McClelland Replacements

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

McClelland Replacements

Post by JimVH » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 am

I didn't put any effort into chasing McClelland products after the news broke, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to miss any of their products. Does anyone have any reasonable comparisons with other blenders? I would love to find a replacement for Black Shag, the Blakeney's line, the Frog Morton Series, etc. I know many of you have sepecifics you will miss, also.

My question here is have any of you experienced other blender's products that compared to any specific McClelland blends? I know they can't truly be matched, especially in the tangy Va category, but there's bound to be some similar stuff out there for other blends.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: McClelland Replacements

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:42 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 am
I didn't put any effort into chasing McClelland products after the news broke, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to miss any of their products. Does anyone have any reasonable comparisons with other blenders? I would love to find a replacement for Black Shag, the Blakeney's line, the Frog Morton Series, etc. I know many of you have sepecifics you will miss, also.

My question here is have any of you experienced other blender's products that compared to any specific McClelland blends? I know they can't truly be matched, especially in the tangy Va category, but there's bound to be some similar stuff out there for other blends.
I'll be watching this one. I've found McCl VA Flakes to be rather unique in palette. But my VA-fu is not very strong.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 am

Good thread, Jim!

Our much missed Rusty introduced me to G.L Pease's Fog City Selection, Primarily Virginia Blends,... and I tried a couple of them and they were good. Kind of McClelland-ish.....

http://www.glpease.com/Tobacco/FogCity/
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:59 am

Squadron Leader strikes me as being kind of Frog-ish
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am

Squadron Leader? Not close, imo. I've never tried the fog city blends.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:43 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am
Squadron Leader? Not close, imo. I've never tried the fog city blends.
I think they’re both reminiscent in the sense that they’re exceptionally high quality leaf. But I’m coming up blank trying to figure out flavor similarities.

I still think somebody should experiment with a shot glass of white vinegar in a humidor of red Virginia.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:59 am
only better

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Irish Flake
G&H Dark flake
Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark
Various plugs and ropes
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:40 pm

I really hope someone buys the rights to their blends. McClelland has produced some phenomenal Virginia blends.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

AugustBurnsRed
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AugustBurnsRed » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:21 pm

The only somewhat close comparison I have found:

Frogs "On The Town" - Peterson's "Old Dublin"

I would not by any means say that it is a spit'n image, however, some characteristics are somewhat similar.

Also, In regards to creating "clones", I emailed Russ Oulette about a week or two ago. Specifically in regards to his knowledge on any tobacco that closely resembled McC Aurora. Our conversation goes as follows:

My initial message:

"Hello Russ, I am writing this in hopes of honing in on more tobaccos that closely resemble McClelland Aurora. Aurora has become a favorite of mine, and well, with McClelland no longer producing tobaccos and only few tins of Aurora, I was hoping you could steer me in the right direction. 

I am positive that there are more out there in my shoes (some of whom I personally know). 

With that said, your help and expertise would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your time,

Mike "

Russ:

"Mike,

I wish I had a good answer for you. McClelland’s process for maturing their Virginias was unique, and not many companies used stoved Virginias. Probably the best bet would be some of the McConnell Virginias, but they are frequently out of stock.

Thank you!"

My response:

"Russ, I appreciate your response and suggestions. I have been trying my darnest to track down and purchase all the Aurora I can find. Seems I am out of luck. 

I know it's probably still early to mention this, but, I'd be more than happy to send you some Aurora if it's a blend you'd like to recreate. You have done great things in pipe community, and for that I sincerely think you. "

Russ:

"Mike,

I would love to be able to help the community by developing alternatives to McClelland blends, but under the recent FDA deeming regulations, I can no longer create new blends. Thank you for the compliment in any case.

Thank you!"

This is the full conversation we had. I think the FDA deeming regulations is really the bulk of the problem and just that extra boot to kick out the little man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm

joegoat wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:40 pm
I really hope someone buys the rights to their blends. McClelland has produced some phenomenal Virginia blends.
And since the blends are not new, that would take that blender around the Fed regulations, right?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:58 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:31 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:59 am
only better
No way.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:52 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm
joegoat wrote:
And since the blends are not new, that would take that blender around the Fed regulations, right?
Technically, once the blend changes hands it's considered a new blend.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 am

I don't know about "replacement," but SPC's Plum Pudding is a helluva English, that is, if you're looking for a good English to replace FM.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:08 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 am
I don't know about "replacement," but SPC's Plum Pudding is a helluva English, that is, if you're looking for a good English to replace FM.
If you go looking for it on a cool evening just before dark, you can find the remnants of Frog Morton hidden in GL Pease Maltese Falcon. Someone mentioned Squadron leader. Just as good, but not as similar in taste even if more alike in cut.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:34 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:08 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 am
If you go looking for it on a cool evening just before dark, you can find the remnants of Frog Morton hidden in GL Pease Maltese Falcon. Someone mentioned Squadron leader. Just as good, but not as similar in taste even if more alike in cut.
The Falcon is a good one too.

ImageImage

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:32 am

If the current FDA regulations continue, just about every blend we know will eventually go away and no replacements will be had. Even the ones we have now will not forever remain within FDA requirements.

California legalized recreational marijuana. I can’t tell you how many social gatherings I’ve attended in the last few weeks where strange looking pipes protrude from the lips of many. All those old shady farmers who grew that stuff are losing their jobs. . . No one to arrest them either. . . Weird. Anyway, cigarettes smell right good compared to skunk bud.

And no, I didn’t.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:22 am

I wonder if the McNeil's have shared their process with people or if they are willing. I also wonder if the process could be scaled down so someone could could grow and process it at home. It's looking more and more like we will have to make our own tobacco if we want to continue enjoying our pipes in the not so distant future.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 am

SlowToke wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:22 am
I wonder if the McNeil's have shared their process with people or if they are willing. I also wonder if the process could be scaled down so someone could could grow and process it at home. It's looking more and more like we will have to make our own tobacco if we want to continue enjoying our pipes in the not so distant future.
Nothing in the rules says a dog can't blend tobacco!
The one who states his case first seems right,
until the other comes and examines him. -Proverbs 18:17

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm
joegoat wrote:
You know that he was well-known for refusing to train a successor, right? So only he knows how to make them. And he wouldn't even train an employee to age the tobacco. So there's no one. Ok?

Honestly, theres no one. Not going to happen. Stop it. It's for all of our good to realize they're gone.

Move on to acceptance, gents.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.