I love spicy... but not perique

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

I love spicy... but not perique

Post by Adam Z » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Is it strange that I really enjoy spicy foods, but I'm not at all into perique?

I just dumped half a bowl of C&D Habana Daydream, which basically smokes like a VaPer with added cigar leaf. The more I smoke, I find that the only VaPer that I'm consistently enjoying is Elizabethan Mixture. I have inconsistent experiences with others - often feeling like I'm filling my mouth with black pepper (like tonight).

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: I love spicy... but not perique

Post by Goose55 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:31 pm

But I think you would like McClelland's Beacon Extra for though it is rich in Perique it is not peppery. Very smooth and rich.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:31 pm
But I think you would like McClelland's Beacon Extra for though it is rich in Perique it is not peppery. Very smooth and rich.
Perhaps regular Beacon, if Extra is too much?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:38 pm

I just dumped half a bowl of C&D Habana Daydream, which basically smokes like a VaPer with added cigar leaf. The more I smoke, I find that the only VaPer that I'm consistently enjoying is Elizabethan Mixture. I have inconsistent experiences with others - often feeling like I'm filling my mouth with black pepper (like tonight).
Adam Z,

You do far better than I. I have yet to find a VAPer I can consider in the rotation.

For years I lamented the lack of my ability to enjoy this area in the hobby. It is a large field to walk through at great leisure that I cannot journey with joy. Then it came it me. I just don't like VAPers. I do not begrudge those that enjoy VAPers. Instead, I enjoy the VAPer lovers tales of the perfect VAPer pipe at dawn while casting into a lake or stream.

So. When did you go fishing last, riend?
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:36 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:24 pm
Adam Z wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Adam Z,

You do far better than I. I have yet to find a VAPer I can consider in the rotation.

For years I lamented the lack of my ability to enjoy this area in the hobby. It is a large field to walk through at great leisure that I cannot journey with joy. Then it came it me. I just don't like VAPers. I do not begrudge those that enjoy VAPers. Instead, I enjoy the VAPer lovers tales of the perfect VAPer pipe at dawn while casting into a lake or stream.

So. When did you go fishing last, riend?
Oh gosh... I haven't gone fishing in years. I've moved around a little bit, and sold off my gear a long time ago. I'd likely enjoy it if I could find a good place near me - say within about a 40 minute drive. I know they exist, but the fishermen I know don't ever want to disclose where any good spots are. I get dirty looks for asking. Back on the VaPers though, I'm probably going to end up trading off 3 tins of Squadron Leader + Perique, along with the majority of the 2 oz of the aforesaid Habana Daydream, and the same amount of Peterson Irish Oak. I'm going to stop trying to make myself enjoy VaPers. I'll let Elizabethan be my "token VaPer" in the cellar, and enjoy my English, VaBurs and the occasional aromatic.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:48 pm

ONE WORD:

Try some C&D Kajun Kake, then you'll love Perique.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 pm

I feel the same way with burly. Keep trying it and unless it is Dark Fired I keep not liking it. Finally I went and removed it from my wish list of what to buy next.

Um, if you really do end up selling you Squadron with Perique let me know as I might try to buy a tin off you.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:55 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 pm
I feel the same way with burly. Keep trying it and unless it is Dark Fired I keep not liking it. Finally I went and removed it from my wish list of what to buy next.

Um, if you really do end up selling you Squadron with Perique let me know as I might try to buy a tin off you.
whoa. yer my evil twin.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:52 pm

rgcurrey wrote:

This makes me sad. My burley journey was bumpy and often riddled with doubt, but once I found my way joy came a knockin. Heavy burley blends are well over half of my tobacco consumption now.

There are some good burley conversations around here that helped me. Not everyone clicks, but I'm sure glad I didn't give up.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:49 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:52 pm
rgcurrey wrote:

This makes me sad. My burley journey was bumpy and often riddled with doubt, but once I found my way joy came a knockin. Heavy burley blends are well over half of my tobacco consumption now.

There are some good burley conversations around here that helped me. Not everyone clicks, but I'm sure glad I didn't give up.
Aww, don't cry shop girl. I know taste change as time goes by so I will come back to burley at some point but I find my taste right now are more along the lines of straight virginias or dark fired kentucky (and some latakia blends like HH Latakia Flake). So I will give it a year or two before I start trying burleys again.

By the way, the one that tipped me over is that I had several bowls of Solani ABF and just didn't care for it. That there told me to back off on the burley quest for a bit. (I had other burley blends that were much more displeasing to me, ABF was just the icing on the cake).

And he said to the man,

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:02 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:49 am
JimVH wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:

Aww, don't cry shop girl. I know taste change as time goes by so I will come back to burley at some point but I find my taste right now are more along the lines of straight virginias or dark fired kentucky (and some latakia blends like HH Latakia Flake). So I will give it a year or two before I start trying burleys again.

By the way, the one that tipped me over is that I had several bowls of Solani ABF and just didn't care for it. That there told me to back off on the burley quest for a bit. (I had other burley blends that were much more displeasing to me, ABF was just the icing on the cake).
ABF is manna from heaven. Yer dead to me.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:56 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:02 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
JimVH wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:

I'm sorry and I understand. But hey, at least I didn't say that about ODF.

And he said to the man,

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:47 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:56 am
JimVH wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:02 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
JimVH wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:

I'm sorry and I understand. But hey, at least I didn't say that about ODF.
At least. :lol: