Are People Smoking More Aromatics Lately?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Are People Smoking More Aromatics Lately?

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:15 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:03 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:41 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:54 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 pm
I was a never aromatic smoker for quite a while, but I have been coming back around to them occasionally as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear. Only latakia is devil's weed.
8O
Unless of course, Msgr Ronald Knox baptized said Devil's weed.
Then it belongs to God.
I'm pretty sure he did that to Balkan blends
Knox was a yutz. Be careful about holding him up as an exemplar.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:16 am

I primarily smoke aromatics in the winter time mostly because I primarily smoke on my commute to and from work. I work in healthcare so how I smell to co-workers and patients matters. Aromatics tend to be less offensive.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:15 am
Hovannes wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
I was a never aromatic smoker for quite a while, but I have been coming back around to them occasionally as of late.

8O
Then it belongs to God.
There were worse. He was Anglo-Catholic first so he learned how to do things in decent order before he joined with you lot. I swear, I used to fantasize about having him as a priest. Instead, I was stuck with potato shaped mid-westerners who wore crocks and sweatpants with their clerical shirts and expected me to look up to them and take them seriously. I swear, I've seen a priest not bother to put on real pants and shoes to say mass. Ronald Knox wouldn't have let that happen.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:28 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

8O
Then it belongs to God.
There were worse. He was Anglo-Catholic first so he learned how to do things in decent order before he joined with you lot. I swear, I used to fantasize about having him as a priest. Instead, I was stuck with potato shaped mid-westerners who wore crocks and sweatpants with their clerical shirts and expected me to look up to them and take them seriously. I swear, I've seen a priest not bother to put on real pants and shoes to say mass. Ronald Knox wouldn't have let that happen.
No, he wouldn't. But his stance on Catholic dogma was essentially a British establishment stance. And we all know what fine Catholics they are as a rule

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:12 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:28 pm
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

8O
Then it belongs to God.
No, he wouldn't. But his stance on Catholic dogma was essentially a British establishment stance. And we all know what fine Catholics they are as a rule
I plainly don't know what a good Catholic is. Some of my least favorite people were so often described as "good Catholics," just like Father Sweatpants I was telling you about. He was beloved of everybody. A good Catholic and a real man of the people is how he was always described. Understood everyday people's concerns and always loved a good football game. The only people who didn't cotton to him were myself and the new bishop who eventually forced him into retirement on account of the fact that the bishop had heard one too many rumors about liberties taken with female parishioners. I cackled madly when the news was told in the parish hall and my then wife had to stop me from going and mocking him. Not for nothing that people there still call me "that pretentious protestant asshole."
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:14 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:12 pm
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

8O
Then it belongs to God.
I plainly don't know what a good Catholic is. Some of my least favorite people were so often described as "good Catholics," just like Father Sweatpants I was telling you about. He was beloved of everybody. A good Catholic and a real man of the people is how he was always described. Understood everyday people's concerns and always loved a good football game. The only people who didn't cotton to him were myself and the new bishop who eventually forced him into retirement on account of the fact that the bishop had heard one too many rumors about liberties taken with female parishioners. I cackled madly when the news was told in the parish hall and my then wife had to stop me from going and mocking him. Not for nothing that people there still call me "that pretentious protestant asshole."
They said the same about Santo Pio. I cast no aspersion, Sir, please remember, but one of the problems inherent in the learned is a mockery of the simple. I do that at my peril.

My definition of a good catholic is the same as my definition of a gentleman: not obsequious to his superiors, Frank and open to his equals, and treats his inferiors in a way that they don't detect condescension.

It's why I'm neither a good Catholic nor a true gentleman, blood be damned.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Aromatics are abominable. That is all.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:14 pm
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

8O
Then it belongs to God.
They said the same about Santo Pio. I cast no aspersion, Sir, please remember, but one of the problems inherent in the learned is a mockery of the simple. I do that at my peril.

My definition of a good catholic is the same as my definition of a gentleman: not obsequious to his superiors, Frank and open to his equals, and treats his inferiors in a way that they don't detect condescension.

I'm all too aware, don't worry. My concern with this priest wasn't that he was simple, but because he was loud, ill-spoken, crass, and avowedly anti-intellectual. It was also his job to speak in public yet he was very, very bad at it. In spite of his own high opinion of his working class, Chicago, Catholic outlook on life, he admitted that talking in front of groups of people made him nervous and so he often kept his eyes closed while doing so.

While I'm only too happy to continue my tired old litany of grievances against the American working class, I don't think that I can any longer endure the gross irony of my having hijacked my own tobacco thread.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:29 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:14 pm
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

8O
Then it belongs to God.

I'm all too aware, don't worry. My concern with this priest wasn't that he was simple, but because he was loud, ill-spoken, crass, and avowedly anti-intellectual. It was also his job to speak in public yet he was very, very bad at it. In spite of his own high opinion of his working class, Chicago, Catholic outlook on life, he admitted that talking in front of groups of people made him nervous and so he often kept his eyes closed while doing so.

While I'm only too happy to continue my tired old litany of grievances against the American working class, I don't think that I can any longer endure the gross irony of my having hijacked my own tobacco thread.
Don't be ashamed. Every one of us can inadvertent draft a significant vacuum on occasion.

Buon Natale, cuccio mio.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:23 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:29 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Don't be ashamed. Every one of us can inadvertent draft a significant vacuum on occasion.

Buon Natale, cuccio mio.
+1... the most banal of responses, with ellipses

I'm going to smoke some of my unlabeled GH&C blend, while I prep a beef brisket for a good smoking tomorrow.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:54 am

I plan to smoke the heck out of something pleasant smelling around my grandchildren the next few days, probably Boswell Piper’s Pleasure.

One day, I’m hoping chocolate aromas will bring back warm memories of me.

I’m going to share some with my son, hoping he’ll like it (it is quite lovely as aromatics go) and when they are far away and he puffs his pipe we’ll remain connected.

Gotta run. It’s nearly 1:00 AM, and I think I hear reindeer on the roof . . .
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 pm

I smoke aromatics almost exclusively. And VA's. But mostly aero's.

I don't care how anyone else feels about that.

My SS sent a bagged Latakia blend. I left it on the kitchen table while Mrs FredS was doing some paper work there. When I came back through she asked if I'd spilled gasoline, because she smelled gas. I held out the bag of tobacco for her sniff test and she said "OMG!!!! What is that?!?!"

She's not a fan.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 pm

My SS sent a bagged Latakia blend. I left it on the kitchen table while Mrs FredS was doing some paper work there. When I came back through she asked if I'd spilled gasoline, because she smelled gas. I held out the bag of tobacco for her sniff test and she said "OMG!!!! What is that?!?!"

She's not a fan.
Sounds like a blend for the river or the shop
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:51 pm

FredS wrote:

She's not a fan.
What are the aromatics you've found you like the best?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:41 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:51 pm
FredS wrote:

She's not a fan.
My favorites of what I'd consider American styles are: Scotty's Butternut Burley. Trout Stream. Captain Black White & now Copper. Autumn Evening. I suppose most of those are versions of 1Q with one topping or another amplified slightly, so yes, 1Q makes my list. And I've always considered Prince Albert as an aero. The internet doesn't confirm my feeling on this, but it's a favorite too.

I also like many of the Lakeland (or Lakes District) styles: Bob's Chocolate Flake. Coconut Twist. Ennerdale Flake.

EDIT: Even though I wrote earlier that I don't care how anyone else feels about what I smoke, I do enjoy being able to smoke on the street without having strangers remind me that the sidewalk or the park is a tobacco free zone. That hardly ever happens when I smoke something that smells pleasant to non smokers and it almost always happens when I'm smoking something less pleasant.
Last edited by FredS on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Sanchez
Salted Nutmeats of Upper Cornholeshire
Salted Nutmeats of Upper Cornholeshire

Post by Sanchez » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:41 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:51 pm
FredS wrote:

She's not a fan.
My favorites of what I'd consider American styles are: Scotty's Butternut Burley. Trout Stream. Captain Black White & now Copper. Autumn Evening. And I've always considered Prince Albert as an aero. The internet doesn't confirm my feeling on this, but it's a favorite too.

I also like many of the Lakeland (or Lakes District) styles: Bob's Chocolate Flake. Coconut Twist. Ennerdale Flake.

EDIT: Even though I wrote that I don't care how anyone else feels about what I smoke, I do enjoy being able to smoke on the street without having strangers remind me that the sidewalk or the park is a tobacco free area. That hardly ever happens when I smoke something that smells pleasant to non smokers and it almost always happens when I'm smoking something less pleasant.
Have you had GH&COs Rich Dark Honeydew? I was gifted a fair amount of it for the yuletide season. Though I have every reason to believe that I'll like it, it'd be nice to know what to expect before I crack into it.
For I am a poor and a wretched boy:
A chimbley, chimbley sweep.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Sanchez wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 pm
Have you had GH&COs Rich Dark Honeydew? I was gifted a fair amount of it for the yuletide season. Though I have every reason to believe that I'll like it, it'd be nice to know what to expect before I crack into it.
I have not, but I'll let you sleep on my floor if you bring some over. Bring a bottle of Scotch too. I'm out.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:57 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:55 pm
Sanchez wrote:
I have not, but I'll let you sleep on my floor if you bring some over. Bring a bottle of Scotch too. I'm out.
Dammit. You got to the post before I could log back in, delete it, and post as myself.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:15 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:57 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:55 pm
Sanchez wrote:
Dammit. You got to the post before I could log back in, delete it, and post as myself.
You're welcome to sleep on my floor too. That's probably a dangerous invitation to put out to an actor, but I bet you'd be fun for a day or two. Don't forget that Scotch.

Auroraboy
Usher
Usher

Post by Auroraboy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:58 pm

I go back to aromatics once in awhile-- currently I have Captain Black Dark, and Captain Black Cherry. Both good, and both of which I'll sometimes mix 50/50 with Prince Albert for more flavor and a better burn.