odds and ends and the dump mix

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

odds and ends and the dump mix

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:30 pm

I have a mess-o-tobacco opened. I have a bowl and a half or so of about 8 different tobaccos sitting on a shelf. I also have opened bags and tins that need to be smoked...not a lot of tobacco weight wise, but its kind of sloppy and if I have a good smoke and want to repeat...well nope I am now out of that one...

Last time I was in this situation, it all went into a mixing bowl and mixed up and jarred...it was ok but I am trying to not look at the un-opened tins and jars till I get this smoked...I have no willpower when it come to popping the top on a new tin.

What do you do when you get down to the last of several blends?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Re: odds and ends and the dump mix

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:30 pm
I have a mess-o-tobacco opened. I have a bowl and a half or so of about 8 different tobaccos sitting on a shelf. I also have opened bags and tins that need to be smoked...not a lot of tobacco weight wise, but its kind of sloppy and if I have a good smoke and want to repeat...well nope I am now out of that one...

Last time I was in this situation, it all went into a mixing bowl and mixed up and jarred...it was ok but I am trying to not look at the un-opened tins and jars till I get this smoked...I have no willpower when it come to popping the top on a new tin.

What do you do when you get down to the last of several blends? I have never encountered this. Faithful Piper since 1982.
It's my understanding that taking this and that and mixing up a home brew and then giving it away works well.

:P
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:08 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 pm
Bloodhound wrote:

What do you do when you get down to the last of several blends? I have never encountered this. Faithful Piper since 1982.
It's my understanding that taking this and that and mixing up a home brew and then giving it away works well.

:P
Well Played! God bless TF
Scott ( aka - Thor )

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:57 pm

I used to keep a small glass, well sealed jar on my desk as a dump jar for that last little bit of tobacco or to toss in something I just was not going to finish and didn't want to toss out. I would occasionally give the jar a good shake and have a bowl. It was adequate as a tobacco in that it satisfied my desire to smoke, but that was all. I can not honestly say I ever actually enjoyed it or looked forward to it.

Somewhere on these boards in a thread I could not find, Rusty gave me his method which I took to be exactly what was meant to be for all such tobacco.

Whenever you finish a tin, take that last little pinch that isn't quite enough to fill a bowl, and then fill the rest of the bowl with the next tin you just opened. Enjoy 1 single bowl of mixed up stuff, both of which you like, then you are back on to the next tin full bore.

As far as a tin that you have decided not to finish for whatever reason, either give it away or be realistic enough to know it's not for you and toss it out. That was hard for me as I am a world renowned cheapskate, but I found it to be productive. It's like opening the cabinet in the kitchen and finding canned goods that have been out of date for several years. You toss them out and wonder why you ever bought them in the first place!

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:36 pm

I don't dump Aros. For some reason that never goes well for me.
Virginia, Balkans, Burleys and everything else go into the Trinity Mixture jar.
Why Trinity? It's a mystery!
And it ain't bad, either!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:45 pm

My current one is mostly heavy burley remnants with a bit of random aro mixed in. It's actually quite good.

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:36 pm
I don't dump Aros. For some reason that never goes well for me.
Virginia, Balkans, Burleys and everything else go into the Trinity Mixture jar.
Why Trinity? It's a mystery!
And it ain't bad, either!
Your trinity mixture contains more than three ingredients and I’m having a hard time with that. :)

I don’t dump. I mean, I don’t dump tobacco. I don’t understand why one would. Little pinches get smoked or chucked. Really bad tobacco gets given to the poor or chucked.

Bad tobacco is like bad wine. It isn’t going to improve.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Bloodhound wrote:

Put it in the dump mix for that year and then send it off in a secret Santa package.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:34 pm

I have 2 dump jars, one for aros, and one for English, VaPer, Virginia, etc, one is good the other is Meh.
edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:23 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm
Bloodhound wrote:

Put it in the dump mix for that year and then send it off in a secret Santa package.
:)
Scott ( aka - Thor )