My Ephiphany About Frog Morton Tobacco

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
FoodMaven
Congregation
Congregation

My Ephiphany About Frog Morton Tobacco

Post by FoodMaven » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:20 pm

To those who want to make their own Frogmorton. In a moment of clarity of my mind, while seeing Pipe Smokers talk about the "ketchupy" taste of Frogmorton Tobacco, I realized that the casing is with malt vinegar. I also believe that the vinegar was mixed with (food grade) glycerin. I've never smelled Frog Morton, but at several sites, the reference is always to vinegary flavor or ketchupy aroma. I'm cross posting this at as many sites as possible. Feel free to share, please.

If your taste of this reminds you of ketchup, the basic flavor profile for ketchup is vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and cloves.

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Re: My Ephiphany About Frog Morton Tobacco

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:32 pm

Superb. Tout les fous jouent aujourd’hui.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Please try it and tell us about your findings.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:10 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:37 pm
Please try it and tell us about your findings.
I suspect he's right, you know.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Where's Rusty when we need him?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:02 pm

FoodMaven wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:20 pm
To those who want to make their own Frogmorton. In a moment of clarity of my mind, while seeing Pipe Smokers talk about the "ketchupy" taste of Frogmorton Tobacco, I realized that the casing is with malt vinegar. I also believe that the vinegar was mixed with (food grade) glycerin. I've never smelled Frog Morton, but at several sites, the reference is always to vinegary flavor or ketchupy aroma. I'm cross posting this at as many sites as possible. Feel free to share, please.

If your taste of this reminds you of ketchup, the basic flavor profile for ketchup is vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and cloves.
No tomato in there whatsoever?

Vinegar & sugar, I can see.

Cinnamon, allspice and cloves? I dunno 'bout that, Batman. That sounds more like a Christmas ham.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:02 pm
FoodMaven wrote:

Cinnamon, allspice and cloves? I dunno 'bout that, Batman. That sounds more like a Christmas ham.
...And then the tobacco fairies began to flit this way and that, as they worked feverishly on a new "Christmas Ham" blend. "More bouillon," one of them said in a small, shrill voice.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:35 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
FoodMaven wrote:

...And then the tobacco fairies began to flit this way and that, as they worked feverishly on a new "Christmas Ham" blend. "More bouillon," one of them said in a small, shrill voice.
Vinegar is a product of natural fermentation. The microbes poop out esters and spicy notes, as well as acetic acid.

Aged virginia tobacco is also subject to natural fermentation. And thus, a freshly opened tin reminds us of ketchup.

I hate to be the one to tell ya there, FoodMaven...... This aroma is not a casing. A freshly packed tin doesn't smell like ketchup. We can't replicate this with flavor additives.

I hope you are yanking our chain. But if you've really posted this to many sites, please share some of the hilarious responses with us!

The bar was set for this sort of joke when a tin of canned lamb was posted on Tobacco Reviews:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/295 ... ake-slices
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:18 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
FoodMaven wrote:

The TF-HQ R&D Fairies are far more manly than this. We have no small nor shrill voice.

We have burps that would drop you at a dozen feet, mister.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:50 am

Why can't we just let things die? I say that as a lover of all things Frog Morton.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Jester
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Jester » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:26 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:50 am
Why can't we just let things die? I say that as a lover of all things Frog Morton.
My son has a frog plush toy. I told him it's name was Frog Morton.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:26 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:50 am
My son has a frog plush toy. I told him it's name was Frog Morton.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:51 am

I always enjoyed the steak sauce smell of the McClelland blends...pop a tin and sniff...but I never tasted anything like it when smoking the blends. I remember reading lots of info on why MC blends had the smell...but most of that info also said there was no hint of it in the smoking of the blends.

I don't think I would like to smoke something that had vinegar as a topping or one that tasted "ketchupy"... :egor:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 am

Del wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:35 pm
...The microbes poop out esters and spicy notes
Google first.

CPS enriches the world once again.

Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:03 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 am
Del wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:35 pm
...The microbes poop out esters and spicy notes
Google first.

CPS enriches the world once again.
If only we could all poop spicy notes.... :wink:
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FoodMaven
Congregation
Congregation

Post by FoodMaven » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:00 pm

Even the lightest spray of vinegar would stave off mold and unwanted microorganism growth. I'm thinking enough vinegar to prevent decay, which is why on first opening the tin, the aroma is there. But after coming into contact with fresh air, the minute amount of aromatic particles dissipate quickly and forever. There are several foods/dishes that come to mind about this. I call this ephemeral food (tobacco). It's only there while it's fresh, in the first few minutes. There was a coffeeshop near me, Cafe Roma. Coffee flavor as stout as the will of God. But 5 minutes after brewing/serving, the robustness dissipated.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:05 pm

FoodMaven wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:00 pm
Even the lightest spray of vinegar would stave off mold and unwanted microorganism growth. I'm thinking enough vinegar to prevent decay, which is why on first opening the tin, the aroma is there. But after coming into contact with fresh air, the minute amount of aromatic particles dissipate quickly and forever. There are several foods/dishes that come to mind about this. I call this ephemeral food (tobacco). It's only there while it's fresh, in the first few minutes. There was a coffeeshop near me, Cafe Roma. Coffee flavor as stout as the will of God. But 5 minutes after brewing/serving, the robustness dissipated.
I've thought the same and they all think I'm nuts.

I'm with you.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:05 pm
FoodMaven wrote:
I've thought the same and they all think I'm nuts.

I'm with you.
I thought it was common knowledge that McClelland used vinegar as a casing to produce their signature "ketchup" smell.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:04 pm

“Del” wrote: The bar was set for this sort of joke when a tin of canned lamb was posted on Tobacco Reviews:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/295 ... ake-sliceso
Joke?
That was a joke?

Well no wonder I could never get it to light!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:17 pm

FoodMaven wrote:
Whisky flavor never dissipates, unless ice be added.
Which doesn't help us one bit now that Frog Morton has performed the missing man(frog?) formation
Although I've found Squadron Leader pretty close.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."