JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 pm
coco wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm
Smoking Pipes still had McCl No. 2015 bulk Virginia Perique Flake in stock so I ordered another pound. Recently bought 2 pounds but with this shortage scare I figured better to have extra, as I smoke it fairly regularly.
Get as much as you can, I say. I've been buying smaller amounts of the stuff from all the local shops.
Full-bore, sell-your-shirt, apocalyptic hoarding is advisable.
The main idea in hoarding is not getting, but keeping others from getting, right?

Rationing Schmationing
:D. I think the difference comes in those right bastiges that profiteer. I wouldn't mind a buckshee couple of pounds of McClelland Va for personal use right about now.

* SAT word

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: McClelland Crop Problems

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:22 am

coco wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 pm
We are contacting you regarding your order for McClelland pipe tobacco. The manufacturer has reported that a recent crop needed for a number of their blends was not up to their standards. Until they have a new crop that meets their expectations and prepare it, they will not be producing or taking orders for the affected blends.

As such, backorders for the following McClelland products cannot be filled, and any that have stock left will not be replenished in the foreseeable future:

East Carolina Ribbon
Club Old Dog
Blakeney’s Bayou Slice
Tudor Castle
Avenue AM
Avenue McRaspberry
Avenue Blend Nutty Hazel
Avenue Blend TG-3
No. 5100 Red Cake
No. 5110 Dark English
M27 Three Cherries
M55 Georgian Cream
M58 Apricot Brandy
M95 Dark Cherry Cordial
No. 2015 Virginia Flake
No. 2030 No. 1 Grade Balkan
No. 2035 Dark Navy Flake
No. 400 Crème Caramel
Three Oaks Original
Legends
Mellow Mack
Cigar Blends Dominican Glory
Balkan Beauty
Grand Orientals – Yenice Agonya
St. James Woods

Since we do not charge until product is shipping out to you, there is nothing to refund, and you would have only seen the initial authorization when the order was placed.

We apologize for any inconvenience. We would also love to see these blends come in again, but, until more is being made, our hands are tied. Until then, there are still many other great McClelland blends in stock right now to choose from.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Product Support ● Pipes and Cigars
Coco, I note that McCl Aurora is not on that list. It is comprised of mostly red Virginias

As of this morning, 4Noggins still has McClelland Aurora in stock but P&Cs and Smoking Pipes are both out of stock. Description: "The full spectrum of Matured Virginia flavor is presented here in this rich, naturally sweet blend of mellow red Virginias and rich, deeply aromatic Black Stoved lemon Virginias."
Last edited by Goose55 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 am

I see today, that Smoking Pipes still has bulk McClelland: 2015 Virginia-Perique Flake still in stock. Considering all the dire talk, I am surprised at this.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:53 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 am
I see today, that Smoking Pipes still has bulk McClelland: 2015 Virginia-Perique Flake still in stock. Considering all the dire talk, I am surprised at this.
They're out of 5110, though. And I only have a few crumbs left in my stash, after smoking it this weekend while in south Texas on a quail hunt.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:54 am

My local just got a massive shipment in. He says there's a ton still out there and not to worry, that there's a ton of red Virginia out there and that McClelland just was afraid of the Deeming Regs so waited too late to produce and will be back.

Not presenting as gospel, but it would explain some things.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:25 pm

As I have read in P&T through the years, one interesting learning was that most manufacturers keep several YEARS worth of tobacco on hand in various types because from crop year to crop year there are variations in the crops. One of the greatest challenges with blends is keeping the taste, flavor and smoking properties of a given blend consistent year after year. They often vary the tobacco and/or proportions to maintain the consistent expectation for a given blend. This makes me question this outage. Is this allegedly just a bad year or is this a longer term problem that has exhausted a long term store of tobaccoss? If the latter is true, it would seem that it could take years for the problem to self correct. Perhaps the reason other manufacturers aren't making the same claim is as simple as their having a larger back inventory. Also we should watch to see if there is an increase in "blend of the year" type tobaccos as these would be able to be made without the expectation of consistency with the tin from a year or two ago. No science, but just anecdotally, it does seem there is a large and growing number of special edition type blends over the last couple of years. I thought this was because of the impending regulations on new tobacco products but perhaps this played some part in it as well?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm

MrPiper wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:25 pm
As I have read in P&T through the years, one interesting learning was that most manufacturers keep several YEARS worth of tobacco on hand in various types because from crop year to crop year there are variations in the crops. One of the greatest challenges with blends is keeping the taste, flavor and smoking properties of a given blend consistent year after year. They often vary the tobacco and/or proportions to maintain the consistent expectation for a given blend. This makes me question this outage. Is this allegedly just a bad year or is this a longer term problem that has exhausted a long term store of tobaccoss? If the latter is true, it would seem that it could take years for the problem to self correct. Perhaps the reason other manufacturers aren't making the same claim is as simple as their having a larger back inventory. Also we should watch to see if there is an increase in "blend of the year" type tobaccos as these would be able to be made without the expectation of consistency with the tin from a year or two ago. No science, but just anecdotally, it does seem there is a large and growing number of special edition type blends over the last couple of years. I thought this was because of the impending regulations on new tobacco products but perhaps this played some part in it as well?
X?

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm

YYYYY

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:00 pm

MrPiper wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm
YYYYY
I really missed you, sir?

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:00 pm
MrPiper wrote:
YYYYY
Same here Drax.

My wife says my "Y" chromosome has been overloaded as I have not smoked a pipe in over 2 years as we discussed today. As a result of having all that extra money not spent on Pipes and Tobacco, I have paid off the house, bought a car, paid off the RV, paid for TinyPiper's college and developed a shoe fetish that rivals Imelda Marcos. Come to think of it, Mrs.Piper MAY have been right that I spent too much money on pipes and tobacco. Never seemed so at the time.

I miss my pipes. I rarely sit at my desk without a pipe in my mouth but I haven't smoked since my diagnosis two years and four months ago. The pipe had, and has, nothing to do with my illness, but somehow I just can't go there. I miss it though. Sorely. I smoked a pipe regularly for almost 30 years. It's like losing an old friend.

Another contributing factor is work. Now, to smoke is an additional $60/month for insurance, and as much as I did really enjoy my pipe, the thought of giving my employer an extra $720/year just to enjoy my pipe is so offensive it deters me.

In other news, I am 11 months and 2 weeks from being able to find another job and still take my full, unreduced pension with me when I leave. At that point I may well look for a comparable job, cash out my pension, and light up my pipe. I already know which pipe and which tobacco should that occur. Lord willing!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:53 pm

MrPiper wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm
hugodrax wrote:
MrPiper wrote:
YYYYY
Same here Drax.

My wife says my "Y" chromosome has been overloaded as I have not smoked a pipe in over 2 years as we discussed today. As a result of having all that extra money not spent on Pipes and Tobacco, I have paid off the house, bought a car, paid off the RV, paid for TinyPiper's college and developed a shoe fetish that rivals Imelda Marcos. Come to think of it, Mrs.Piper MAY have been right that I spent too much money on pipes and tobacco. Never seemed so at the time.

I miss my pipes. I rarely sit at my desk without a pipe in my mouth but I haven't smoked since my diagnosis two years and four months ago. The pipe had, and has, nothing to do with my illness, but somehow I just can't go there. I miss it though. Sorely. I smoked a pipe regularly for almost 30 years. It's like losing an old friend.

Another contributing factor is work. Now, to smoke is an additional $60/month for insurance, and as much as I did really enjoy my pipe, the thought of giving my employer an extra $720/year just to enjoy my pipe is so offensive it deters me.

In other news, I am 11 months and 2 weeks from being able to find another job and still take my full, unreduced pension with me when I leave. At that point I may well look for a comparable job, cash out my pension, and light up my pipe. I already know which pipe and which tobacco should that occur. Lord willing!
Let me know when that happens. Maybe I can stop by.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:23 pm

MrPiper wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
MrPiper wrote:
YYYYY
Same here Drax.

