Wondering how well will Hearth and Home Chantham Manor age

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Wondering how well will Hearth and Home Chantham Manor age

Post by harkpuff » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:57 am

I don't think Hearth and Home Chantham Manor has been out that long, but was wondering how it would age. It don't think it is really considered a true aromatic, but it does have some toppings. I understand from other threads that true aromatics which are heavy laden with toppings do not age real well and will weaken over time. Would the quality of components in Chantham Manor and light toppings lend it to good aging in a well sealed mason jar and stored in a dark cool environment?
Anyone had any experience with aging this blend?

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: Wondering how well will Hearth and Home Chantham Manor age

Post by Thunktank » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:36 pm

harkpuff wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:57 am
I don't think Hearth and Home Chantham Manor has been out that long, but was wondering how it would age. It don't think it is really considered a true aromatic, but it does have some toppings. I understand from other threads that true aromatics which are heavy laden with toppings do not age real well and will weaken over time. Would the quality of components in Chantham Manor and light toppings lend it to good aging in a well sealed mason jar and stored in a dark cool environment?
I’ve had that one, it seems to hold on to the flavors pretty well. It won’t improve with age, but it likely ages better than most tin tobaccos. Most pipe tobaccos don’t age well, losing flavor the longer they sit. Burley/VA blends like this hold up better than most on account of fact that they don’t harbor lots of extra micro flavors to begin with, instead they offer leaf that provides a simple solid taste that simply holds on over time. The topping, although light will slowely lose it’s footing, but if stored properly should hold on quite well for a long time. It’s a good choice for long term storage if you feel you must cellar. .02
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:36 pm
harkpuff wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:57 am
I’ve had that one, it seems to hold on to the flavors pretty well. It won’t improve with age, but it likely ages better than most tin tobaccos. Most pipe tobaccos don’t age well, losing flavor the longer they sit. Burley/VA blends like this hold up better than most on account of fact that they don’t harbor lots of extra micro flavors to begin with, instead they offer leaf that provides a simple solid taste that simply holds on over time. The topping, although light will slowely lose it’s footing, but if stored properly should hold on quite well for a long time. It’s a good choice for long term storage if you feel you must cellar. .02

I agree with what you are saying. Somewhere I read that blends that contain a fair amount of Virginia will age and only get better and smoother with time as well. I think you are right the heavily topped aromatics like Captain Black is something that would not age well at all and could possibly just end up a gooey mess in a Jar.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 am

I smoked some very old Sugar Barrel. It was not any different from the fresh stuff.

My general opinion on codger burleys is that they will keep for a very long time in sealed containers. They will not improve, and they will probably not degrade. Collect them, if you like, when they are on sale.

Chatham Manor is my favorite of the Hearth & Home Mid-Town series. I should put that on my list for IPSD.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 am
I smoked some very old Sugar Barrel. It was not any different from the fresh stuff.

My general opinion on codger burleys is that they will keep for a very long time in sealed containers. They will not improve, and they will probably not degrade. Collect them, if you like, when they are on sale.

Chatham Manor is my favorite of the Hearth & Home Mid-Town series. I should put that on my list for IPSD.

Thanks Del for your comments. I'm hearing that CM is a favorite of a lot of folks and can't wait to dig into it.
I found a link that directed me to some comments that Pease made regarding the aging of tobaccos and he said that Burley/Virginia blends will benefit with aging, not because of the Burley, but because of the Virginia that is present. He also said the Burley tends to take on characteristics of the other tobaccos that it is mixed with and Virginia is probably the best tobacco of all for aging; becoming smoother and sweeter, and can take off the edge that Burley can sometimes impart, rounding out the blend to be a great experience.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 am
Off Topic
Sugar Barrel is one of the great losses to tobaccodom. The match blend is pleasant, but no where close to filling in the void left by SB.

Now I have a sad.