Head of the Council of Fairies

Re: Autumn English Bug

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 pm
I’ll second the endorsement of Squadron Leader. Fortunately, I grabbed quite a few tins before stocks of SG started to become iffy.

There was some tinned Presbyterian Mixture available recently. Haven’t looked lately.
Presbyterian has become my go-to smoke, especially after inheriting a nice supply.

A unique light Latakia from Lane is readily available, HGL. It’s RLP-6 with a touch of Latakia.
I love it. It’s tasty, mild for lots of smoking, inexpensive, but maybe a little light for a serious English smoker.

If you once grew tired of Latakia and are wanting to ease back in, this might be the ticket.
You can hardly beat the price.
This man speaks extraordinary amounts of sooth, for my taste, anyway. From his love of old Presbyterian Mixture to his recommendation of HGL--the only wife-friendly, smoker-friendly blend on the market, the man is speaks wisdom.

Durangopipe, do you review tobaccos on tobacco reviews? If not, could I have a list of your favorites in general over all the genres? It's useful to know a smoker shares your tastes...makes a good baseline for trying new blends.
Durangopipe has tried Foggy Bottom. Just sayin'. :twisted:
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:36 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
I’ll second the endorsement of Squadron Leader. Fortunately, I grabbed quite a few tins before stocks of SG started to become iffy.

There was some tinned Presbyterian Mixture available recently. Haven’t looked lately.
Presbyterian has become my go-to smoke, especially after inheriting a nice supply.

A unique light Latakia from Lane is readily available, HGL. It’s RLP-6 with a touch of Latakia.
I love it. It’s tasty, mild for lots of smoking, inexpensive, but maybe a little light for a serious English smoker.

If you once grew tired of Latakia and are wanting to ease back in, this might be the ticket.
This man speaks extraordinary amounts of sooth, for my taste, anyway. From his love of old Presbyterian Mixture to his recommendation of HGL--the only wife-friendly, smoker-friendly blend on the market, the man is speaks wisdom.

Durangopipe, do you review tobaccos on tobacco reviews? If not, could I have a list of your favorites in general over all the genres? It's useful to know a smoker shares your tastes...makes a good baseline for trying new blends.
Did he have to pay for it? I dont buy untaxed tobacco.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:41 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:36 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Commie.
DL Jake

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:49 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:41 pm
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Commie.
Your sales tactics need tweaking. :lol:

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:49 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Commie.
Damn Commie?
DL Jake

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:03 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:49 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Commie.
Damn Commie?
Also, the grammar needs a little work; i.e., "Damned Commie."

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

The only thing I’ve ever written that resembles a tobacco review was the feedback I gave DL on Foggy Bottom, which - by the way - is a truly wonderful, unique, Burley/Oriental (some Lat and top secret ingredients) with a dash of Perique. Not a common mixture, I know, but Jake hit it out of the park with this one.

My rotation has changed frequently, and like many others I’ve gone from aromatics mostly, to mild English (Early Morning Pipe initially), to mostly Virginia’s, and back to slightly more complicated if on the mild side English and Oriental, to the point where my favorites now are all over the place and I just don’t get around to smoking a lot of tobaccos I know I once enjoyed.

Here’s a list of what I’m mostly smoking, but I warn you, it’s probably going to look pretty crazy!

Trout Stream
Boswell Piper’s Pleasure (if you like a mild, all day chocolate aromatic, this is the best I’ve ever smoked; my favorite aromatic)
RLP-6

HGL
Presbyterian Mixture (smoking tons of this these days, more than anything else)
Squadron Leader
McConnell Scottish Cake

SG Best Brown Flake (for a long time my go-to smoke)
SG Full Virginia Flake
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
Dunhill Flake
Orlik Golden Sliced (a great Virginia sometimes available on sale for ridiculously low prices)
Drew Estate Gatsby Luxury Flake (another great buy, in my opinion - is it still available?)

Lane Ready Rubbed - Edgeworth (fantastic value)
Chatham Manor (Pipes and Cigars Carter Hall match blend, but better I think)
H&H Classic Burley Cake

It’s a pretty pedestrian list, I fear. I doubt there’s much here you haven’t tried, hugo.

I have 30 or 40 unopened 50g and 100g tins of McClelland Tobaccos (most of which I have yet to try), a lot of tinned SG tobaccos, many more assorted others in jars and tins - many I like but haven’t gotten around todmoking recently.

I plan to go on a McClelland tasting binge after I smoke up some opened bulk tobacco jars and tins.

I’ll see if I can get around to an archeological dig in my cellar to see if anything else shows up to jog my memory. I bought a lot of this stuff when it was readily available and inexpensive.

And I likely have enough to last me forever!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:00 pm
hugodrax wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

The only thing I’ve ever written that resembles a tobacco review was the feedback I gave DL on Foggy Bottom, which - by the way - is a truly wonderful, unique, Burley/Oriental (some Lat and top secret ingredients) with a dash of Perique. Not a common mixture, I know, but Jake hit it out of the park with this one.

My rotation has changed frequently, and like many others I’ve gone from aromatics mostly, to mild English (Early Morning Pipe initially), to mostly Virginia’s, and back to slightly more complicated if on the mild side English and Oriental, to the point where my favorites now are all over the place and I just don’t get around to smoking a lot of tobaccos I know I once enjoyed.

Here’s a list of what I’m mostly smoking, but I warn you, it’s probably going to look pretty crazy!

Trout Stream
Boswell Piper’s Pleasure (if you like a mild, all day chocolate aromatic, this is the best I’ve ever smoked; my favorite aromatic)
RLP-6

HGL
Presbyterian Mixture (smoking tons of this these days, more than anything else)
Squadron Leader
McConnell Scottish Cake

SG Best Brown Flake (for a long time my go-to smoke)
SG Full Virginia Flake
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
Dunhill Flake
Orlik Golden Sliced (a great Virginia sometimes available on sale for ridiculously low prices)
Drew Estate Gatsby Luxury Flake (another great buy, in my opinion - is it still available?)

Lane Ready Rubbed - Edgeworth (fantastic value)
Chatham Manor (Pipes and Cigars Carter Hall match blend, but better I think)
H&H Classic Burley Cake

It’s a pretty pedestrian list, I fear. I doubt there’s much here you haven’t tried, hugo.

I have 30 or 40 unopened 50g and 100g tins of McClelland Tobaccos (most of which I have yet to try), a lot of tinned SG tobaccos, many more assorted others in jars and tins - many I like but haven’t gotten around todmoking recently.

I plan to go on a McClelland tasting binge after I smoke up some opened bulk tobacco jars and tins.

I’ll see if I can get around to an archeological dig in my cellar to see if anything else shows up to jog my memory. I bought a lot of this stuff when it was readily available and inexpensive.

And I likely have enough to last me forever!
Thank you very much. Our favorites are pretty similar...love the new Ready Rubbed, I swear its identical to what I remember.

Old favorites are best favorites. You've reawakened a curiosity about Classic Burley Kake.

I shall watch your tobacco posts with great interest.