Peterson Hyde Park = Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Adam Z
Elder
Elder

Peterson Hyde Park = Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake?

Post by Adam Z » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:03 am

I cannot recall exactly where I read this, but it's been said that Peterson Hyde Park (which I thoroughly enjoy) is actually blended by Gawith Hoggarth Co. I was perusing the massive list of all the GH blends that SmokingPipes got in stock, and I noticed that Rum Flake was one of the first blends to sell out.

Here's the description of Rum Flake:
A very rich, sweet fully flavored blend. The main feature is the high proportion of naturally sweet sun-cured tobaccos in the blend - over 40%. Only 30% Virginia leaf, with the rest of the blend coming from Burleys and Dark-air cured contribute to a rich, but rewarding smoke. The whole blend is cased in maple sugars to further enhance the natural sweetness of the sun cured leaf and then rounded off with a dash of rum.
This sounds suspiciously familiar to a fan of Hyde Park, the description of which follows:
Peterson's Hyde Park is a traditional English blend of bright and dark fired Virginias, sun-cured Indian and Burley tobaccos. This luxurious smoking experience is achieved by the addition of rum and maple sugars to pressed mahogany tobacco.
I'd order an ounce or two of Rum Flake to be able to compare, but, as mentioned above, it's sold out in bulk and tin. I did sign up to be notified whenever they get it in stock again.

Anybody here have any experience with both blends?

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Peterson Hyde Park = Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake?

Post by DAN » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:40 am

I was wondering the same thing. I got a notification, but they were all sold out by the time I read it.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

"The KKK and all other white supremacists are conservatives of the worst sort, trying to remake America into the country it was before black Americans had power and rights."--TNLP

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 am

You both might check with 4 Noggins, they might have some.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Adam Z
Elder
Elder

Post by Adam Z » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:58 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 am
You both might check with 4 Noggins, they might have some.
Unless they just updated their site in the last 2 hours, they've not gotten around to posting whatever stock they might have received.

OR Goose cleaned them out before any GH got posted. :lol:

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:14 pm

PM on its way
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Adam Z
Elder
Elder

Post by Adam Z » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Well, I just called Jeff and got a 4oz order of Rum Flake coming. Apparently some kind of in-stock email notification system is on the shortlist of new features coming when they overhaul the website soon. I'd have loved to have ordered more from him, but after the kilo I ordered from SmokingPipes yesterday I'm tapped out.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:17 pm

I like Rum Flake. It's flavorful and has a nice strength to it.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:51 pm

I don't know if anyone's still looking, but I just ordered 4 oz of Rum Flake from pipesandcigars dot com. Not my favorite vendor (I don't think they treat their stocks as well as they do at smokingpipes dot com), but they had some.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

"The KKK and all other white supremacists are conservatives of the worst sort, trying to remake America into the country it was before black Americans had power and rights."--TNLP

Adam Z
Elder
Elder

Post by Adam Z » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:02 pm

I phoned in an order of 4oz bulk Rum Flake to Jeff @ 4Noggins last week. He has some GH stuff in stock that isn't posted on the website. I received it yesterday, but I've not smoked any of it yet.