Really old bulk tobacco that wasn't jarred... ?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Really old bulk tobacco that wasn't jarred... ?

Post by Adam Z » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:34 pm

My local tobacconist has some of the old 1lb boxes of Samuel Gawith 1792 flake in storage. Apparently a local pipemaker used to smoke this stuff all the time, and then he cut back. When I asked how old it was, I was told that he's had it for several years, and it's been quite some time since Sam Gawith did 1lb boxes (everything is 50g tins and 250g boxes now). I got a sample that I'm trying to rehydrate before smoking, as it is beyond dry. I'm thinking about taking some of this off his hands, but I'm leery about the idea of tobacco that's been stored in a plastic-wrapped cardboard box for years. I'm still learning what I'm doing here - can tobacco such as this reasonably be salvaged? And if I do buy a box, is it better to rehydrate before I jar it, or should I just put the dry, brittle flakes into jars, and rehydrate only when I'm ready to smoke it?

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Really old bulk tobacco that wasn't jarred... ?

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:54 am

I don't know what's best, but if it were me I'd only hydrate small portions, and only very slightly, that I intended to put into my current rotation right away.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:45 am

Just rehydrate it. It may not be the same character it was, but it's still perfectly fine to hydrate it and smoke it.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:56 am

Have you tried to smoke some without hydrating it? If you like it that way, save yourself the work!

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:50 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:45 am
Just rehydrate it. It may not be the same character it was, but it's still perfectly fine to hydrate it and smoke it.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm with these two dudes:
gravel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:56 am
Have you tried to smoke some without hydrating it? If you like it that way, save yourself the work!
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:54 am
I don't know what's best, but if it were me I'd only hydrate small portions, and only very slightly, that I intended to put into my current rotation right away.

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:31 pm

I already started the re-hydration process for the sample flakes last night before reading the replies here, so I don't have any more of the sahara-desert-dry flakes to smoke as-is - unless I do end up buying one of the 1lb boxes. I'm planning to try some of it in a little Peterson 999 this evening.

My only other experience in smoking super dry tobacco was some Frog Morton (original) that I went a little overboard on drying. I kept getting frustrated with the moisture content, and left it open for several hours, and overdid it. The result was a bland, thin-bodied smoke. It got better with some rehydration, but it never was quite the same - hence my skepticism about stuff that has gotten crazy dry.

Again though, my lack of experience is probably showing here as well. 5 months of puffing doesn't make for a veteran pipe smoker.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Again though, my lack of experience is probably showing here as well. 5 months of puffing doesn't make for a veteran pipe smoker.
No worries, bud. We have all been there. Keep asking questions.

If you do decide to pursue the dry stuff I would encourage a little experimentation with a dry or slightly dehydrated flake or two. There are some blends that really do respond well.

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:28 pm

I can't get this stuff to burn. I tried a cube cut with a gravity fill, and its too much work to try to smoke it. I've tried matches and butane. I dumped the bowl and let it sit out for another 30 minutes, thinking I might have overdone it with the rehydrating, and attempting to smoke it is still an exercise in frustration. Dumped that bowl again. The only similar smoking experience I've had in the 30-odd blends I've smoked is when I had a newly opened tin of Frog Morton - and I daresay that the FM still burned a bit better than this 1792.

Then I spread out the remaining tobacco on a plate, let it sit out for 2 hours, and tried again - to the same result. I like the flavor of the smoke ok, but it is a thoroughly frustrating and dissatisfying experience even when dried. At this point, I'll likely try to pick up a fresh tin sometime to give this blend another go, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be investing in one of those 1lb boxes.

Any of you guys have any experience with a flake that simply does not want to burn?

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:09 pm

I’m late to this party but I was going to suggest you not mess with it unless:

1. You really enjoy rehydrating tobacco
2. He’s giving them to you free of charge
Or
3. Both

You can certainly rehydrate small batches of tobacco easily enough, but even then, it won’t be what it was. It might be enjoyable enough to smoke, so if it’s fun for you, go for it, but it won’t be what it was.

If you’re paying for a pound of tobacco that’s unsmokable without a lot of work, you’re getting ripped off.
Sola Deo Gloria

Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Adam Z » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Or
3. Both

You can certainly rehydrate small batches of tobacco easily enough, but even then, it won’t be what it was. It might be enjoyable enough to smoke, so if it’s fun for you, go for it, but it won’t be what it was.

If you’re paying for a pound of tobacco that’s unsmokable without a lot of work, you’re getting ripped off.
Sounds like good advice. I got a few flakes free of charge, but I have no intention of going back and paying $50-60 for a box of this stuff in the condition that it is in. For all the work involved, it's not even worth $20 to me.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:05 pm

To put it bluntly,I wouldn’t touch the stuff. Life’s too short.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:24 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Or
3. Both

Sounds like good advice. I got a few flakes free of charge, but I have no intention of going back and paying $50-60 for a box of this stuff in the condition that it is in. For all the work involved, it's not even worth $20 to me.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:52 am

I thought there would be something in this thread about Jared.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:23 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:52 am
I thought there would be something in this thread about Jared.
There would have been, but he didn't win.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:42 pm

If you really like the rehydrated flakes that you have and he is willing to give you a great deal, maybe. Otherwise...
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:05 pm
To put it bluntly,I wouldn’t touch the stuff. Life’s too short.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk