer available because Syrian is no more...is that still the case, or has MC altered it to just have the Cyprian lat?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:56 pm

In the Grand Orientals there are two - Both Yenidje blends. One of the two has latakia too.
Just to verify, the one that had the latakia was "HighLander" and it HAD Syrian and Cyprian latakia and is now no longer available because Syrian is no more...is that still the case, or has MC altered it to just have the Cyprian lat?
Yes, Highlander had both Latakias. I don't see it at the usual places and in most listings they don't have an out-of-stock place holder. It may be that some B&M's have some stock on shelves. I suspect, like all the other Syrian Latakia blends, that it's gone with the end of their Syrian Latakia supply. Would you prefer that they keep all the Syrian Latakia blends and just replace the Syrian with Cyprian Latakia? BTW this is what many think happened to all the Latakia blends that used to incorporate Syrian Latakia in the early 60's. They kept the product and slowly changed the recipe to eliminate the Syrian Latakia. I think it's a cheat to preserve their revenue & product line. Most of them were no longer active making anything new. The brands and blends have no integrity to their origins. We've seen wild movement of product so that it doesn't resemble the original product at all. McClelland, C&D, & GLP didn't do that. But they were making new blends. However, with the FDA active should they preserve the lines when supply takes out ingredients?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Yes, Highlander had both Latakias. I don't see it at the usual places and in most listings they don't have an out-of-stock place holder. It may be that some B&M's have some stock on shelves. I suspect, like all the other Syrian Latakia blends, that it's gone with the end of their Syrian Latakia supply. Would you prefer that they keep all the Syrian Latakia blends and just replace the Syrian with Cyprian Latakia? BTW this is what many think happened to all the Latakia blends that used to incorporate Syrian Latakia in the early 60's. They kept the product and slowly changed the recipe to eliminate the Syrian Latakia. I think it's a cheat to preserve their revenue & product line. Most of them were no longer active making anything new. The brands and blends have no integrity to their origins. We've seen wild movement of product so that it doesn't resemble the original product at all. McClelland, C&D, & GLP didn't do that. But they were making new blends. However, with the FDA active should they preserve the lines when supply takes out ingredients?
No I wouldn't want the companies to short cut it. I agree with you that the integrity of the blend is important. I was a big fan of Highlander and if they shipped it out and it was different, that would bum me out more than not having it at all. Same with Wilderness. I would rather just fondly remember it, and wait for Syrian to return.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:13 am
Where did you hear that (other than my poking at Hov)?
I'm coming back to this thread a little late, but yes, for all of the reasons discussed just above, I assumed Highlander was discontinued.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:23 am

FMOTT often finds itself in my annual responses to the Island-Five threads. It's a solid tobacco and definitely my favorite of the Froggy blends.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton