Dan Tobacco out of stock

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Dan Tobacco out of stock

Post by coco » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 am

This is a thread to discuss the apparent shortage of Dan Tobacco Manufacturing's products.

While a few blends are still available, the vast majority are currently out of stock.

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: Dan Tobacco out of stock

Post by coco » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:00 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:46 am
SlowToke wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:59 am
MrPiper wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:00 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:33 pm
Dan's DaVinci is the tobacco I smoke most frequently by sheer volume. There really isn't a second to that other than various McClelland's Va's depending on which one i'm in the mood for.
WOW! I thought I must have been the only other person on earth who loved this! I still have a couple of pounds of sweet vanilla honeydew and milonga but I have been out of blue note and davinci for quite a while. Since I haven't been smoking for a while now, it's not been a big deal but I have noticed that it is out of stock everywhere. Did Dan Tobacco shut down? Is there still a source here in the U.S.?

These are the times and questions where we could always depend on Rusty. So sand he is gone.
Awww, man! It is out of stock everywhere. That sucks. First McClelland's; now Dan. The two tobaccos companies I smoke the most. I wonder what the story is with Dan Tobacco. I hadn't noticed because I buy it in the 500g package and hadn't ordered for several months.
Old Ironsides hasn't been in stock since last year. I finished my last tin this past January, during duck season.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 am

A gift of Mellow Mallard from a generous CPSer was my introduction to pure Virginias, and a wonderful introduction it was.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:53 am

It was my daily evening custom for my long commute home, to hit the Starbucks drive-through that was local to my job. I'd typically have a pipe lit, and the server usually on duty would always try to guess what tobacco I was smoking. One day he gave me a sample of his favorite smoke, Dan's The Malthouse Founder's Reserve. I set it aside and it got lost, and then found it years later, after I retired and moved. Then I began looking for it, just casually, but never found any in stock. Now I don't even see it listed in typical inventories. I did find the following, for anyone's possible interest.

Posted by Pipestud, on PipesMagazine.com:
"Dan Tobacco unleashed a lot of tinned blends that were imported for about a 5-year period into the USA by CAO. The Malthouse was one of them. After CAO spit the bit on importation another importer (I can't remember who), continued importing some of those tinned blends, including The Malthouse. But now, those are gone, too, and production of those blends are now pouched blends only and limited to the European market. The Malthouse was one of my favorite aromatic blends to smoke, but only after several years of aging had smoothed out the Virginia and softened the aromatic presence. I miss that one, for sure! "
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:11 am

coco wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:00 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:46 am
SlowToke wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:59 am
MrPiper wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:00 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:33 pm
Dan's DaVinci is the tobacco I smoke most frequently by sheer volume. There really isn't a second to that other than various McClelland's Va's depending on which one i'm in the mood for.
WOW! I thought I must have been the only other person on earth who loved this! I still have a couple of pounds of sweet vanilla honeydew and milonga but I have been out of blue note and davinci for quite a while. Since I haven't been smoking for a while now, it's not been a big deal but I have noticed that it is out of stock everywhere. Did Dan Tobacco shut down? Is there still a source here in the U.S.?

These are the times and questions where we could always depend on Rusty. So sand he is gone.
Awww, man! It is out of stock everywhere. That sucks. First McClelland's; now Dan. The two tobaccos companies I smoke the most. I wonder what the story is with Dan Tobacco. I hadn't noticed because I buy it in the 500g package and hadn't ordered for several months.
Old Ironsides hasn't been in stock since last year. I finished my last tin this past January, during duck season.
Tobacco pipes has the DaVinci

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/dan-tobacc ... e-tobacco/
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:52 pm

I vaguely a similar thing happening about 10 years ago.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Thoth wrote:I vaguely a similar thing happening about 10 years ago.
I remember that occurring, but not the specifics. Maybe a change in distribution or even production?

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

driftedshank
Congregation
Congregation

Post by driftedshank » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:48 am

Try Mars Cigars. I think they've got a pretty complete selection of Dan tobaccos.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:07 am

driftedshank wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:48 am
Try Mars Cigars. I think they've got a pretty complete selection of Dan tobaccos.
Thanks for the heads-up. There are a couple of DAN products I've missed that Mars show to be in stock: Malthouse and Hamborger Veermeister.

Correction: Everything I looked at shows out of stock once you click through the main DAN screen.
Last edited by JimVH on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:08 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:07 am
driftedshank wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:48 am
Thanks. There are a couple of DAN products I've missed that Mars show to be in stock: Malthouse and Hamborger Veermeister.
They also have quite a few that are out of stock, though DaVinci is in stock in tins.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:43 am

I imagine it's a distributor issue, but it could be like everything else foreign right now in the pipe tobacco market. Esoterica isn't readily available, so folks start buying out McConnell. That becomes unavailable so F&T becomes the new love affair. Presbyterian similarly goes the way of the dodo on the market. Rattrays follows the same way, and now Dan. See the trend? I hope it's an anomaly, but it sure looks like a trend.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:43 am
I imagine it's a distributor issue, but it could be like everything else foreign right now in the pipe tobacco market. Esoterica isn't readily available, so folks start buying out McConnell. That becomes unavailable so F&T becomes the new love affair. Presbyterian similarly goes the way of the dodo on the market. Rattrays follows the same way, and now Dan. See the trend? I hope it's an anomaly, but it sure looks like a trend.
Sorry. F&T?

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Sorry. F&T?
Fribourg & Treyer (or something similar to that. Don't assume I've spelled it correctly...)

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:59 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Sorry. F&T?
Fribourg and Treyer (makers of Blackjack).
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:59 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Sorry. F&T?
Fribourg and Treyer (makers of Blackjack).
Interesting. It's a good one is/was it? You've smoked it?

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:44 am

I haven't had a lot of their stuff, but Blackjack is good.

ImageImage