"Speakeasy" by Cornell & Deihl (First review ever on CPS)

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

"Speakeasy" by Cornell & Deihl (First review ever on CPS)

Post by StoicDetective » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:00 am

I am still in the process of educating myself on the various types of tobaccos, their smell, and taste. As I become more educated about the more detailed nuances of the tobaccos I start trying to throw those factors into the reviews as well. This/these reviews will probably be more on the technical side of things and and what I liked about the tobacco. Mostly, I'm gonna stick with simple to the point.

http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/tobacco- ... ?id=212561

Date/Time:
01/18/2018, approx 10:45am CST
Gear:
Dr. Grabow Grand Duke (I know, I know, ... I am cheap)
Yello Bole czech tool
1x generic no name paper match

Initial Opening:
I got a solid whiff of a sweet malty note right off (Not candy/sugar style sweet). Under the malty note is a solid 'spice'.

Texture/View:
Navy flake, 1 1/2" to 2"L x 1/2"W x 1/16"H. A tight marbled dark brown look to the blend. Which does not fall apart easily. The tobacco packed easy enough into the pipe. Packed a lot better than most of my experiences with ribbon cut tobacco.

Lighting
It took almost the whole length of the match to get the tobacco going. (Might be due to my packing preference and the moist navy flake)

Taste & Smoke:
I really enjoyed the sweet smokey taste and the smoke complimented the taste. This one is a slow and long smoker, if ya rush it, it scorch. If ya rush it the spice notes that I mentioned above will start to show in the taste.

Odds:
I don't know where C&D got the idea to compare this blend to a Louisiana Speakeasy. But, it seems to work.
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." -- S. Spade

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Re: "Speakeasy" by Cornell & Deihl (First review ever on CPS)

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am

For a newbie attempting a review, that's pretty good. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am
For a newbie attempting a review, that's pretty good. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
Good review. I love a tobacco review thread. I'd have never known this tobacco existed.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 am

So then, why didn't you post this into the tobacco reviews thread?

8)
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 am

I have not ventured much into marketed tobaccos. Almost all of my experiences with pipe tobacco came from local shops over the last 10+ Year's. But, my favorite shop went out of business and thus my favorite blend is now gone. I am holding on to roughly 5oz.

So, now I am hunting for marketed blends that I might enjoy and honestly it is whole nother world of pipe tobacco out side of a local shop.

Sent via telegraph

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by chance ever observes." -- S. Holmes

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re:

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:56 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 am
I have not ventured much into marketed tobaccos. Almost all of my experiences with pipe tobacco came from local shops over the last 10+ Year's. But, my favorite shop went out of business and thus my favorite blend is now gone. I am holding on to roughly 5oz.

So, now I am hunting for marketed blends that I might enjoy and honestly it is whole nother world of pipe tobacco out side of a local shop.

Sent via telegraph
It's very possible that you can still get your old favorite. Many (most) tobacco shops re-brand bulk tobacco from Lane or some such large company when selling their "own" blends. With a little digging, you might still be able to find it. What was the tobacco shop?
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Also, it's a sad day when you're pleasantly surprised to find a tobacco review on the board...
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm
Also, it's a sad day when you're pleasantly surprised to find a tobacco review on the board...
Then write one, Gabriel! The problem with this place is people say things like that, but never doing it. Not in any way a dig at you or anybody else, but pipes and tobacco threads die on the vine around here.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:15 pm

C&D says "Navy Blend" which I would think is Virginia or Virginia with Perique. TR says Kentucky, Virginia and Perique.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StoicDetective » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:C&D says "Navy Blend" which I would think is Virginia or Virginia with Perique. TR says Kentucky, Virginia and Perique.
Hmmm, ... correct me if I am wrong with this: the 'spice' most likely comes from the perique?

Re-opening the can, there is a very noticeable classic 'tobacco' smell between the malty sweet and the spice. This would be the Virginia?

Sent via telegraph

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re:

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:20 pm

StoicDetective wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:C&D says "Navy Blend" which I would think is Virginia or Virginia with Perique. TR says Kentucky, Virginia and Perique.
Hmmm, ... correct me if I am wrong with this: the 'spice' most likely comes from the perique?

Re-opening the can, there is a very noticeable classic 'tobacco' smell between the malty sweet and the spice. This would be the Virginia?

Sent via telegraph
No rum?

StoicDetective
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Re:

Post by StoicDetective » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:45 pm

hugodrax wrote:
StoicDetective wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Sent via telegraph
No rum?
Further thoughts: this blend does kinda remind me of MacBarens Plumcake.

Sent via telegraph

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:56 pm

The Library has 6 references to the word "Navy" and only one of those is pertinent. It is Rusty quoting from a source about the definition of the cut referred to as Navy Cut.

I am off to the CPS search engine. I will hopefully find something to start a new tobacco thread, or resurrect one on point.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:56 pm
The Library has 6 references to the word "Navy" and only one of those is pertinent. It is Rusty quoting from a source about the definition of the cut referred to as Navy Cut.

I am off to the CPS search engine. I will hopefully find something to start a new tobacco thread, or resurrect one on point.
We spent some time discussing this a while back. The term “navy” seems to have a variety of definitions when referring to tobacco. I don’t remember a consensus forming.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:42 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:19 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm
Then write one, Gabriel! The problem with this place is people say things like that, but never doing it. Not in any way a dig at you or anybody else, but pipes and tobacco threads die on the vine around here.
You’re right, of course. Folks that have been around a long time feel it’s been discussed enough that they’re repeating themselves. Not necessarily true, but it can feel that way. Other folks have often been tentative with opinions for fear of being told they’re wrong. Probably time to change all that.
Sola Deo Gloria