Sweet Spot for Aged VA

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Sweet Spot for Aged VA

Post by Fainn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 pm

A few years ago, I was gifted some VA by my SS. It will be 10 years old next year. Should I open the tin or wait?

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: Sweet Spot for Aged VA

Post by Goose55 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:46 am

Fainn wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 pm
A few years ago, I was gifted some VA by my SS. It will be 10 years old next year. Should I open the tin or wait?

It's my understanding that the benefits of aging Virginias peaks at about 5 years.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:48 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:46 am
Fainn wrote:

It's my understanding that the benefits of aging Virginias peaks at about 5 years.
Have you been smoking for five years, Goose?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:57 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:48 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:

No, but I give weight to what those that have, have to say about it, and so it becomes my understanding. Expert testimony
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax

Re: Sweet Spot for Aged Vee

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:32 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:57 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:48 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fainn wrote:

No, but I give weight to what those that have, have to say about it, and so it becomes my understanding. Expert testimony

That’s tantamount to saying opinions can be purchased ready-made. And, to an extent, I agree with the premise, as long as We have three caveats: 1.) nothing beats personal experience; 2.) personal experiences differ; and 3.) taste differs.

Take me, for example. I maintain that tobaccos definitely change with aging, but that change may or may not be an improvement (and here’s the critical part, in reality a disclaimer) for my personal tastes. Back when I was a wealthy young married-but-childless buck, I bought into the aging camp and set down a bunch of tobacco from 1996 through the early 2000’s. Then I stopped buying tobacco for a while as other priorities, like diapers and schooling, took hold.

Like you, ive always preferred Virginia tobacco. At the time, my favorite tinned tobaccos included Orlik Golden Sliced and Wessex Sovereign Curly Cut (still a Randolph Scott hat raising tobacco a la Blazing Saddles). I found the delightful effervescent brightness of Orlik Golden Sliced mellowed into blah while the Wessex Curly kept its intrigue, only deepening a little over the time span. Just a tiny example of my reasons for believing everything changes, but not all change is good.

Your tastes probably differ, just as a general matter. My tongue is my own. But I came to the conclusion that if I liked it, I’ll smoke it fresh because the time, investment, etc on the crapshoot of something improving weren’t worth it (again, the critical caveat) to me.

I wish you a long and healthy life, Goose. Not just because you’re a good guy and a good friend, but because I’d really like to see you develop your own opinions on these things. You’re so very enthusiastic about it all that I’d just love to read your opinions in ten or twenty years and see if they differ.

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:44 am

Fainn wrote:

My two cents:

Overemphasizing tobacco aging is another thing we do to make pipe smoking harder than it has to be. I can tell an age difference in older blends that I'm familiar with, but not in blends I've never had before. Personally, I don't own any sacred cows. I've never opened a tin of good tobacco and said to myself "I opened this too early". My opinion is that the aging debate is too often more hype than substance. If I'm in the mood or curious about a blend I smoke it right then. I've made too many mistakes buying stuff to age that I wound up not even liking later, or even worse, I missed an opportunity for a great moment in time enjoying a good smoke to save something I didn't even know would matter later.

Smoke it if you've got it. There's too much other crap in life to stew about.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:26 am

There are too many variables, for aging, in and of itself to be meaningful. Moisture, and vintage and condition of the tobacco when tinned or purchased in the first place, just to name a few.
My favorite tobacco of all time ever, which I selfishly will not disclose, varies by vintage. The 2014 dated tins are the absolute best. 2012 or 2013, and 2015-2018, are not the same, regardless of "aging" any of the tins. They're all great, but not the same.
For me enhancement comes from acheiving the right moisture or dryness level, mostly. (Besides vintage).
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:01 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:44 am
...My opinion is that the aging debate is too often more hype than substance.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Rusty used to insist:
1. Age changes tobacco. Whether or not this change is for the better is purely subjective.
2. Tobacco manufacturers make tobacco to be good when it is first opened.
3. Change by aging is exponential in nature. Noticeable changes are approximately at six months, a year, two years, four years, etc.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:18 pm
Rusty used to insist:
1. Age changes tobacco. Whether or not this change is for the better is purely subjective.
3. Change by aging is exponential in nature. Noticeable changes are approximately at six months, a year, two years, four years, etc.
1. Agreed.

2. Sane manufacturers. C&D excluded and the good Lord knows why.

3. Fart sniffing territory. Maybe. I dunno.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:39 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 pm
coco wrote:
Rusty used to insist:
1. Agreed.

I think C&D is marketing to a trend.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:58 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:39 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 pm
coco wrote:
Rusty used to insist:
1. Agreed.

I think C&D is marketing to a trend.
Rusty also used to say that one good reason for cellaring was not to age tobacco, but to have a supply of your favorite tobaccos in the event that those tobaccos were to become unavailable.

He said that more and more often as more severe FDA restrictions on tobacco sales first became likely, then became reality.

It was Rusty’s persistent worries in this regard that changed me from a two or three tins and a jar or two of bulk tobacco in the house at any one time to a person who created a cellar and stocked it.

Now, I’m glad I did.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:53 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Rusty also used to say that one good reason for cellaring was not to age tobacco, but to have a supply of your favorite tobaccos in the event that those tobaccos were to become unavailable.
That and to satisfy my high-function hoarding tendencies.