Drying Tobacco

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
ryland
More of this
More of this

Drying Tobacco

Post by ryland » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 pm

When I read tobacco reviews I'll sometimes come across someone who dries their tobacco for five or ten minutes.

I've left tobacco out overnight and find a change in that, but I don't see how drying for 5, 10 or 20 minutes makes any noticeable difference.

Can anyone prove me wrong?
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Re: Drying Tobacco

Post by Jocose » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 am

I'm not certain that anyone can "prove you wrong "

That being said..

For me it depends on the tobacco.

Sometimes a tin of PIF is extra moist and I'll break a bowlful in pieces to let dry for 10-20 mins, other times the said or other tobacco is ready for flame.

Sometimes pipe guys just geek out on stuff, there is no right or wrong unless you do stuff like put jelly in yer pipe.

I keed goose.. I keed.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:04 am

Myself, I don't like to fight to keep moist tobacco lit. So, I often warm a rubbed out bit in the microwave for 20-25 seconds and then let it set on the warm plate while I ready my pipe for packing. Usually with the ceiling fan on. The blends still have wonderful flavors and its a real joy to be able to sip my way through a bowl seldom needing to relight.
Last edited by Goose55 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:09 am

Whenever I encounter people who insist on drying tobacco for X minutes to get the perfect smoke, I always remember that line from Young Guns 2:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 am

5-10 minutes doesn't produce any noticeable results, but I think I've noticed results in the 20-25 minute range. Sometimes I've had some tobacco that isn't drenched, but it's just a tad bit more moist than what I think is optimal, so I'll spread out a bowl's-worth of tobacco on a sheet of paper for 20 minutes or so before packing it.

I've tried the microwave method, but in my limited experience the tobacco gets a bit crispy, and the smoking characteristics are altered too much by it - unto each his own.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 am

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:09 am
Whenever I encounter people who insist on drying tobacco for X minutes to get the perfect smoke, I always remember that line from Young Guns 2:
I always think of this video.

https://youtu.be/vHBmoFdOzHw
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 am

I've heard microwaved tobacco gets better if you wrap it in foil before you heat it up.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:55 am

ryland wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 am
I've heard microwaved tobacco gets better if you wrap it in foil before you heat it up.
I genuinely hope I meet you some day, sir. That made me giggle.

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:55 am
ryland wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 am
I genuinely hope I meet you some day, sir. That made me giggle.
Me too!

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 am

I accidentally left the lid off my mason jar of PS LNF. It sat open over night. It was drier the next day. Kinda glad there's not much left.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:54 pm

I think if you spread the tobacco out enough, and put it under a lamp, 15-20 can help a little...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cob Pipes Matter! The trophy was too big

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:34 pm

What is wrong with you people?

Dry it until you like it. Then tell us about why you liked it that way.

Enablers gonna enable.

Not this kid.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:33 am

Drying Sam Gawith's Mayors Chocolate Flake is an absolute must, it comes so wetly in the tin.

I zap a rubbed out large bowlful in the mic for 30 seconds and then leave it under a ceiling fan as I prepare my pipe. No loss of flavor at all, and burns like a dream.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm

UncleBob wrote:
:pipe2:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm
UncleBob wrote:
But it works for me. That's all that matters.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm
UncleBob wrote:
But it works for me. That's all that matters.
No. That's all that matters to you. There are other people out there, you know. You might have seen them in Costco.

Not that I give a flip, mind. You can dry it. I don't. We both seem to smoke. No harm, right? Not like that straight grain canard of yours.

Now to work on my opus: They Pack the Tobacco Wetly.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Turn the gas on high and heat up a skillet. Stir fry the tobacco in oil vigorously. In the last minute of stir frying, add garlic and onion. Pack the resulting mixture into your pipe and enjoy, as it will have the PERFECT moisture content. This method was recommended by an expert.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:16 pm

I think it makes a difference if it's a PG laden blend like Captain Black or if it's something like say, oh, Ennerdale Flake. The later has no PG to retard evaporation. Captain Black can sit out all night and not get crispy. Ennerdale is another story. It dries much faster. In a new tin I rub out a flake on a piece of paper and let it dry for about a half hour or so is not uncommon.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:40 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 am
I accidentally left the lid off my mason jar of PS LNF. It sat open over night. It was drier the next day. Kinda glad there's not much left.
My tongue hurts at the mere thought.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:56 pm

I seldom dry tobacco but the times that I have, I've put some on a sheet of paper (no lightbulb nearby) and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Does the trick. I wouldn't dare put it in the microwave because I would be roundly scolded.

As a matter of fact, I dried some today (just remembered). It was Peterson 3P. I had already cut up the plug into small pieces (think long and narrow) and I took the top off the tin and let it sit about an hour. Got pretty dry and was easy to light. Easier than if you don't dry it a little. IMHO, YMMV, LOL, et al.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV