hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Re: Ogden’s Gold Block

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:35 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:31 pm
I miss Hugo.
Me, too. I've had the plague for a week. Work, home, sleep. Turning the corner. I have a load here and am going to split it into two packages. I took a bunch and I'm putting in a bunch. Will let you two know when they ship.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:05 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:35 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
I miss Hugo.
Me, too. I've had the plague for a week. Work, home, sleep. Turning the corner. I have a load here and am going to split it into two packages. I took a bunch and I'm putting in a bunch. Will let you two know when they ship.
all because of Gold Block?

No worries brother, I have plenty to smoke through. Though if samples of the Dark Fragrant and the Drucquer make it into my box that would be super cool too.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:43 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:05 pm
hugodrax wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
I miss Hugo.

No worries brother, I have plenty to smoke through. Though if samples of the Dark Fragrant and the Drucquer make it into my box that would be super cool too.
We talking about the box pass?
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

rgcurrey

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:50 pm

arank87 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:43 am
rgcurrey wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
I miss Hugo.

yup
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:23 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:50 pm
arank87 wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
I miss Hugo.

yup
Yes. Everything will go out Monday. I put a lot into the box pass, so I'm going to split it up so nobody gets a twenty dollar mailing fee or too many to test and try. I also need to ship out the samples of Gold Blech.

I will alert everyone with tracking numbers on Monday morning. Thanks for your patience and good smoking (except for the former Ogden's fans)!

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:58 am

:thumbsup:

This thread took a wonderful turn!

:!: Very well done Hugo,
most excellent.

Now,
I expect a triumvirate of reviews here from you lads. :pipe:

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:23 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:50 pm
arank87 wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
rgcurrey wrote:
I miss Hugo.

yup
Yes. Everything will go out Monday. I put a lot into the box pass, so I'm going to split it up so nobody gets a twenty dollar mailing fee or too many to test and try. I also need to ship out the samples of Gold Blech.

I will alert everyone with tracking numbers on Monday morning. Thanks for your patience and good smoking (except for the former Ogden's fans)!
Sample has arrived. Thanks, Hugo! I will post my thoughts ASAP.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:10 pm

Well I just fired it up in my Dunny. It’s a very natural tasting Virginia. A hint of a plum topping but very subtle. It’s burning nicely. So far I like it. I could do with a lot more of the top note and more sweetness though.

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:59 am

arank87 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:10 pm
Well I just fired it up in my Dunny. It’s a very natural tasting Virginia. A hint of a plum topping but very subtle. It’s burning nicely. So far I like it. I could do with a lot more of the top note and more sweetness though.
Thanks for your impressions.

If someone made a match with a fuller flavor, they could call it Bold Glock! :yes:

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:47 am

philofumo wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:59 am
arank87 wrote:

If someone made a match with a fuller flavor, they could call it Bold Glock! :yes:
I won’t say it tastes like hot air (my impression of 1Q) but it is a little bland. Not bad at all just not bursting with flavor. I had second pipe going with Carter Hall which had a much more pronounced flavor in comparison.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:41 am

arank87 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:47 am
philofumo wrote:
arank87 wrote:

I won’t say it tastes like hot air (my impression of 1Q) but it is a little bland. Not bad at all just not bursting with flavor. I had second pipe going with Carter Hall which had a much more pronounced flavor in comparison.
Tastes like Gauloise to me.

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:50 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:41 am
arank87 wrote:
philofumo wrote:
arank87 wrote:

That’s interesting! I haven’t had a Gauloise in years. I used to buy them at the pipe store where I bought my first pipe when I was 19. Those were good cigs.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:09 pm

arank87 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:50 am
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:41 am
arank87 wrote:
philofumo wrote:
arank87 wrote:

That’s interesting! I haven’t had a Gauloise in years. I used to buy them at the pipe store where I bought my first pipe when I was 19. Those were good cigs.
I puffed on a bowl from a sample Hugo sent (thanks Hugo!), today on the way home from the post office. Offhand my immediate reaction is that it reminds me of how I remember 1Q. Not too bad a smoke but a little bland. Lights good, makes good Ash that stays in the bowl, etc. This was a good pact to make. Let's do another.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm

I had a bowl last night as well. This time I tried it in a big pipe, my Dunhill ODA. That was much better for some reason. The slight fruit topping (plum?) came out more. It was reminiscent of a very, very mildly topped version of Royal Yacht. Still, pretty bland truth be told. A well-behaved blend though. No bite, clean white ash, very little moisture left in the heel.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:11 pm

arank87 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm
I had a bowl last night as well. This time I tried it in a big pipe, my Dunhill ODA. That was much better for some reason. The slight fruit topping (plum?) came out more. It was reminiscent of a very, very mildly topped version of Royal Yacht. Still, pretty bland truth be told. A well-behaved blend though. No bite, clean white ash, very little moisture left in the heel.
Yeah, a second bowl tonight while working on decorations in the front yard had much more umph. It may be one of those that sort of slips up on you.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

arank87
Elder
Elder

Post by arank87 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:39 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:11 pm
arank87 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm
Yeah, a second bowl tonight while working on decorations in the front yard had much more umph. It may be one of those that sort of slips up on you.
The price is still be big problem. It’s over $15 for 50g. That’s not right. Should be $10. But overall I like it.