Are People Smoking More Aromatics Lately?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Are People Smoking More Aromatics Lately?

Post by A_Morley » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:28 am

Or, if you will, are more aromatics being smoked?

I've noticed quite a bit of talk around as of late about variously aromatic, oh so goopy, PG laden, tutti frutti fantastic cavendish aromatics. Everybody is falling in love wit BLWB all over again or asking about the best over all cherry blend. Hell, I'm smoking something with the word "custard" in the name. This past month, I've smoked my way through tin after cake smelling tin of the dankest sticky shreds of pseudo-tobacco goodness that the me of twenty years ago would've laughed me out of town for even considering smoking.

Is it just me? What gives? What the hell gives?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Re: Are People Smoking More Aromatics Lately?

Post by JMG » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:28 am

It's just you, man. Temper yourself.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:19 am

If you're asking if I've noticed the custard, black and elegant, golden days of yore and vanilla cookies? Yes, I've noticed. None of it sounds good at the moment, even with coffee.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:21 am

Not me
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:33 am

I've noticed and I've even enjoyed a few bowls of them lately. A constant diet of aromatics has no appeal, but sometimes a goopy bowl of syrup hits the spot.

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:19 am
... golden days of yore...
I'm really enjoying this stuff. To me, it's aromatic qualities are pretty tame and there's a good bit of quality tobacco in the mix. It's been my go-to in the shop the last couple of weeks, pairing really well with sawdust and wood shavings.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 am

I don't get along with PG. Sticky tobacco does not get smoked in my pipe.

But recently I am enjoying some moderately scented Lake District tobacco by GH&C, from a mysterious unlabeled jar.

I also enjoy some Mac Baren virginia/aros, such as the slightly vanilla Dark Twist. Haven't had that in a long time.... now I want to bring some up from the cellar.

Wintertime is a good season for aromatics, as Mrs. Del allows us to smoke indoors as long as we don't stink up the house.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:10 am

Holy shiz, I agree with Del. I like flavored baccy, not gooey baccy. I can tolerate a moderate amount of stick, hence the BLWB, but not 1q.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:52 am

I still generally describe myself as a non-aromatic pipe tobacco smoker.
I encounter a lot of less experienced smokers and new pipe smokers at the shop at Milans. They ask a lot of questions about tobacco as they see me smoke. My general teacher-speak is to describe aromatics generally analogous to desserts. I describe burley tobaccos as the bread, rice and potatoes; I am not articulate enough to then apply other comparisons to the Virginias, English and condiment tobaccos, but they generally get the idea.

As an amateur foodie, adopting this approach has led me to be more curious about trying different tobaccos. Like trying an exotic food, or even tasting again a food i generally dislike, I try to taste, if nothing else, to appreciate what it is that others are tasting and liking. Sometimes, I determine that I might could take the particular flavor in the food or tobacco in a different proportion than usually presented and learn to like it (War Horse Green). There are tobaccos now that I do not prefer, but I recognize as well done for what they are (Lakeland scented Virginias). The approach also reveals some tobaccos that seem to fail at what they are trying to do.

Trout Stream is, currently, my favorite aromatic. It is a blast of a sweet combination of flavors. Even I find, however, that it can be too much of a good thing (dessert analogy again).

A slight digression, but recently I have started using the smallest old tins as pocket tobacco pouches. I generally have two or three of these half loaded on my tobacco shelf with Bullseye Flake, Luxury Navy Flake, 2015, or whatever I pull from my small cellar of half pint jars. This led to my sometimes, placing two different tobaccos, usually flakes, into the same tin. You might expect that this, in turn, led to my blending, a la Rusty, some tobaccos on a pipe by pipe basis. The next occurrence, came only partly by accident, when I carried some Trout Stream in a tin with some LNF. I was initially concerned that the Trout Stream would taint the flavor of the LNF; in almost the same thought, though, I decided to carry a tin with that combination for a while for that exact purpose. I now have a few flakes of LNF that smoke with a pleasant light flavoring of their aromatic bedmates.

So, if you like an aromatic sometimes, then "quit being a nancy and smoke an aromatic sometimes!" If you are on the fence like me, try a bowl of a sugar sweet fruity aromatic mixed with something like PA, like I am currently having (jelly on toast? or flavored coffee?).

To someone, "it's all good."
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:45 am

I have been playing with aro blend mixing. I have been sampling as I go.

Then 3 weeks into it, I missed Dunhill RR and have been smoking it exclusively for last few days in an attempt to bring order back to the galaxy.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:51 am

I don't smoke goopers but I do enjoy topped tobaccos like Briarworks Back Down South a lot. I probably smoke a topped tobacco 50% of the time.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:46 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:33 am
I've noticed and I've even enjoyed a few bowls of them lately. A constant diet of aromatics has no appeal, but sometimes a goopy bowl of syrup hits the spot.

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:19 am
... golden days of yore...
I'm really enjoying this stuff. To me, it's aromatic qualities are pretty tame and there's a good bit of quality tobacco in the mix. It's been my go-to in the shop the last couple of weeks, pairing really well with sawdust and wood shavings.
Agreed (and thanks, Jim).

But then, I never stopped enjoying several aromatics. I smoke two quite regularly at work (Trout Stream and Pipers Pleasure); mostly, because they allow me to smoke when in the company of non-smokers without putting them off. Others comment positively on the aroma, and I enjoy smoking them.

I’ll even confess to enjoying a bowl of 50:50 BCA and 1Q when I want a double dose of Vanilla. That, plus my wife particularly likes the aroma of that combination. Win win.

Alone with a bowl, I generally smoke Virginia flakes, but my taste in tobacco is rather eclectic.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 pm

I was a never aromatic smoker for quite a while, but I have been coming back around to them occasionally as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:54 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 pm
I was a never aromatic smoker for quite a while, but I have been coming back around to them occasionally as of late.

Good to hear. Only latakia is devil's weed.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:48 pm

I am mostly a Balkan and Navy blend guy but I have been smoking some topped blends lately too. Angler's Dream, Trout Stream, and Fusilier's Ration. It's FredS and Durangopipe's fault Fred got me started with Fusilier's Ration and DP got me started on Trout Stream so...

But after 3 or 4 pipes with a topped blend, I find myself craving a good strong Balkan.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:03 pm

There's something about this new/old house that is causing the Missus to not enjoy my usual string of latakia-laced blends. So I made a conscious effort a few months ago to seek out some aro's that would be more enjoyable. Nothing as glorious as my beloved Blue Diamond, but Russ is working on that for me.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Bloodhound wrote:I am mostly a Balkan and Navy blend guy but I have been smoking some topped blends lately too. Angler's Dream, Trout Stream, and Fusilier's Ration. It's FredS and Durangopipe's fault Fred got me started with Fusilier's Ration and DP got me started on Trout Stream so...

But after 3 or 4 pipes with a topped blend, I find myself craving a good strong Balkan.
I feel much the same about it

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:41 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:54 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

8O

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:48 pm

To address the original question, yes, it seems to me that more people are smoking aromatics. Many of these people seem to fall into one particular catagory of pipe smoker, and that's the new pipe smoker. I base this on my experiences with the two Facebook pipe groups of which I am a member. Aromatic blends seem to receive the most attention by far.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:03 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:41 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:54 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

8O
Unless of course, Msgr Ronald Knox baptized said Devil's weed.
Then it belongs to God.
I'm pretty sure he did that to Balkan blends

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:07 am

I often load one pipe with an aromatic and another with a non-aromatic. When one goes out, I light the other.