I hope you can get back to enjoying your pipes and tobacco soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:54 pm

calvinistanglican wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:23 pm
MrPiper wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
MrPiper wrote:
YYYYY
Same here Drax.

I hope you can get back to enjoying your pipes and tobacco soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Easy now, let's just enjoy his being here again for now. Hey there, Mr, P.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:15 am

I just did a search of all of the online vendors. Every last one of them reports that 5100 is "out of stock."

While this is troublesome, it could be due to a run on the product by all of us panicked virginia lovers.

This demand will not be ignored. The farmers will grow more tobacco. And McClelland will apply their skills and provide us with fine red virginia for our pipes once again.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:27 am

It's time to branch out, friends.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 pm

Another take on the topic of crop year variations from Rusty:

by Rusty » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:33 pm
Incidentally, we rarely get to smoke pure single crop leaf. It's usually a blend of leaf that is used in Va's and other mixtures. Manufacturers blend a number of Va's (different colours and different crops) mixed to make a more complex and harmonious tasting mixture. And with commercial mixtures they have to do this year after year and make it taste approx the same despite Mother-natures little variations.

I am often astounded by how many different tobaccos are used in commercial blends. Mac Baren talks about 40, 50, & 60 different tobaccos! I have trouble avoiding 'mud' with 4 or 5!

But we do get to taste a single crop, that can apparently be pin-pointed down to the field, with McClelland's annual Christmas Cheer.

Pipe smokers sometimes say that Xmas Cheer tastes about the same from year-to-year. It lacks the complexity of Va blends but it's not the same year-to-year. The differences, year over year, are just subtle rather than absent. It's a fantastic treat to A-B compare different years and it's the best of the small batch Va's that McClelland sees.

Great Black Virginia's are harder to find alone. There's #5105 but it's better for blending than smoking alone. There's also Rattray's Black Virginia - so cooked that it sounds like a tin of pebbles when you shake it. It's very delicate tasting so it's only for those that want their taster's sensitivity challenged. For a truly wonderful rich tasting black Va try Esoterica Kingsbridge. I smoke it alone, I blend with it, I sometimes feel a disturbing compulsion to either roll in it or eat it. Delicious! Butera liked it enough to make two more like it in the series - Blackpool (Kingsbridge topped with a bit of licorice), and, Ramsgate (?) (Kingsbridge topped more heavily). But it's Kingsbridge that is the often unnoticed king of the bunch. Long live the King!

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Tobcco Reviews.com notes that McClelland - No. 5100 Red Cake is "No longer in production." I don't know if T.R.com is like Wikipedia, where everyone and anyone can go in and edit the site, or not......

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/738 ... 0-red-cake

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:34 pm

How big of a problem is this really for smokers, (not for the farmers, McClelland workers, etc.). Tobaccocellar.com shows that, of the top 20 cellared blends in their ten tons of tobacco listed, only one is a McClelland product (5100) and it's low on the list at 159 pounds total. I know it's anecdotal, but it doesn't seem to support the frenzy.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:51 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:34 pm
How big of a problem is this really for smokers, (not for the farmers, McClelland workers, etc.). Tobaccocellar.com shows that, of the top 20 cellared blends in their ten tons of tobacco listed, only one is a McClelland product (5100) and it's low on the list at 159 pounds total. I know it's anecdotal, but it doesn't seem to support the frenzy.
It's sheer bloody marketing to total bloody idiots. Guys that smoke three bowls a week with 100 lbs cellared.

Goose is the perfect example of how a human being should react. He's a complete McClelland fan--knows what he likes and judiciously added where he thought it would do no harm. He didn't go buy 45 lbs of 5100.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:47 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:51 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:34 pm
It's sheer bloody marketing to total bloody idiots. Guys that smoke three bowls a week with 100 lbs cellared.

Goose is the perfect example of how a human being should react. He's a complete McClelland fan--knows what he likes and judiciously added where he thought it would do no harm. He didn't go buy 45 lbs of 5100.
5100 is good, and I have some jars aging, but I don't smoke it that often. Their tinned straight Virginia blend Aurora is in the same genre, but much better.