Alastair says possibly maybe
50%

Total votes: 2

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Rattrays Stirling Flake VS Irish Flake- close but no cigar

Post by Jocose » Tue May 05, 2020 10:02 pm

Rattrays Stirling Flake- close to PIF but no cigar, unfortunately.

My original supply of early 2000's Irish Flake is finally dwindling down. I'll be opening tins of my remaining stock very sparingly from here on out.

I bought some Rattrays Stirling flake several years ago with the hope it would be just like the old Irish Flake.

Sorely disappointed that it isn't.

Stirling Flake is still a decent smoke, it sure seems to be devoid of vitamin N but it is smooth, leathery, earthy and kinda "Plummy" enjoyable for what it is.

This is the ONE thing I hate about our pipe tobacco world. Our old tried and true eventually disappear.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Re: Rattrays Stirling Flake VS Irish Flake- close but no cigar

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 06, 2020 6:40 am

That is disappointing. I like Kohlhase und Kopp as a general rule and would have bought with confidence. That let's me know not to bother with their supposed match to Erinmore Flake.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 pm

The Rattrays Stirling flake is quickly becoming a favorite.

That is all.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Wed May 27, 2020 2:29 pm

I really liked Stirling Flake. I got some from Goose in a box pass a while back.

I thought it was very simlar to the old Irish Flake.

My taste may not be as discriminating as Jocose's. Also, I've probably smoked 6-8 tins of the old Irish Flake, but I suspect Jocose has me beat by quite a bit on that measure.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed May 27, 2020 3:16 pm

michigander wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:29 pm
I really liked Stirling Flake. I got some from Goose in a box pass a while back.

My taste may not be as discriminating as Jocose's. Also, I've probably smoked 6-8 tins of the old Irish Flake, but I suspect Jocose has me beat by quite a bit on that measure.
So, yeah, SF is close and the more I smoke the more I like it.

Also working through the new Peterson Irish flake along with the Stirling.

The new PIF is lovely as well, very similar in appearance to Stirling, also very sweet compared to both Stirling and the old Irish flake. Very enjoyable.

michigander

Post by michigander » Wed May 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:16 pm
michigander wrote:

The new PIF is lovely as well, very similar in appearance to Stirling, also very sweet compared to both Stirling and the old Irish flake. Very enjoyable.
To my taste the Stirling tasted more like the Old Irish flake than the new Irish Flake tasted like old Irish Flake.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 27, 2020 3:20 pm

How is the vitamin N hit...any better than your first assessment?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Wed May 27, 2020 8:45 pm

I haven't smoked any Stirling Flake in a while but smoked two or three tins when it first came out. First thing I thought was, wow, this tastes just like Irish Flake. I don't like the post-2013 Irish Flake as well as the previous version and now i can't remember which one the SF reminded me of. I'll have to get some more SF and try it again.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:51 pm

Jocose wrote: This is the ONE thing I hate about our pipe tobacco world. Our old tried and true eventually disappear.
Jo, I can relate. I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately: Losing friends and blends.

Glad to hear you’re making a new friend in SF.
"What's wrong with you people? " - R.C. Sproul

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:35 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:20 pm
How is the vitamin N hit...any better than your first assessment?
A little lighter on the N vs the OG and current PIF.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:39 pm

Ok, I've smoked 250gr of Stirling flake and 250g of the current Peterson Irish flake.

The Stirling is definitely cased, a good casing at that.

The current PIF is closer to the original in taste and strength, IMHO

Both are delicious and I'm stocking the cellar with both.

michigander

Post by michigander » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:45 pm

michigander wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:19 pm
Jocose wrote:
michigander wrote:

To my taste the Stirling tasted more like the Old Irish flake than the new Irish Flake tasted like old Irish Flake.
I am now 4 bowls into a recent purchase of Rattray's Sterling Flake (round tin).

I retract my statement. This doesn’t taste as much like the old Irish Flake as the Square-tin Sterling Flake that I got from Goose in a box pass. It is still a decent smoke, but it is missing that "sandalwood" note that I liked so much in Irish Flake.

I must now return to the new Irish Flake, but my hopes are low as I seem to remember it lacking there as well.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:36 pm

michigander wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:45 pm
michigander wrote:
Jocose wrote:
michigander wrote:

I am now 4 bowls into a recent purchase of Rattray's Sterling Flake (round tin).

I retract my statement. This doesn’t taste as much like the old Irish Flake as the Square-tin Sterling Flake that I got from Goose in a box pass. It is still a decent smoke, but it is missing that "sandalwood" note that I liked so much in Irish Flake.

I must now return to the new Irish Flake, but my hopes are low as I seem to remember it lacking there as well.
Yep, forgot to mention The square tins vs the newer round tins of Stirling Flake...

Theres a noticable difference between the 2 regarding Stirling Flake.

I prefer the square tins of Strling.

I prefer the new Peterson Irish flake to the round tins of Stirling.

WHAT A MESS DEAR PIOE TIBACCO MAKERS PLEASE MAKE SOME CONSISTENT TOBACCO AND KEEP PRODUCTION UP FOREVER THANK YOU

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:44 pm

Now I want to get a tin of Stirling. Haven’t had that one yet.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:11 am

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:36 pm
michigander wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:45 pm
michigander wrote:
Jocose wrote:
michigander wrote:

Yep, forgot to mention The square tins vs the newer round tins of Stirling Flake...

Theres a noticable difference between the 2 regarding Stirling Flake.

I prefer the square tins of Strling.

I prefer the new Peterson Irish flake to the round tins of Stirling.

WHAT A MESS DEAR PIOE TIBACCO MAKERS PLEASE MAKE SOME CONSISTENT TOBACCO AND KEEP PRODUCTION UP FOREVER THANK YOU
TheImpudent called.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH