Savinelli Doblone D’Oro

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Savinelli Doblone D’Oro

Post by 7formy1911 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:54 am

It has been a very long time since I’ve gotten into a blend that made me question my preferences. I’m not a huge Virginia fan and typically I only encounter it as an addition to a burley blend or in a VaPerBur. Straight Virginias tend to display too many “high notes” for my taste in the form of hay and citrus. I prefer the bass notes that burley, dark fired and perique are bent towards. Because of this my typical fair is in the form of codger burleys such as C&D Pegasus and C&D Old Joe Krantz. I’ve recently gotten into HH Bold Kentucky from MacBaren which is a fine blend. I’ve dabbled a bit with Samuel Gawith and G&H blends that contained African dark fired leaf and loved the taste but was always put off by the Lakeland undertones. While perusing tobacco reviews I noticed a blend that was very much off the beaten path. It was put out by Savinelli but, I believe, produced by MacBaren. It had some good reviews but the hook for me was the inclusion of some “dark fired Kenyan leaf.” Now I had to try it.

Opening up the tin I was greeted with a birds nest of coins and strands. The blend was dry but certainly not crispy and crumbly. I prefer my tobacco on the dryer side so no issues here for me. Pulling out a few coins I can see that there’s a definitely mixture of light brown, dark brown, yellow and black tobaccos. There’s a smell of Virginia with light hay and citrus followed by a very light aroma of dark fired and some sweetness. Very nice indeed. Think of Orlik Golden sliced but with a nice deep dark fired note added. To be honest I really do not like Orlik Golden sliced for the reasons mentioned above out of preference.

I prefer to rub out the coins and did so leaving some larger strands and chunks to smolder in my pipe. Packing is a breeze, just make sure to use a light hand since the coins have some pretty compressed areas of tobacco that expand quite readily while heat is applied. Applying flame brings the notes of hay, citrus and a gentle sweetness to the tongue. Not my favorite so I apply a few false lights and let the pipe sit for a bit. Coming back later and lighting brings a subdued bright note and quickly the burley smooths things out a bit followed by the dark fired building in strength. While not the most complex blend it does have flavors that weave in and out that I find intoxicating. The dark fired builds through the bowl and provides a very strong backbone that I enjoy. The African leaf is different than its American cousin since it provides a more savory smoky note than a BBQ smoke note like dark fired Kentucky.

One component that seems to weave in and out and be mysterious is the perique. Sometimes there will be notes of pepper, other times fig and plum. It will make its presence known but don’t expect a full on VaPer experience. While the blend may start off on a “bright” note it quickly turns into a “full” blend taste wise and there is an undertone of sweetness throughout. The only star of the whole blend is the dark fired with all the rest of the components adding crescendos here and there throughout to keep your interest but with enough backbone to make this a stout companion. I would put nicotine in the medium plus category.

Has this blend unseated any of my top go to blends like Pegasus and Old Joe Krantz? YES it has. That is what blows me away. I was not expecting this offbeat blend to provide that sort of challenge to my well established rotation but I can honestly say I’ll be stocking up on this blend and Old Joe Krantz may have to go to the nursing home. I highly recommend that you try this blend and if this is what the old Three Nuns was like then I can see why it was so popular. Awesome blend and very enjoyable.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Savinelli Doblone D’Oro

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:56 am

Thank you very much for this fantastic review! I will definitely be looking for this blend in the future.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 am

Indeed - great write up.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 am

I smoked my first bowl of this this morning and it is indeed a winner. I agree with most everything in the above review. My tin was mostly loose strands rather than distinct coins, a minor detail and not necessarily a bad thing. Tin note reminded me of a hay Barn in winter when the air is clean and the aroma of sweet hay permeates the senses. The flavor to me is similar to 1792 but sweeter tasting. Packs and lights and smokes well. A very lovely smoke. I'll order another tin or two of this.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Very rarely does a review actually make me want to go out and buy a tobacco. That’s probably the most honest assessment of both reviewer and tobacco that I’ve read. I’ve seen this blend and dismissed it in passing (my grandfather, being from the old country, dismissed all Italian pipes and tobaccos as “not as good as the English.)

It’s on my radar now if I can find a place that sells it. Thanks to both of you gents.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Dang. Now I am looking for this. My TAD thanks you!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm
Very rarely does a review actually make me want to go out and buy a tobacco. That’s probably the most honest assessment of both reviewer and tobacco that I’ve read. I’ve seen this blend and dismissed it in passing (my grandfather, being from the old country, dismissed all Italian pipes and tobaccos as “not as good as the English.)

It’s on my radar now if I can find a place that sells it. Thanks to both of you gents.
Happy to oblige. I better go get some before it starts to disappear...
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Winton
Minister of Dad Jokes
Minister of Dad Jokes

Post by Winton » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:27 am

I actually have an open tin of this blend. Very enjoyable.