Expanding my Horizons advice request

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Expanding my Horizons advice request

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:31 pm

I have smoked basic OTC tobacco for years, SWR, PA, CH. I like burleys and Virginias. I really love PS Luxury Navy Flake for example and I have some Plum Pudding which I like in limited quantities and Balkan Sasieni. I recently ordered 16 ounces each of Haunted Bookshop and Pirate Kake. I may have messed up on the Pirate Kake.

Anyway, I bought 12 quart canning jars today for future cellaring. I've got some Old Joe Krantz, Exclusive, Plum Pudding, Peter Stokkebyes Luxury Navy Flake and some tubs of SWR, CH and PA in my cabinet. I want to try some new types and brands of tobaccos. So what do you guys suggest? I'm thinking I should try some tins before ordering in bulk. I need some input to expand my horizons. I have been a drugstore brand smoker for a long time and I am ignorant on the other tobaccos. Years ago when I was a member here a really nice guy sent me some bullseye tobacco which was great. Anyway, any input as to tobaccos that a burley and virginia loving smoker would like to cellar will be appreciated.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: Expanding my Horizons advice request

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 pm

I would otherwise recommend McClelland Virginia blends but they closed. But G.L. Pease has some good blends. Google G.L. Pease Fog City Selections. Also, Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith make form fine flake tobaccos in bulk and you can buy by the ounce to see which ones you like.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:10 pm

Half pint jars.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip

Post by DAN » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:19 pm

I wouldn't be ashamed of the codger tobaccos at all. Nothing wrong with them. I like both SWR and Half and Half. But to get to your question, I think it might help people if they knew what tastes and aromas you like. What do you like to eat? To drink? Coffee with cream and sugar, or black and unsweetened, the way God intended? Chocolate? Vanilla? Bitter flavors? Sweet? Acidic? What is it you like about LNF? The mild dose of pepperiness from the perique?

There are a million things to try. For a burley blend, personally, I love C& D's Golden Ash. I hear that their Burley Flake #1 is not to be missed. I love Mac Baren Old Dark Fired ready rubbed. I like C & D Red Carpet. I could go on for quite a while!
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

If Mexican immigrants mostly voted Republican, Democrats would have already built a wall you could see from space.

"Democrats don’t care about black people, we’re just pawns in a game for them to gain political power for themselves.”"--Candace Owens

DAN
Mr. Miracle Whip
Mr. Miracle Whip

Post by DAN » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm

And the Judge is right about the jars.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

If Mexican immigrants mostly voted Republican, Democrats would have already built a wall you could see from space.

"Democrats don’t care about black people, we’re just pawns in a game for them to gain political power for themselves.”"--Candace Owens

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:31 pm
I have smoked basic OTC tobacco for years, SWR, PA, CH. I like burleys and Virginias. I really love PS Luxury Navy Flake for example and I have some Plum Pudding which I like in limited quantities and Balkan Sasieni.
It is easy to collect more tobacco than you can smoke in your lifetime. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but just be mindful.

The PS Luxury Flake series is a winner for virginia lovers. Great tobaccos, still readily available at a great price.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/?q= ... bye+luxury

Codger burleys are a satisfying and reliable staple. The Hearth & Home Mid-Town series are tubs of excellence, blended in homage to the venerable drugstore blends of old.
We did a group-share tasting a few years ago. The Chatham Manor (clone of Carter Hall) was a favorite with its light topping of cocoa.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/?q=mid-town
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:25 pm

My advice would be to get a couple of tins of different categories of tobaccos: English, straight Virginia, aromatic, Virginia/Perique, etc. After getting an idea of whaich categories you like, maybe try a few more tobaccos within each of them.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:15 pm

I've started exploring G L Pease in McClelland's sad departure from the marketplace.
C'mon in, the tobacco's fine! :pipe2:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. I appreciate all of you taking time to respond.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 am

I didn't see it mentioned above, so I'll offer this idea, its what I did...or one of the things I did when in your situation.

Find a local shop take 2 pipes and try the samplers. Tell the clerk that you are looking to try some different styles and then take your time and smoke a sample of one and then compare that to a different style. When I did this I just filled the bowl 1/4 full. The samples are there so you don't have to "fly blind" and when you find a style that you like, they can help you select a few within that style.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:14 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 pm
I would otherwise recommend McClelland Virginia blends but they closed. But G.L. Pease has some good blends. Google G.L. Pease Fog City Selections. Also, Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith make form fine flake tobaccos in bulk and you can buy by the ounce to see which ones you like.
Yeah, get some Gawith Hoggarth tobacco. The stuff is premium. The structure and base leaf they use is always top notch...the ropes & flakes they make can't be beat in those regards. The toppings they use are unique and sometimes over-the-top. An acquired taste. They are sometimes polarizing. They also tend to be stronger in nicotine.

Try: Ennerdale Flake for an unique experience or Sweet Coconut Twist for a great example of a lightly scented rope.

Gawith Hoggargh @ Smokingpipes.com
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH