JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
CupOjoe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Buckleberry, SE Shire
Contact:

JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by CupOjoe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Alright folks, just came from the justforhim site planning to picking up my old favorites, Shortcut to Mushrooms and Ruins of Isengard only to find they aren’t there. Not out of stock, they are not on the site? Anybody else seeing this? Would be a major loss to lose these.


Psalms 67:6
The earth has yielded its increase;
God, our God, shall bless us.

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:44 pm

Uncle Bob, if they have discontinued them can you give us the recipes?
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9325
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Blame the Russians. No kidding.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16309
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 pm

Not like this, boys. Remember legality.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by Winton » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 pm
Not like this, boys. Remember legality.
Leave it to an attorney to spoil our fun.

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16309
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 am

Winton wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:27 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 pm
Not like this, boys. Remember legality.
Leave it to an attorney to spoil our fun.
Or I could have given you a Nudge in the direction most likely to achieve your goals. Your choice.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7518
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Did you send an email to JFH...in my experience they are quick to respond...there may be a quick answer.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
CupOjoe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Buckleberry, SE Shire
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by CupOjoe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 pm

I haven't emailed them yet, I'll try to reach out later. I wonder if this is a result of the FDA regulations, therefor all their custom blends might be going away. With that being said. Anyone had or Rx any of the others? Five Solas, perhaps? I was looking a that series and considered channeling Luther while enjoying a bowl and reading a systematic theology.

User avatar
CupOjoe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Buckleberry, SE Shire
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by CupOjoe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm

So here's what I found out. They're gone because their distributor, McClelland, can no longer get the base tobaccos used in the blends. If they ever can get the base tobaccos again, she said their plan is to bring them back. They are in the process of trying to find another source for the missing/needed tobacco.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5770
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 pm

CupOjoe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm
So here's what I found out. They're gone because their distributor, McClelland, can no longer get the base tobaccos used in the blends. If they ever can get the base tobaccos again, she said their plan is to bring them back. They are in the process of trying to find another source for the missing/needed tobacco.
Panic.
Panic.
Panic.

Buy.
Buy.
Buy.

AAAAAOOOOOOOGAAA

See here, CupOjoe: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43990&hilit=McClelland+5100
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14498
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by Cleon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 pm
CupOjoe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm
So here's what I found out. They're gone because their distributor, McClelland, can no longer get the base tobaccos used in the blends. If they ever can get the base tobaccos again, she said their plan is to bring them back. They are in the process of trying to find another source for the missing/needed tobacco.
Panic.
Panic.
Panic.

Buy.
Buy.
Buy.

AAAAAOOOOOOOGAAA

See here, CupOjoe: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43990&hilit=McClelland+5100
It's really unfortunate because I bet this is going to happen to a lot of shop blends.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5770
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:48 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:22 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 pm
CupOjoe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm
So here's what I found out. They're gone because their distributor, McClelland, can no longer get the base tobaccos used in the blends. If they ever can get the base tobaccos again, she said their plan is to bring them back. They are in the process of trying to find another source for the missing/needed tobacco.
Panic.
Panic.
Panic.

Buy.
Buy.
Buy.

AAAAAOOOOOOOGAAA

See here, CupOjoe: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43990&hilit=McClelland+5100
It's really unfortunate because I bet this is going to happen to a lot of shop blends.
All kidding aside, I fear you’re right.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9325
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:48 pm
Cleon wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:22 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 pm
CupOjoe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm
So here's what I found out. They're gone because their distributor, McClelland, can no longer get the base tobaccos used in the blends. If they ever can get the base tobaccos again, she said their plan is to bring them back. They are in the process of trying to find another source for the missing/needed tobacco.
Panic.
Panic.
Panic.

Buy.
Buy.
Buy.

AAAAAOOOOOOOGAAA

See here, CupOjoe: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43990&hilit=McClelland+5100
It's really unfortunate because I bet this is going to happen to a lot of shop blends.
All kidding aside, I fear you’re right.
Yep, I think so too. In fact I ordered 5 tins today of a private blend thats one of my favorites. I was just thinking of ordering STM also, but apparently I waited too late.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16309
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 pm

The only thing I'll say is to avoid chasing the unobtainable. In twenty years of pipe smoking, I've seen my favorites disappear several times. Each time it happens, it leaves memories and a certain amount of regret, but it never means there aren't perfectly grand tobaccos out there to be smoked.

My advice is to keep moving and not to attach too much importance to an individual loss.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9325
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:13 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 pm
The only thing I'll say is to avoid chasing the unobtainable. In twenty years of pipe smoking, I've seen my favorites disappear several times. Each time it happens, it leaves memories and a certain amount of regret, but it never means there aren't perfectly grand tobaccos out there to be smoked.

My advice is to keep moving and not to attach too much importance to an individual loss.
Good advice to be sure. I'm not hoarding anything, but if I see a particular favorite, as in this case, disappearing, then I like to obtain enough to enjoy until it's gone. Then as you say, move on.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Pipeweed
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:09 am
Location: Michigan

Re: JFH Middle Earth MIA???

Post by Pipeweed » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:18 am

They are now selling the Middle Earth series again, except for Ruins to Isengard (I'll have to hoard the last 4 ounces I have left). But, the big news is that Shortcut to Mushrooms is back. The McClelland fallout forced them to secure a new source for the Virginia leaf, which forced them back to the blending drawing board. It took them a while to find a new blend that was close to the original Shortcut to Mushrooms. I know several who compared the old/new, and all have said the new blend is the same, close, or even better. I haven't encountered someone yet who had complained. I need to wait a month or so before I can order any more tobacco, but I can't wait to stock up on this again. Good stuff.

Post Reply