Which date?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
rgcurrey
Usher
Usher

Which date?

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:12 pm

When you get a tin and consider aging it (I am not yet as I have no idea what I like) do you go from the date on the bottom of the tin or the date you received it. I realize if the tin has no date you have to go with the date you received it. I ask due to the fact that I have a tin of Marlin flake that I am going to pop to see if I like it, but, if I had bought it to store the tin it is dated around this time last year so I would count it as a year old correct?
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Which date?

Post by JimVH » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:31 pm

I've always gone by the tin date first, then purchase date in its absence.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

rgcurrey
Usher
Usher

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks, i thought so. Now on to figure out what i like.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:31 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:56 pm
Thanks, i thought so. Now on to figure out what i like.
Start with a little knowledge:

Virginia tobaccos age well. They have some natural sugars, which promote fermentation. I smoked some Mac Baren Norwood which was 40 years old in the tin (Pepik shared with us at Chicago Pipe Show). This was the smoke of a lifetime.... one to remember forever.

Note that fresh, bright virginias have a pleasant character of their own. I like to buy a large batch of bright or red virginias. I smoke some now and stash some in jars for aging. Aging does not have to be forever.... six months to a couple of years will bring out a lot of what we are looking for.

If you really like the taste of fresh virginias, then purchase in small batches and don't worry about aging.

Perique is already fermented. Treat virginia/perique blends just like virginias.

Codger burley doesn't change with age, but it lasts forever. I bought a tub of Sugar Barrel that was so old, the tobacconist in Lincoln, NE, said it was on the shelf when he bought the store a few decades prior. It was just like a new tub of Sugar Barrel that I bought in Madison, WI.

A family in Wisconsin found 88 tins of ancient Prince Albert tobacco hidden in the wall of their farmhouse.
http://archive.jsonline.com/news/wiscon ... 9013.html/

They sold the hoard to pipe smokers who wanted to taste how the burley had "improved."
http://archive.jsonline.com/news/wiscon ... 4295.html/

Aromatic tobaccos do not age well. The flavor toppings break down.

Latakia blends may benefit from some aging, a few years or so. But they reach their peak and then start to decline. As a rule to thumb, plan on smoking your precious latakia blends within 5 years or so.

In any case, a hoard of tobacco will be valuable when the zombie apocalypse falls upon us.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4