Pirate Kake Adventure

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Pirate Kake Adventure

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:16 pm

I ordered 12 ounces of C&D Pirate Kake last night. I hear that it is mostly Perique. What can I expect? Looking for your opinions before I form my own.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies

Re: Pirate Kake Adventure

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm

It is mostly Latakia. Far as I know there is no Perique to be seen.

You can expect a deep rich Latakia smoking experience.

I think it'll take you 8 years 5 months and 4 days to make your way through that mail call.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:42 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:31 pm

I think it'll take you 8 years 5 months and 4 days to make your way through that mail call.
Ha ha. I must have misremembered what I heard. Looking forward to it. I used to be a nicotine junkie but now my old body can only take it in moderation now, so you may be underestimating how long it will take me to smoke it up.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Adam Z
Elder
Elder

Post by Adam Z » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Early in my pipe smoking, I thought I really wanted to try Pirate Kake. Now I really don't care. I also ordered 16 ounces of PS English Oriental Supreme after that was the first blend I smoked, and I enjoyed smoking the 1oz that I bought at the local shop. I got that 16oz order in from P&C in mid April, and I have only smoked a third of it. I did the not so uncommon thing of diving into english blends, only to find over a bit of time, that as I got used to the pipe, I really started developing a taste for Virginias and Burleys, and I only smoke a bowl or two of english per week. :lol:

But do let us know how your Pirate Kake adventure goes. Who knows - you might find that you really enjoy smoking a blend that is 75% latakia. 8O
On land, on sea, at home, abroad, I smoke my pipe and worship God.
- J.S. Bach

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 pm

DepartedLight wrote:

yup the Perique bomb from C&D Is Bayou Nights its stout with Perique.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Exclusive is pretty much that way too, 50% perique.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:15 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 pm
DepartedLight wrote:

yup the Perique bomb from C&D Is Bayou Nights its stout with Perique.
Note to self: Never procure C&D Bayou Nights.
DL Jake

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:10 am

Steverino wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:41 pm
Exclusive is pretty much that way too, 50% perique.
I've got two jars of Exclusive that I bought in 2015. I only smoke it every once in a while. I smoked a bowl yesterday as a matter of fact. It smells sour to me in the jar but when I smoke it, it's kind of buttery tasting at first. I like it occasionally but not often.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:52 am

12 ounces of C&D Pirate Kake seems like a lot. But I hope you may enjoy it.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm

My Haunted Bookshop and Pirate Kake was delivered today. 16 ounces instead of 12. Anyway, I smoked a bowl of Pirate Kake in a Savinelli Roma that I also just got and I must be weird because I loved that Pirate Kake. I thought it would be too strong in nicotine for me to really enjoy but to me it's not as strong as Old Joe Krantz or even Plum Pudding. I really enjoyed it. I will be smoking it often I think. I'm not expert enough to distinguish different notes and flavors of pipe tobacco. I just seem to like or dislike it overall and I do like this stuff. It got better the further down the bowl it burned. Good stuff. I put it in a couple of quart canning jars and also jarred up the Haunted Bookshop but I took the advice to get some half pint jars too so I don't have to open it as often. I have some Old Joe Krantz jarred up form 2017 and some Luxury Navy Flake and C&D Exclusive. I have tin of Mac Barren HH Burley Flake and a tin of Mac Barren HH Old Fired Burley Flake arriving tomorrow too. I may just let them sit and age for a while...or maybe not.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 pm

Stanley76 wrote: ... Anyway, I smoked a bowl of Pirate Kake in a Savinelli Roma that I also just got and I must be weird because I loved that Pirate Kake.
Weird to love Pirate Kake? Oh no, sir.

Unless it's just you and me. Well, then it might be weird.
DL Jake

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:02 pm

Latakia blends are fantastic, lots of flavor, lower nicotine, typically. Never tried Pirate Kake, but it’s on my list. Try Lancers Slices sometime if you want some VA with your Lat.
Sola Deo Gloria

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:12 am

Gabriel wrote: Never tried Pirate Kake, but ...
DL Jake

stoshdwalsh
Congregation
Congregation

Post by stoshdwalsh » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:25 am

Pirate Kake was one of the first tobaccos I tried. Loved it instantly, to the surprise of my local tobacconist, lol

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:54 am

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:02 pm
Latakia blends are fantastic, lots of flavor, lower nicotine, typically. Never tried Pirate Kake, but it’s on my list. Try Lancers Slices sometime if you want some VA with your Lat.
I've got some Mac Barren HH Latakia Flake on the way too.

Speaking of Latakia, I was watching a Youtube Live Feed (Classical Pipes) last night and the commenter was saying that Syrian Latakia is no more and Cyprian Latakia is dwindling away too. He said that tobacco companies are spraying tobacco with a casing that makes them tasty smoky and claiming that is Latakia. He said this is the future of Latakia tobacco because soon there won't be any real latakia left. I'm skeptical of that but what do you guys think, or know about this?

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:54 am
Gabriel wrote:

Speaking of Latakia, I was watching a Youtube Live Feed (Classical Pipes) last night and the commenter was saying that Syrian Latakia is no more and Cyprian Latakia is dwindling away too. He said that tobacco companies are spraying tobacco with a casing that makes them tasty smoky and claiming that is Latakia. He said this is the future of Latakia tobacco because soon there won't be any real latakia left. I'm skeptical of that but what do you guys think, or know about this?
Absolutely. That's been happening for years. And you can tell the difference if you get a bargain bin English and then put it up against Good stuff.

It's a shame, but it's a combination of Monsanto-Style mega agriculture and the fact that that oriental farmer is probably a tech worker now.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Pirate Kake
A smooth, robust blend with lots (75%!) of exceptional latakia accompanied by Turkish and burley, Pirate Cake by Cornell & Diehl is a latakia lover's treasure.

Brand: Cornell & Diehl
Blended By: Craig Tarler
Manufactured By: Cornell & Diehl
Blend Type: English
Contents: Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
Flavoring: None
Cut: Krumble Kake
No perique.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:57 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:20 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Absolutely. That's been happening for years. And you can tell the difference if you get a bargain bin English and then put it up against Good stuff.

It's a shame, but it's a combination of Monsanto-Style mega agriculture and the fact that that oriental farmer is probably a tech worker now.
That is depressing. I'm new to latakia, so at least I don't know what I am missing. But I wonder what the chemical latakia flavor they are spraying on the tobacco is. And are they making fraudulent claims when they say a blend contains latakia when it actually just contains latakia flavoring? And why can't they grow latakia tobacco in Israel or other countries over there?

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:27 pm

I'd like to try it again someday.

Unfortunately, I burned out on Lats over 15 years ago or more
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Death Wish and its progeny are some of the greatest films of the 1970s. If one disagrees with this, he is a foolish man with no taste." ~ TNLP

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:57 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:20 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

That is depressing. I'm new to latakia, so at least I don't know what I am missing. But I wonder what the chemical latakia flavor they are spraying on the tobacco is. And are they making fraudulent claims when they say a blend contains latakia when it actually just contains latakia flavoring? And why can't they grow latakia tobacco in Israel or other countries over there?
I dont know if fraudulent. People have been smoking artificial Perique for years.

The middle east doesnt have a uniform climate. Israel is a sandbox, Lebanon does not have a desert. All of Israel's agriculture, to my knowledge, is based on really sophisticated desalination and is geared towards food. Add to the fun, Latakia is a mountain strain of burley and the flavor comes from being smoked--it's sort of artificial to begin with.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.