Autumn English Bug

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28442
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Autumn English Bug

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:29 pm

I've pushed aside latakia blends for a few years.

This autumn however, I am feeling it again anew.

May your blue smoke rings density and hang time be epic.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33276
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by John-Boy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Which one are you going to?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8487
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Just opened some Sextant! Good stuff


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28442
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:11 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:46 pm
Which one are you going to?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have some inbound that I want to get to straight away. Right now 965 is my sole English opened. i just finished off a tin of brebbia 60.

November is looking to be very yummy.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28442
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:14 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 pm
Just opened some Sextant! Good stuff


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see there is some Kentucky in there.

You have failed the Subtle Test.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8487
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:21 am

DepartedLight wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 pm
Just opened some Sextant! Good stuff


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see there is some Kentucky in there.

You have failed the Subtle Test.
Sextant is a classic mixture harmoniously married to a Navy flake. Ripe Virginia tobaccos are first blended with Cyprian latakia, fine Orientals, and a touch of dark fired Kentucky leaf, then infused with a hint of dark rum before being gently pressed, matured and sliced. The flavor is rich, bold and satisfying, the aroma an enchanting interweaving of traditions.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8606
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 am

I might also suggest, one of the Hermit Tobacco Works Co. - Captain Earle's blends...they are very good in this cooler weather
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8606
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 am
I might also suggest, one of the Hermit Tobacco Works Co. - Captain Earle's blends...they are very good in this cooler weather
You should break out the 10 Russians and light it up...that will get the blue smoke going.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18449
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 pm

I have also had a recent change in tastes. I've been wailing on Skiff and Squadron Leader and Margate.

It's been about 10 or 12 years since I switched to va flakes. Maybe we were due?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8606
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 pm
I have also had a recent change in tastes. I've been wailing on Skiff and Squadron Leader and Margate.

It's been about 10 or 12 years since I switched to va flakes. Maybe we were due?
Getting the band back together...a great trio
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 8487
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Near the Sunken Road, VA

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:27 pm

So what english blends have you gone to oh brilliant one that has gone away?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

User avatar
DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies
Posts: 28442
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:27 pm
So what english blends have you gone to oh brilliant one that has gone away?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well. I had planned 965 and GH Balkan Mixture. But then Ramsgate showed up and has taken center stage.

Just keepin' it real.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm

I only have a pipe or two of Squadron Leader left and none in sight on line. Thinking I might try Blairgowrie.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18449
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm
I only have a pipe or two of Squadron Leader left and none in sight on line. Thinking I might try Blairgowrie.
Call Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox, PA. They have bulk. But if you buy them out, I'll hex your house.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm
I only have a pipe or two of Squadron Leader left and none in sight on line. Thinking I might try Blairgowrie.
Call Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox, PA. They have bulk. But if you buy them out, I'll hex your house.
No worries as the most I could do is one box.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18449
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm
I only have a pipe or two of Squadron Leader left and none in sight on line. Thinking I might try Blairgowrie.
Call Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox, PA. They have bulk. But if you buy them out, I'll hex your house.
No worries as the most I could do is one box.
I have no hexing powers anyway. :lol:
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:12 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm
I only have a pipe or two of Squadron Leader left and none in sight on line. Thinking I might try Blairgowrie.
Call Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox, PA. They have bulk. But if you buy them out, I'll hex your house.
No worries as the most I could do is one box.
I have no hexing powers anyway. :lol:
By bulk do you mean the 250g box?
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18449
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:12 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm
I only have a pipe or two of Squadron Leader left and none in sight on line. Thinking I might try Blairgowrie.
Call Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox, PA. They have bulk. But if you buy them out, I'll hex your house.
No worries as the most I could do is one box.
I have no hexing powers anyway. :lol:
By bulk do you mean the 250g box?
I don’t know, as all I see is a jar, but I would assume so. I’ll call them on Monday and find out for you. But PA tobacco tax is high, I must warn you.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6718
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 pm

I’ll second the endorsement of Squadron Leader. Fortunately, I grabbed quite a few tins before stocks of SG started to become iffy.

There was some tinned Presbyterian Mixture available recently. Haven’t looked lately.
Presbyterian has become my go-to smoke, especially after inheriting a nice supply.

A unique light Latakia from Lane is readily available, HGL. It’s RLP-6 with a touch of Latakia.
I love it. It’s tasty, mild for lots of smoking, inexpensive, but maybe a little light for a serious English smoker.

If you once grew tired of Latakia and are wanting to ease back in, this might be the ticket.
You can hardly beat the price.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18449
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:50 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 pm
I’ll second the endorsement of Squadron Leader. Fortunately, I grabbed quite a few tins before stocks of SG started to become iffy.

There was some tinned Presbyterian Mixture available recently. Haven’t looked lately.
Presbyterian has become my go-to smoke, especially after inheriting a nice supply.

A unique light Latakia from Lane is readily available, HGL. It’s RLP-6 with a touch of Latakia.
I love it. It’s tasty, mild for lots of smoking, inexpensive, but maybe a little light for a serious English smoker.

If you once grew tired of Latakia and are wanting to ease back in, this might be the ticket.
You can hardly beat the price.
This man speaks extraordinary amounts of sooth, for my taste, anyway. From his love of old Presbyterian Mixture to his recommendation of HGL--the only wife-friendly, smoker-friendly blend on the market, the man is speaks wisdom.

Durangopipe, do you review tobaccos on tobacco reviews? If not, could I have a list of your favorites in general over all the genres? It's useful to know a smoker shares your tastes...makes a good baseline for trying new blends.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Post Reply