Re: McClelland Replacements

Post by UncleBob » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:00 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm
joegoat wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:40 pm
I really hope someone buys the rights to their blends. McClelland has produced some phenomenal Virginia blends.
And since the blends are not new, that would take that blender around the Fed regulations, right?
You know that he was well-known for refusing to train a successor, right? So only he knows how to make them. And he wouldn't even train an employee to age the tobacco. So there's no one. Ok?

Honestly, theres no one. Not going to happen. Stop it. It's for all of our good to realize they're gone.

Move on to acceptance, gents.
That is because he was that successor. He worked for Mary and her first husband, who blended tobacco for Fred Diebel, and then married Mary after her husband died. I think that always made him a bit paranoid about sharing secrets. Just my opinion.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:00 am
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:56 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm
joegoat wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:40 pm
I really hope someone buys the rights to their blends. McClelland has produced some phenomenal Virginia blends.
And since the blends are not new, that would take that blender around the Fed regulations, right?
You know that he was well-known for refusing to train a successor, right? So only he knows how to make them. And he wouldn't even train an employee to age the tobacco. So there's no one. Ok?

Honestly, theres no one. Not going to happen. Stop it. It's for all of our good to realize they're gone.

Move on to acceptance, gents.
That is because he was that successor. He worked for Mary and her first husband, who blended tobacco for Fred Diebel, and then married Mary after her husband died. I think that always made him a bit paranoid about sharing secrets. Just my opinion.
No, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Could see why.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:42 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 am
I don't know about "replacement," but SPC's Plum Pudding is a helluva English, that is, if you're looking for a good English to replace FM.
Agreed. The Special Reserve version even more so.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:33 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:22 am
I wonder if the McNeil's have shared their process with people or if they are willing. I also wonder if the process could be scaled down so someone could could grow and process it at home. It's looking more and more like we will have to make our own tobacco if we want to continue enjoying our pipes in the not so distant future.
People lost the art of home-brewing beer for a while. Save for a few hippy die-hards who weren't afraid to scoff a law or two.

But times changed, and nostalgia for home-crafted beer returned. Old prohibition laws were ignored or repealed. Hobbyists grew into brew-pubs and micro-brews.

Home-made tobacco will return as well. We can do this. Consider JMG's rustic hand-rolled jungle cigars!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Steve S
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Steve S » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:33 pm
SlowToke wrote:
I wonder if the McNeil's have shared their process with people or if they are willing. I also wonder if the process could be scaled down so someone could could grow and process it at home. It's looking more and more like we will have to make our own tobacco if we want to continue enjoying our pipes in the not so distant future.
People lost the art of home-brewing beer for a while. Save for a few hippy die-hards who weren't afraid to scoff a law or two.

But times changed, and nostalgia for home-crafted beer returned. Old prohibition laws were ignored or repealed. Hobbyists grew into brew-pubs and micro-brews.

Home-made tobacco will return as well. We can do this. Consider JMG's rustic hand-rolled jungle cigars!
I agree that it's possible to eventually reverse things. Not inevitable, but possible. Home-brewing has only been legal down here in Alabama for 5 years, but in that short time it's really taken off. There are micro-breweries popping up all over the place down here. They don't all make a superior product, and they won't all survive. But it's a good sign nonetheless.

Let's hope the same happens with pipe tobacco.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:55 pm

plainview wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:42 pm
Joshoowah wrote:
I don't know about "replacement," but SPC's Plum Pudding is a helluva English, that is, if you're looking for a good English to replace FM.
Sweet. I've not yet tried Plum Pudding, but I have an unopened tin currently sitting next to my open FM. Sounds like a good next step.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:26 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:55 pm
plainview wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Sweet. I've not yet tried Plum Pudding, but I have an unopened tin currently sitting next to my open FM. Sounds like a good next step.
Perfect example of differing tastes... FMOTT is in my top 5 tobaccos, and I despise Plum Pudding. To say they are similar is a vast falsehood, in my opinion. But then again, It doesn't seem Joshooooooooowah is saying they are a comparable match, only that he finds it to be a good English if someone has a hole in their rotation.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:26 pm
tuttle wrote:
plainview wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Perfect example of differing tastes... FMOTT is in my top 5 tobaccos, and I despise Plum Pudding. To say they are similar is a vast falsehood, in my opinion. But then again, It doesn't seem Joshooooooooowah is saying they are a comparable match, only that he finds it to be a good English if someone has a hole in their rotation.
You know, for a minute there i thought you didn't read good, but you brought it home in the last sentence.

We shall see.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:11 pm

tuttle wrote:
plainview wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
B-but McClelland makes the SPC blends :confused:
I'd like find an Oriental forward blend with Basma but so far, no joy.

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
tuttle wrote:
plainview wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Have you tried the Special Reserve version of Plum Pudding?

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:13 am

plainview wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
tuttle wrote:
plainview wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
I have not. To the level I disliked the original, someone would have to give me a solid argument as to why I should before I would ever spend money on a tin with that name on it.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:13 am
plainview wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
tuttle wrote:
plainview wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
I have not. To the level I disliked the original, someone would have to give me a solid argument as to why I should before I would ever spend money on a tin with that name on it.
Have you tried GLP's Gaslight? It's a rather strong English, but I enjoy it. Something on the lighter side, and more akin to Cellar, is Two Friends' English Chocolate.

Looking over my cellar I enjoy way too many blends that are hard to come by... McClelland, Esoterica, and Germain contain some of my favorites, and it seems I may need to find other things.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:30 am

Del wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:33 pm
SlowToke wrote:

I've only studied home grown tobacco a bit. I have yet to try it. Because processing techniques are so different and cross pollination can ruin a good strain, a backyard grower could only really produce one type of tobacco. It seems that a whole new community could form based on trading small amounts of tobacco to create personal blends. One fella will make the bright VA's another will be making Perique, someone else will have a smoke house to make the Latakia. Home brewing beer has taught us that with enough experimentation a dedicated hobbyist can match or even best a national company who has their secret recipe under lock and key.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:13 am
plainview wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
tuttle wrote:
plainview wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
I find it deeper and richer than Plum Pudding, which I like, too. The Special Reserve uses a different leaf - as one of the components - from the original in the blend.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Maybe MacBaren will reissue Frog Morton with cavendish and lots of polypropylene glycol.

:ducks and runs out of the room quickly:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:42 pm

My theory has been that in about a year McClelland will do another press release revealing that they processed their Virginia tobaccos like everyone else, but their small family factory was in an abandoned Hunt's Ketchup plant.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:42 pm
My theory has been that in about a year McClelland will do another press release revealing that they processed their Virginia tobaccos like everyone else, but their small family factory was in an abandoned Hunt's Ketchup plant.
:lol:

I believe this is my first and most likely only time to use a smilie. I don't think it's been wasted.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain